It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2004, 07:39 PM   #1

TinkerBelle08 HB User
Question ?About "Tampax Pearl Tampons"?

I Heard somthing about "Tampax Pearl Tampons" being hazordous to your health? Has anyone else heard anything bad about this product.

Old 07-03-2004, 04:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: ?About "Tampax Pearl Tampons"?

My guess would be no. Tampons have to conform to strict guidlines before they can be put onto the market. Since they are used internaly they need to be tested, any chemicals used, the type of fiber used, even how they attach the string to the fibers is tested....they are safe. If you have any specific questions or concernes i have always found that emailing the company directly and asking questions is helpful...they generaly will answer any question that you have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2004, 05:21 AM   #3
Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle08
I Heard somthing about "Tampax Pearl Tampons" being hazordous to your health? Has anyone else heard anything bad about this product.
All tampons are bad for health, because they are preventing your vagina from cleaning itself out naturally, also keeping a nutritious blood soaked wad of fibre, full of oxygen into your vagina further allowing bacteria to breed.
Commercial tampons are more harmful again because they contain unnecessary chemicals and bleach, which affect your natural PH, which can throw off the bacterial balance.
Also bare in mind the mucosa does not have the keratinized squamous epithelium that your skin does, so it has not got the same protection as your skin, skin itself is absorbent, mucosa however is far more absorbent and so more likely to absorb the potentially harmful synthetic chemicals in the commercial tampons.
Here in the UK we have the Notification scheme adopted for tampons (1984) was updated as a UK Code of Practice (COP) for tampons and ratified by the DTI/DoH in November 1997, this insures that tampons cannot be bleached with chlorine-bleaching and cannot use synthetic fibres other than Rayon. I would imagine the US has a similar thing, although I am fairly certain they do still allow chlorine-bleaching, which results in dioxin – which is the biggest risk that commercial tampon manufacturers have put our way. Other than that tampon manufacturers are self-regulated and self-tested, that’s not to say they are totally unsafe however, they do test for things like fibre loss in their tampons, any faults found in a batch then the whole batch is destroyed.
Tampax at large are more harmful because they are commercial tampons, they are also owned by Proctor & Gamble who are far from trustworthy. Tampax are made in way that they expand lengthways, which can often lead to increased period pain due to expansion into the cervix.
There was something about this make of tampon specifically, but by large it was an urban myth, I think Tampax did one of their ever so common cover-ups of the issue, whether true or not. So Tampax Pearl Tampons are about as safe as any other Tampax or commercial tampon, which isn’t very safe at all, but they are still used every day.
If you are concerned about your health when it comes to menstrual products then take a look at line, there is plenty of information on the risks associated with different menstrual products – although be sure not to trust everything you read, only go by reliable sources. If you are worried about what you use then why not try menstrual cups, they are the only menstrual product with no health risks associated with them at all, Keeper & Mooncup offer a three month money back guarantee and Divacup offers a years money back guarantee, they have a LOT of advantages over tampons, not just that they are safer but also greener, cheaper and convenient, with the money back guarantee they are at least worth a try.

Old 07-03-2004, 06:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

This may sound like a really stupid question but just what exactly is the "cup"?i keep seeing this pop up from time to time in certain boards.i thought I was up to date on things, but I have absolutely no clue as to just what this is.Could someone please enlighten me?thanks,Marcia

Old 07-03-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad
This may sound like a really stupid question but just what exactly is the "cup"?i keep seeing this pop up from time to time in certain boards.i thought I was up to date on things, but I have absolutely no clue as to just what this is.Could someone please enlighten me?thanks,Marcia
A ‘cup’ is a menstrual cup, usually when people talk about cups they mean reusable bell shaped cups, either made from silicone or rubber – like the Keeper, Divacup or Mooncup. They go into your vagina with nothing external showing, you can leave them in for up to 12 hours, after which you remove, give a little clean and reinsert, after menstruation they are cleaned and stored – because of the materials used they can be fully sterilised if the user chooses, however all that is really necessary is a wash with soap and water before storing. Menstrual cups can also be used when you’re not menstruating without any risk, meaning that you can wear them before and after your period so not to get ‘caught short’. They allow your vagina to clean itself as it would naturally, they are chemical free, and do not encourage bacterial growth, as such cups are not associated with any vaginal infections.
They are the most popular of the tampon alternatives because they are safe, healthy, environmentally friendly, cheap, and convenient.

