It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 01:54 PM   #1
Inactive

crazyabout blue HB User
Questions about Tampons.....

(i hope this is the right board for this topic)

I want to start using tampons rather than using pads. Which brand is better and/or safer? WHat should I look for?

Im only kinda afraid because of the Toxic Shock Syndrome.. and I know I can avoid it if i know how to use it properly.

Also, those who use tampons, have u experience any leaks?

Your reply would be greatly appreciated.. thanks!!

Old 08-17-2004, 04:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mecpcpj HB User
Re: Questions about Tampons.....

Well I'm not sure if one brand is better than the other. Personally I use Tampax Compax because they are small and fit in my purse and they have a plastic applicator. I used to use cardboard applicators but had trouble getting them in all the way. I'd suggest starting out with a light absorbancy and seeing how it works for you. You may have to change your absorbancy throughout your period (start out with a heavier absorbancy and end w/a lighter one). You'll begin to see a trend in your flow and you'll know which on is right for you. If you go to pull the tampon out and it's very dry then the absorbancy is probably too high for you. If the tampon is soaked through and you're experiencing leakage then the absorbancy is too light.

I do find that sometimes I get leakage if I use Regular absorbancy. I usually have to use Super absorbancy in the beginning of my period. Personally, I'd recommend starting out with a plastic applicator and slim fitting tampon. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran

Saka HB User

I usually use Carefree, U, or De Jour tampons as I find these to be the easiest to insert. I have never used the ones with the applicator. I haven't even really seen many of them on the shelves even if I wanted to.

As for leaking, I've only ever had that once and that was because I was using one that was too light.

As Mecpcpj said, you will get to know what absorbency you need throughout your period as you get used to using them. Why not wear a panty liner as well to start with until you get learn which ones are best?

Old 08-17-2004, 07:37 PM   #4
(female)

artbuggy3 HB User

i just tried out different brands until I found ones that I liked the best. I used the tampax regular but they constantly leaked even though the tampon was obviously full. I find OB regular work the best for me. They expand width-wise oposed to tampax which expand length-wise. I hope this helps a little!

Old 08-17-2004, 08:42 PM   #5
(female)

Zipity HB User

I use regular Tampax. Or even the generic drug store kind that are similar to Tampax.
And toxic shock syndrome is very rare. If you change your tampon consistently, I think the tampon companies say 4-8 hours, but I would say on average I change mine every 3-4, you will be fine.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:31 AM   #6
Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User

You might want to look into using other menstrual options, pads and tampons arenít the only option, cups are a very safe, environmentally friendly, cheap and convenient menstrual option. I used to use Lillets, I always experienced leaks, thatís one of the many reasons why I changed to a Mooncup, I get no leaks at all with them.
If you are going to use tampons then please use organic tampons such as Natracare or Organic essentials, homemade tampons or sponges like Jade & Pearl, tampons are harmful to vaginal health, so if you are going to use tampons rather than any other option itís advised that you at least avoid commercial tampons.
Tampons themselves increase risk of bacterial infections, including TSS and bacterial vaginosis by introducing oxygen into the vagina along with a porous material that collects nutritious menstrual blood for the bacteria to grow upon, tampons also prevent the vagina from carrying out natural functions by flushing these bacteria out. In the case of commercial tampons there is extra risk from rayon, a material that is not necessary to make tampons yet is continued to be used despite significantly increased risk of TSS. Commercial tampons also contain chemicals and bleach, again unnecessary to use on tampons and because the mucosa has no keratinized squamous epithelium like skin does it can absorb these potentially harmful chemicals a lot faster, as well as chemicals increasing risk of bacterial infections by disrupting vaginal PH.
Some brands of commercial tampons, for example Tampax, expand lengthways rather than just widthways meaning that they can expand into the cervix making period pains a lot worse.
Brands like Tampax have a particularly bad track record when it comes to caring for customers health, for example denying risks from dioxin, they are also owned by Proctor and Gamble who were the same company behind ĎRelyí tampon, they also support unethical animal testing.
Toxic Shock Syndrome is a rare illness and although you should be conscious of the risk it is not that big of a concern, the TSS outbreak in the 80ís was nothing compared to the dioxin scare in the 90ís which is probably responsible for a lot more deaths, yet seems to have been forgotten, there are far more realistic risks from tampons use than TSS.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:34 AM   #7
(female)

beezkneez HB User
Thumbs down Re: Questions about Tampons.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyabout blue
(i hope this is the right board for this topic)

I want to start using tampons rather than using pads. Which brand is better and/or safer? WHat should I look for?

Im only kinda afraid because of the Toxic Shock Syndrome.. and I know I can avoid it if i know how to use it properly.

Also, those who use tampons, have u experience any leaks?

Your reply would be greatly appreciated.. thanks!!

Let me let you in on a little secret.....tampons are bad for you! It's not just TSS that you have to worry about. My gyno and my urologist (urinary tract doctor) told me ABSOLUTLY DO NOT USE TAMPONS. They can cause anything between urinary tract infections to yeast infections. No woman likes to use a pad but they are alot better for you and alot safer. Bacteria from the outside of your body can be pushed up inside of you by use of tampons. Do not duche (?) either....it kills the good bacteria that grows inside your vagina. It is your choice of what to do. I just want you to be safe and not have any problems that could become serious.

Best wishes to you!

