It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2004, 01:30 PM   #1

Sarara HB User
recurring, symptomless yeast infections

I'll start out with a little background....I am 22 years old, married, and my husband and I have been sexually active but monagamous for 6 years. We lost our virginity to each other. My point is, niether of us have any STDs.

My problem is, I went in for my anual exam today, and my doctor and I noticed that for the last three years, my pap smears have showed yeast cells. Every year, when my doctor calls with results, she just says "oh, and there were some yeast cells present in your pap smear, just use some antifungal cream to get rid of the infection." However, I never know that I have a yeast infection. I have had full-blown yeast infections before, and believe me, I noticed! But I don't understand how I can consistently for 3 years in a row show up to the doctor with no itching, no other symptoms of a yeast infection, and yet still always have one.

My doctor thought it might mean I have high blood sugar, but I was tested today and it was normal. I am very concerned, because I have heard that untreated yeast infections can negatively affect fertility, and my husband and I are planning on trying to concieve in a year or two, and for all I know, I have had a yeast infection for 3 years straight and never known it!

Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this problem?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

-Sara

Old 06-29-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
(female)

Vintage Wine HB User
Re: recurring, symptomless yeast infections

Some people just have a high yeast content in their bodies. Have you ever read the book The Yeast Connection? (I can't remember the author's name.)

Try to cut out yeasty foods (wine, beer, cheese, mushrooms, breads...and basically anything that's "aged" or "fermented") and see if that helps.

Drink lots and lots of water, too.

Also, take Acidophillus tablets. You can get them at any Eckerd's or Walgreen's or healthfood stores. Acidophillus kills the "bad" yeast in your body. Yogurt is rich in acidophillus.

I had an ear infection years ago that would not clear up. I went to an ear doctor and after they did a culture, it was determined it was yeast. Ewww! Anyway, that's when I found out about Acidophillus tablets.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2004, 03:20 PM   #3

Sarara HB User

Thanks for your response!

I have a question....I eat an 8oz container of yogurt every morning. Should I still take acidophilus tablets?

-Sara

Old 06-29-2004, 03:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Another thing is while treating yours you need to have your Dh treated as well. Men can have it and not have any signs as well. It could very easily be if condoms arent being used that he is passing it back to you once you have treated yourself. Have yoru dh talk to your doc or his and see if he might be passing it to you and what treatments he should have if he is.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 06-29-2004, 04:06 PM   #5
Veteran

Saka HB User

Depending on what acidophillus capsules you are taking, 1 tub of yoghurt will not match up. There is a product called Inner Health Plus which is very high in the good bacteria and they say that you would have to eat 22 tubs of yoghurt to match one capsule. The capsules and powders have a much higher concentration of the good bacteria.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Keep taking the yogurt! And I don't see how taking the acidophillus would hurt anything...yeah I've had "yeast" present as well and had noting but slight itching--and that's usually present anyway--and when I complain about it "nothing is wrong with you" is what I hear so go figure! Anyway, I know that yeasty foods can cause the yeast to show up like that and it NOT be a yeast INFECTIOn per se, so maybe a 2nd opinion is in order? Unless all your doctors you've seen have told you that...?

Closed Thread