It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

Dee74 HB User
Help.. Giant clots??

I've always had issues with very heavy periods and clotting. My gyno says that clotting is normal for most women.. but how big can "normal" clots get? I have a history of endometriosis and very painful bouts each month of rupturing ovarian cysts (always my right ovary for some reason). I'm getting another ultrasound done in two days to check up on the cyst situation.

Ok, to the point.. this past period (it ended a few days ago) was a little out of the ordinary for me.. First off, it started almost a week late. On the second day, I started cramping so bad, it came on very quickly, and it doubled me over and left me in tears. I felt like I needed to urinate as well.. When I went to the bathroom, after urinating and wiping.. well, I felt this weird sensation like I'd pulled on something in the middle of the wiping process (sorry if I'm getting too detailed here, but I don't know any other way to explain what happened). So, I reached down with the toilet paper and noticed something was hanging out of me.. (no it wasn't a tampon string since I don't use them because they cause me alot of pain) so I pulled on it. It was the biggest darn blood clot I've ever seen in my life. Stretched out, it was almost the size of the palm of my hand, very stretchy (yes I felt compelled to examine it pretty closely since I was so shocked).. It just looked like a blood clot.. but huge. The extreme cramping stopped within minutes. Then I just continued to cramp and have smaller clots as I normally do.

My period ended 2 days after that.. which is kind of short for me since I usually have it for about 7 days (doc says that's normal too).

It couldn't have been a miscarriage, I don't think. I've had my tubes cut and burnt apart since 1998. I didn't think of calling my doc since I have an appointment next week anyway. I almost think I should have saved that thing to show her what the heck came out of me.

Does anyone else have huge clots like this??

Last edited by Dee74; 08-17-2004 at 10:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

reni HB User
Re: Help.. Giant clots??

Yep, happened to me one time, although I didn't have any cramping. I was like WHOA, what the heck?? Scared the hell out of me, so I immediately made an appointment with my gynecologist. Everything was fine and she said it wasn't normally anything to worry about. I occasionally still get big clots but not as big as that time. It's a pretty weird feeling, isn't it?

In your case, I would say the extreme pain was caused by trying to pass the clot. Not sure why it didn't hurt me, but we are all different. Do mention it to your doctor so she can make sure everything checks out ok

Old 08-17-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

regime HB User

i had the same thing once but i have endometriosis, think it was caused from that it was prob my cyst rupturing

Old 08-17-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

stacydl HB User

I used to have huge clots too and I found out I had a fibroid which was sticking out into the inside of my uterus (submucosal they call it). When the doc saw it (using a procedure called hysteroscopy) he said, wow, no wonder you have such heavy periods. I guess a normal uterus is able to contract and that's what slows blood flow, but mine was trying to contract around a baseball and I just kept bleeding these huge clots. Before I saw this doc I went to so many others who told me it's normal for some women. For me, that was bull crap! I am not saying you have a fibroid, but it's good to investigate these things instead of the doc just telling you it's normal. If your clots are caused by something like a fibroid, they should see it in an ultrasound and do follow up testing after that. Hope your ultrasound comes back clear. Also, now that I had the fibroid out, I have no clotting.
Good luck!
Stacy

Old 08-18-2004, 05:35 AM   #5
Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User

Women don't get clotting, menstrual blood does not have any platelets, so it can't actually clot like that, it can happen however not like this, what you are describing is the larger pieces of uterine lining. These bits of uterine lining can get very large, a few inches along, quite thick.
It does actually worry me that your gyno said these were clots - during menstruation the uterine lining sheds, this is the primery waste product of menstruation, blood is only secondary, if menstrual blood were to clot like that it would be depremental.

Old 08-18-2004, 03:51 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

stacydl HB User

LouiseLaws, I would be curious to know where you got your information regarding menstrual blood not containing platelets. I disagree with you. I understand that the menstrual flow consists of tissue and blood which was once the uterine lining shedding due to no pregnancy occuring. However, if you are bleeding heavily, it could be due to other problems, fibroids, endo, or even a clotting disorder called von willenbrands disease. Since in von willenbrands the blood doesn't clot properly, one symptom is heavy menstrual bleeding. If the only blood a uterus expels is from the lining, why can you bleed to death after giving birth if the uterus doesn't contract properly? I believe that if the uterus is not capable of contracting to stop the bleeding, you will continue to bleed regardless of whether or not you're done expelling the lining part. If it were just the lining shed and only the lining shed, why do people become anemic from having heavy periods? Sorry, but like I said, I totally disagree with you.

Old 08-18-2004, 04:15 PM   #7
Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacydl
LouiseLaws, I would be curious to know where you got your information regarding menstrual blood not containing platelets. I disagree with you. I understand that the menstrual flow consists of tissue and blood which was once the uterine lining shedding due to no pregnancy occuring. However, if you are bleeding heavily, it could be due to other problems, fibroids, endo, or even a clotting disorder called von willenbrands disease. Since in von willenbrands the blood doesn't clot properly, one symptom is heavy menstrual bleeding. If the only blood a uterus expels is from the lining, why can you bleed to death after giving birth if the uterus doesn't contract properly? I believe that if the uterus is not capable of contracting to stop the bleeding, you will continue to bleed regardless of whether or not you're done expelling the lining part. If it were just the lining shed and only the lining shed, why do people become anemic from having heavy periods? Sorry, but like I said, I totally disagree with you.
Sorry stacydl, I agree with you, I was busy elsehwere so mustn't have been paying attention, I meant it has fewer platelets, not none at all. The point remains through that these things being described aren't likely to be clots, but uterine lining.

Old 08-19-2004, 03:32 PM   #8
(female)

aaronon HB User

Hi Ladies,

I've had these type of clots all my life. More so in the later years, I'm 38 now. They can and do create the most pain I've ever experienced, except during labor, some pains I've had at home during menstruation were worse than some labor pains. These are all from these kind of clots. At first I thought it may be something wrong, but the gyn told me it was normal. I asked a friend of mine and she said she had some big ones too, that created bad pain.

Gina

Old 08-19-2004, 05:23 PM   #9

Daisies03 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee74

It couldn't have been a miscarriage, I don't think. I've had my tubes cut and burnt apart since 1998. I didn't think of calling my doc since I have an appointment next week anyway. I almost think I should have saved that thing to show her what the heck came out of me.

Does anyone else have huge clots like this??
Pardon my ignorance but I thought you didn't get your period if you had your tubes cut and burnt that you wouldn't get your period. I am confused?

Old 08-19-2004, 06:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User

You still ovulate every month; only the egg cannot reach the uterus because the tubes are cut or burned. So yes, a period should keep coming every month.

Closed Thread