It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2004, 08:16 AM   #1

PajamaMomma HB User
Tubal Ligation - pros and cons

Hi. I'm am seriously concidering having a Tubal Ligation done. I have tried several methods of BC, but none work for me. 1. the pill- I'm a smoker, and also allergic to most BC pills. 2. condoms- causes severe vaginal irritation, and feels like a dry snapping rubberband inside of me. 3. Depo-Provera - caused me to gain over 30lbs, and always made me feel and act as if I had severe PMS. 4. contraceptive foams - leaves me with a horrible burning feeling that makes me want to not have sex at all.

I am married, and going on 27 yrs old. I also have 2 children, both going on 8 and 3. Both of my children are specialneeds, my oldest has Cerebral Palsy and my younger boy has ADHD. My second pregnancy was very hard,I was sick the entire time, and my bloodpressure was really high. He became stuck in the birth canal and I had an emergency C-section (he was also almost 2 weeks late).

I feel that I have enough to handle with the 2 kids I have now...but wouldn't change having them for anything! They are my universe! My husband and I have both agreed that not having any more children would be in all our best interests. We feel that having another child would be unfair to all of our kids, considering all the extra work the 2 we have require. I would hate for one child to suffer because we are too busy caring for the others. Yes, of couse...I have occcasionally had "baby fever", but it always passes. Other forms of BC just does not work well for me, so I'm stuck having to make this hard decision.

If anyone can help me out with giving some pros and cons about having the surgery it would be a great help! Also, if anyone who has had this done has any info or advice for me, that would be great!! I know this got pretty long, and I thank everyone who has taken the time to read it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 08:37 AM   #2

kaosmom HB User
Re: Tubal Ligation - pros and cons

You might want to read about 'Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome' before you make this decision. I had Tubal Ligation years ago and every since then I have had problems. The doctor who did the Tubal Ligation never told me about the side effects Tubal Ligation causes. The only good about this I don't have to worry about having any more children (I already have 4 girls) don't get me wrong my children are my life and I would not give them up for anything in this world, but if I would have know the side effects I might had have the Tubal Ligation in the first place. In the end the only one who make this decision is you and your husband. Good luck to you and your family.

Last edited by kaosmom; 06-25-2004 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added more information

Old 06-25-2004, 08:47 AM   #3

PajamaMomma HB User

Thank you for your reply! I have read a little about complications after the surgery...but not alot. I still have more research to do before I make a final decision. My mother had the tubal ligation done a few months after my birth, and she said the only problems she had was unusually heavy periods and extra cramping for abour 6 months after. Of course, all people are different and have different reactions. I will take your advice and read about 'Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome'. Thanks again for your reply!!

Old 06-25-2004, 08:58 AM   #4

kaosmom HB User

Here is a list of the problems I Have had since I had the Tubal Ligation done a few years again.. I am not sure if Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome is my problem as the doctor thinks it is all in my head. My doctors told me that is was very safe, I didn't learn about Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome until someone on this board told me about. Until I go to my doctor and talk to her about this I will not for sure all I know is right after I had the surgery my most of my problems started. Once again here is a list of the problem I am having.
Hi all, I am 35 years old and the mother of 4 girls. I am new to this board. I am trying to find some answers to some problems I have been having I will list them .

Headaches, (sometimes I get a really sharp on the side of my head that last a minutes)
weight gain,
fatigue,
always being cold,
irregular periods,
decreased sexual interest
pain with intercourse,
pain for about week or so after intercourse,
vaginal dryness,
irritability,
Thinning of eyebrows,
Weakness,
constipation (sometimes), Nausea, Vomiting (sometimes),
Excessive body hair (hair on my upper lip),
Dry skin, and vague aches and pains.
Pelvic pain
I feel like I am running a low grade fever all the time too

Good luck to you in making this decision.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

I got my tubes tied about 2 years ago and it's the best thing I ever did. Not having to worry about birth control is great I have no complaints at all!

Old 06-25-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User

What about your husband having a vasectomy? From what I've read, it's much easier a surgery than tubal ligation for the woman. After all, you've been the one to bear the brunt of birth control, not to mention that emergency c-section (I hear ya there, same thing happened to me).

Whatever you decide, make sure that you are absolutely, positively never ever going to want another baby because it's awfully hard to reverse once tubes have been tied.

I never had to make that decision after two kids because for some unknown reason, we suffer from secondary infertility. I'd have loved to have had one more baby, but it was not to be, but that's okay...we're long past the grieving part and are happy with our two fine sons.

So, best of luck on what you decide.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:48 PM   #7

always confuzed HB User

i've had the tubal done and let me tell you it was the best thing i could have ever done. I get my period on time even and i never used to until the tubal. No complaints here either!

Old 06-25-2004, 05:11 PM   #8

sidnee74 HB User

I had a tubal four years ago (when I was 25) and now wish I never did. The problems from tubals seem to come after time. I know of several women who have problems like I do (including kaosmom). My dr even admitted today it looks like tubals may send you into menopause early. I had zero female problems before my tubal. It is a personal decision and you have to do what is best for you but I regret having done it. I agree you should research post tubal syndrome and talk to as many women as you can who have had it done. Your dr may not be of much help depending on his/her outlook on the subject (remember, they make money from these procedures). Best wishes to you.

Old 06-25-2004, 05:19 PM   #9

PajamaMomma HB User

Thank you all so much for your replies! Dianek- yes, my husband and I did talk about him having a vasectomy. But, our Ins. will not cover it, will only cover the tubal ligation.

I've done alot more research today, and also spoke to some female family members who have had the surgery. They have all said that it was easy and had no real problems afterwards. Of course, all of our bodies are different...so who knows how it would go for me. I'm still going to do more reading up on it before making a decision. But, I think I'm really leaning towards having the procedure done. I have a gyno app. next month, and may go ahead and ask about it. I know that there is now a 30 day waiting period before they will do the tubal ligation - just incase you change your mind.

Thanks again to you all! Anymore info or advice would be wonderful!!

Closed Thread