It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 09:39 AM   #1

WHITERIOT77 HB User
Vaginal discharge/lower abdomen pain...ovulating/cyst?

HI, i'm new to the boards and new in sexual activity, if you will. I have a few questions, and yes, this is a very long post but i'm fairly nervous so if you'd be so kind in answering them i'd so appreciate that...
My boyfriend and I fooled around a bit on the very last day of my period (june 31) yet we've never had sex and we're fairly careful in cleaning up ejaculation. The only time I can remember us being unsafe is when he had ejaculated on his stomach, it dried completely and i sat on his stomach (naked). This happened only once since now. Yesterday, i was feeling nauseous for most of the day with some pain near my uterus and mid abdomen (not cramping, it justfelt like the muscles were sore). This is around the time when i should be ovulating and i got the normal thick, whitish-clear discharge that i normally get. THe pain traveled to my right side (in the area of the appendix) and I alsmost went to the hospital becuase of it but it subsided and i could fall asleep. I am still sore today but not as much. About a year ago, a similar thing happened (with no possibility of sexual activity at all) and they also thought it was my appendix only i had developed a cyst on one of my ovaries. I'm so nervous now becuase of the factor of the sexual activity,although not much and it would probably have to be a freak accident if i did end up pregnant (...right?) but it's still unsettling and i'm very inexperienced so i would appreciate all your advice/comments/suggestions. THank you so much, sory about the length.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 11:43 AM   #2

countrymom HB User
Re: Vaginal discharge/lower abdomen pain...ovulating/cyst?

Sounds like Ovulation pains (Mittelschmerz). I get it every month. The first time I got it, I thought it was my appendix. It isn't so painful anymore and it's quite handy to know when I'm ovulating. Heres more info:

Mittelschmerz is the pelvic and lower abdominal pain that some women experience during ovulation. (Ovulation generally occurs about midway between menstrual cycles hence the term mittelschmerz, which comes from the German words for "middle" and "pain."

The pain of mittelschmerz can range from a mild twinge to severe discomfort and usually lasts from minutes to hours. In some cases, a small amount of vaginal bleeding or discharge may occur. Some women experience nausea, especially if the pain is severe.

Who Gets Mittelschmerz?

Many women never experience pain at ovulation. Some women, however, have mid-cycle pain every month and can determine by the pain that they are ovulating.

What Causes Mittelschmerz?

As an egg develops in the ovary, it is surrounded by follicular fluid. During ovulation, the egg and the fluid, as well as some blood, are released from the ovary. While the exact cause of mittelschmerz is unknown, it is believed that the fluid or blood may irritate the lining of the abdominal cavity, causing pain. The pain goes away once the body absorbs the fluid or blood.

How Do I Know if I Have Mittelschmerz?

Ovulation usually occurs about 2 weeks after the first day of each menstrual cycle, so the timing of the pain makes mittelschmerz easy to recognize. To help determine if your pain is related to ovulation, your doctor may ask you to chart your menstrual cycles, noting any episodes of pain, as well as the location of the pain (the pain of mittelschmerz usually occurs in the middle or side of your abdomen). Your doctor also may perform an abdominal and pelvic examination to help rule out other possible causes of pain, such as endometriosis or a cyst on your ovary. If your pain is severe or if the doctor notices any irregularities on the exam, he or she may order blood tests or X-rays to help determine the cause of your pain.

How Is Mittelschmerz Treated?

The pain usually goes away within about 24 hours, so specific treatment is not required. Over-the-counter pain medicines -- such as Aleve or Motrin (ibuprofen) -- generally are effective in relieving mittelschmerz. Women with particularly painful ovulation may find relief by taking birth control pills, which prevent ovulation.

Can Mittelschmerz Be Prevented?

Preventing ovulation, which can be done with birth control pills, is the only way to effectively prevent mittelschmerz.

When Should I Call my Doctor?

Call your doctor if you experience any of the following symptoms during ovulation:

Fever
Pain with urination
Redness or burning of the skin at the site of the pain
Vomiting
Mid-cycle pain lasting longer than a day
You should also call your doctor if you missed your last menstrual period.

Last edited by countrymom; 07-14-2004 at 11:43 AM.

Closed Thread