It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2004, 05:46 AM   #1
(female)

CannedFruit HB User
Question Breakthrough bleeding: too long, no period.

Has anyone ever experienced this ?

This is the week I'm supposed to be having my period (taking Zovia, placebo pills). Instead of having my regular period, I'm having a "breakthrough period". The past four days have been nothing but the brownish/black blood and even some brownish/black clots. I've been pretty regular for the past 6 months and it would figure it goes out of wack when my yearly check-up is coming around. Does anyone know if this is a sign of something? is my breakthrough lasting too long? anything else.. ?

Thanks in advance to any help!

Old 08-02-2004, 08:26 AM   #2

lucy_loo22 HB User
Re: Breakthrough bleeding: too long, no period.

Hey, I just recently went on the pill, and this is my first 7 day break, and I am getting the same thing as you, it's beginning to really worry, im not sure if I should just ignmore it, or be worried??
Lucy x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2004, 05:37 AM   #3
(female)

CannedFruit HB User

I had that too Lucy when I first started BC pills. It took me about 3 months to straighten out my periods. Good luck and be patient, it may take awhile to get into the groove of a regulated period.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:12 AM   #4
(female)

KarynLR HB User

Glad to see people are experiencing the same thing! Canned fruit, I had exactly the same "period week" as you, and was concerned. I had skipped my June period by throwing away the active pills and taking a new pack (I was going out of town, staying in a big house with a lot of people and I was on crutches, so I didn't want to worry about it.). I was expecting a heavy July period, but I only had spotting and blood clots. It concerned me, so when I went to see my gyn for a yeast infection Tuesday, I asked her about it. She said, "did you miss any pills?" Nope. "Were you sexually active?" Nope. "Then don't worry about it. Some women don't even get their period on the pill."

Pills with estrogen prevent the uterine lining from even forming, so skipping a period wouldn't result in two months of uterine lining being shed, as I thought. So unless you've missed pills or are pregnant, I wouldn't worry. My doc also says that if you do notice a change in your cycle--unless you're taking the pills erratically or think you're pregnant, or you change something in the way you take them--new start date, new pill, etc-- you should wait 3 months to see if the problem you're concerned about is still there. If it is, then you should call the doctor. It's a good guideline. That being said, I've never had this strange period before. I realized because of my skipped period, I'd get my period during my August yearly, and since my gyn is getting married in September, I have to wait until October for my it... but if I still have this weird period then, I will certainly mention it. Hope this helps!!

Closed Thread