It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 01:33 PM   #1

MaryJet HB User
Do fibroid ever just "go away" or..

...are we stuck with them once we get them? Also, has anyone had a "pedunculated fibroid?", that's a fibroid on a stem, usually on the outside of the uterus. I'd like to hear your stories about fibroids.
Thanx , Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 05:52 PM   #2

lannie2006 HB User
Re: Do fibroid ever just "go away" or..

Hi - It's been my experience that they don't go away. After you go into menopause I understand they can shrink, but not go away. I've had fibroids inside the uterus which I've had removed twice and they continue to grow back. I'm not sure what kind you have, but if they aren't giving you any problems then just leave them alone. The ones inside the uterus can cause bleeding and cramping so I had no choice but the have them removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 06:35 PM   #3

MaryJet HB User

Hi Terri, you might have read on the other thread that I have three fibroids, two small ones on the uterus that give me no trouble, I didn't even know they were there, and one outside the uterus which I'm still being tested for. I was just wondering if they are going to be there for good. I am pre meno, so I'm hoping they will get even smaller. The one on the outside is 3 centimeters last time they checked, would you consider that big or small? The doctor tells me I need an MRI to see them better. I really don't want to have an operation.
Mary

Old 07-29-2004, 10:49 AM   #4

SpeisFamily HB User

Fibroids don't shrink, they grow. I had many fibroids in my uterous and had to have them removed beacause it caused so much pain I left work crying. After they were removed I have been pain free although my gno said he can feel there are some more in there by feeling my uterous, but as long as there is no pain, he said there is no need for surgery. I know that there is usually more pain with those on the stem and can cause more damage. I believe in prayer, with God all things are possible. Try praying, I have seen people miraculusly healed just by believing. And if that doesn't work, use the men and women God has given knowledge to remove these fibroids.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:50 AM   #5

MaryJet HB User

Hi SpeisFamily, I'm going to have to disagree with you on the fibroids not shrinking, the doctor said they do sometimes and I've read that they do when you go through menopause. I have been praying for good health for many years, I know prayer works and God doesn't give us more than we can handle, it just seems so overwhelming sometimes. Do you have pedunculated fibroids? I have one and it has never given me problems, I didn't even know about it until a while ago when they found it in a routine ultrasound. Now that I know it's there, I feel some discomfort. I also read that the pedunculated ones are very easy to remove because they are on a stem.
Mary

Old 07-29-2004, 06:55 PM   #6

SpeisFamily HB User

I had alot of fibroids all over the inside of my uterus. The Dr. said that my uterus was the size of a 3 month pregnant uterus. My Dr. is the one who said they would keep growing, but I was only 21 at the time so I suppose they would have. They did a laperoscopy (camera inserted in a cut in the belly button to look at the outside of the uterus), a hysteroscopy (camera inserted into the vagina to look at the inside of the uterus) and a D&C to remove them all. I am now 27 and don't have any pain although my Dr. said that he can feel more fibroids in there. But he said not to worry unless I have pain or severe bleeding. In fact I stopped taking the pill about a year ago and have only had 1 period, am trying to get pregnant so it is not the gift you would expect it to be. They said that tumors, wether benign or milignant triple in size during pregnancy. We'll see if I can ever get pregnant LOL

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 07-29-2004 at 06:59 PM.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:36 AM   #7

lannie2006 HB User

Fibroids do not go away, but yes, they can shrink when going thru Menopause. If you are not having any problems, then just leave it alone. I know women who have had fibroids for years and if they do not cause any problems the doctor just monitors them. Unfortunately, mine were inside the uterus and caused alot of heavy bleeding and cramping. Also, if you do have them removed, remember they can grow back. I didn't know this when I had my first surgery and within 1 1/2 years it had grown back. I had surgery again in March, 2004 and already it has grown back and I also have another one. The only way to get rid of fibroids forever is to have the uterus removed; which I am doing the end of August! Yhippee!!! No more periods!

Good luck to you!

Old 07-30-2004, 07:46 AM   #8

MaryJet HB User

Thanx again for your kind words Terri. I wish you good luck and a fast recovery. No periods, wow, how great is that! I have just been diagnosed and I'm 46, it was a bit of a shock, especially the one on the outside, I'm still going to get tested for that, I guess the doctor just wants to be sure its okay. Mine are no problem yet, I hope they don't grow.
Keep in touch!
Mary

Closed Thread