Another type of cup is the Instead softcups, these are disposable cups (although they can be used a few times before having to bin them), they are made from a soft plastic material and these are shaped like a diaphragm and so sit higher up in the vagina next to the cervix, which allows for mess free sexual intercourse during menstruation. They work much like conventional menstrual cups however are removed in a different way and disposed of after use. Again they carry similar advantages to reusable menstrual cups, safe and convenient, although not as cheap and not as environmentally friendly as the reusable menstrual cups.

Also they tend to be popular as Keeper and Mooncup offer a 3 month money back guarantee, Divacup offers 1 years money back guarantee and Instead’s offer free samples on their site, so it gives women a bit more of an incentive to give them a go despite some women being a little bit apprehensive due to them being different from commercial menstrual products most women are used to. I have yet to know one women who has sent their cup back after trying them, although I have heard of a few women experiencing leaking with Instead cups, but most who start off with Instead cups go on to use reusable menstrual cups.
In case your wondering, yes I do use one, and like every other women I know who uses them I wax lyrical about them because they are as good as they sound

Old 07-04-2004, 06:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Thanks Louise,i kind of figured it was something like what you described but wanted to know about the ins and outs.You gave an extremely informative description.I just have a question though,I am an extremely heavy bleeder during my periods,also lots of clotting.Would the cup be able to hold alot,or would i have to worry constantly about leaks?and isn;t it just a little messy when you try and remove them to empty?Thanks for being so helpful.Marcia

Old 07-04-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User

No problem, I’m sorry I couldn’t remember the exact issue with this particular make of tampon, there was an actual scare about that tampon, largely down to myth, but the information given there is true of all commercial tampons, including this one.

I’m a heavy bleeder myself, even on hormonal birth control I still have heavy periods and ‘clotting’ (menstrual blood has no platelets, so it can't actually clot, what you are referring to are more than likely larger pieces of uterine lining), I’ve not had any problems with using a menstrual cup myself, certainly it saved me a hell of a lot of tampon and pad changing. I’ve yet to leak with a cup, I can empty it in the morning, be out of the house all day and still not leak, I normally just empty in the morning before work and then in the shower last thing at night. The thing is as well as being able to hold a lot of fluid it creates a sort of seal to stop blood from leaking out.
I’ll put it this way, the average women bleeds between 2-4 ounces of menstrual flow per cycle, menstrual cups hold up to 1 ounce of menstrual flow, I only change mine twice a day, some women maybe need to change 3 times a day when they are heavy, but in general they still hold more than tampons or pads can.

As for being messy, I don’t find it messy, the blood stays inside the cup when you remove it, even if it tips a little on removal it all pretty much stays in place, I can then just lean over and give it a rinse in the basin or when I am emptying in the shower it’s easy as pie. I’ve only had to change it in public toilets twice, then rather than washing just emptying and either giving a wipe off with toilet paper or putting straight back in is enough. Sometimes you do get some blood on your hands from the outside of the cup if you have had it in for a while, however you wash your hands anyway, so it’s not that big of an issue. I still find them a lot more convenient than tampons or pads.

Old 07-04-2004, 09:58 AM   #8
Inactive

serenity111 HB User

ok, here is a question for you. i have never tried a menstrual cup, but i have used a diaphram before. a diaphram does not work for me! my cervix is so far up in my vagina, that i cant get it out. it is more of a pain than you can imagine. does the cup go in like the diaphram?

Old 07-04-2004, 10:10 AM   #9
Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User

Most menstrual cups are the bell shaped variety, so they sit low down in the vagina in the same sort of position as a tampon, there is a small ‘tab’ at the bottom to remove, on removal you either grab the tab, or bare down, grab the bottom of the cup and pull out – it’s very simple once you get the hang of it.

There are Instead softcups, they are more like a diaphragm and sit further up in the vagina next to the cervix, so with that said I wouldn’t recommend trying to use Instead’s, as you’ll probably have problems with those too.

Closed Thread