Old 08-19-2004, 07:33 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User

tampons arent bad for every one. if you stay clean and change them regularly, you will be fine...i use ob. less garbage, very discreet, and i dont like applicators because they are uncomfortable for me. tampax always leaked for me because they dont really expand out, mostly lenthgwise. ob has more of an outward expansion whicch i like.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:35 PM   #9
(female)

beezkneez HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel
tampons arent bad for every one. if you stay clean and change them regularly, you will be fine...i use ob. less garbage, very discreet, and i dont like applicators because they are uncomfortable for me. tampax always leaked for me because they dont really expand out, mostly lenthgwise. ob has more of an outward expansion whicch i like.

Did you read Louise's post? So yes, they technically can be bad for anyone if not everyone but it is someone's right to make up their minds whether to use them or not.

Old 08-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #10

In a tree HB User

For all of the posts about tampons being bad, I do not know of anyone personally who has ever had trouble with them. It seems to me that the same people who have trouble with tampons on this board are the same people who do not use soap. Maybe these people are having problems because they have bacteria build-up. I have also noticed that most of the people on these boards who have chronic B.V. are also the ones who do not use soap. I believe there is a connection. I have used soap all of my life and I had never even heard of B.V. until I came to these boards.

Old 08-20-2004, 01:13 PM   #11
(female)

crowgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by In a tree
It seems to me that the same people who have trouble with tampons on this board are the same people who do not use soap. Maybe these people are having problems because they have bacteria build-up. I have also noticed that most of the people on these boards who have chronic B.V. are also the ones who do not use soap. I believe there is a connection.
Not necessarily. I don't use soap, have used tampons for more than 20 years, and have never had b.v. or other problems from them.

Then again, like I once mentioned in another post, tampons manufactured in my home country are apparently different from those made in the UK or the US (seems they don't contain dioxin or other harmful substances, as a consumer organization study showed a couple of years ago), so that might be a factor too.

Old 08-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #12
Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by In a tree
For all of the posts about tampons being bad, I do not know of anyone personally who has ever had trouble with them. It seems to me that the same people who have trouble with tampons on this board are the same people who do not use soap. Maybe these people are having problems because they have bacteria build-up. I have also noticed that most of the people on these boards who have chronic B.V. are also the ones who do not use soap. I believe there is a connection. I have used soap all of my life and I had never even heard of B.V. until I came to these boards.
To me that sounds as though you are implying that those who do not use tampons or soap for health reasons are somehow in the wrong, itís a dangerous implication to make considering we are discussing a sexual health issue. Itís logic that anything that interferes with the normal healthy function of your vagina is going to be detrimental to health.
Whether you know people who have had problems with tampons or not does not change the fact that they do pose a risk, risk of infection is significantly increased, that does not promise infection in everyone who uses tampons, however you will find that tampons and soap use are two of the main causes of infections like bacterial vaginosis. You will also note that the long term effects are not as easy to pin point, harmful synthetic chemicals may never be directly linked from tampon use through to cancer or hormonal disruption, it doesnít mean the risk is not there, in fact several organisations and ratifications will say quite different. Tampax were nice enough to tell us all that dioxin was not dangerous, but we know different now.
Those who use safer menstrual options such as pads or cups arenít just pulling this information out of thin air, it is brought about through study of their anatomy, and itís not only logic but also medical and scientific research.
I havenít used tampons since I started to study to become a gynaecologist, nor have I used soap, and I have only had one yeast infection, which was the result of a night of cocktails, where as while using tampons and soap I was getting infections quite often. You will also notice it is those who have actually studied about their vagina/vulva are the ones who donít use tampons or soap, just as you will notice it is the well trained medical professionals who also support this. The fact that people get BV might well be the reason why people have stopped using soap because they have been warned by their GP's to do so, and the fact you only heard about it here might have something to do with the fact this is a health bored and you had previously not considered learning about basic sexual health.
Quite frankly I find the implication insulting and childish, it equates to a child saying Ďgrossí.

Old 08-20-2004, 03:27 PM   #13

In a tree HB User

The correct spelling is BOARD not "bored."
As far as cups being so safe, who is to say that in a few years there will not be medical problems connected to them? I tried cups and absolutely hated them.
I have also noticed your habit of calling anyone "childish" if they disagree with you. I find that behavior rather childish!!
Also, we are all entitled to our opinion, you should respect those who disagree with you. You would be more effective in your arguments if you didn't get so angry when your opinion is disagreed with or if someone else has a hypothesis that you disagree with.
In addition, I was not being insulting in the least. I simply stated my theory. Just because I am not falling all over you in agreement does not make me "childish."
By the way, I do know about sexual health and taking care of my body. The fact that I do not sit around 24/7 concerned about the state of health my vagina is in does not mean I am ignorant. It means I have a husband and two children to take care of, not to mention the fact that I am a full time student.
I find the fact that you accuse me of not taking time to educate myself on health matters "childish and insulting."
If you are indeed going to be a doctor you need to evaluate other's opinions in a better manner. Calling people childish because they don't agree with you will only run patients away.

Last edited by In a tree; 08-20-2004 at 05:36 PM.

Old 08-20-2004, 08:54 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User

anything manufactured is unsafe. basically, i want to make a point that i did not earlier. if you dont use tampons because of the risk of damage from unsafe "toxins" interrupting a "healthy normally funtioning vagina" i have a question for you. have you ever eating processed food? a candy bar? mcdonalds? packaged bread? milk form the gorcery store? eaten anything from a can or a wrapper? taken a pill of any kind? all these contain things that we will never know the risk of. there are so many things that cause cancer, that pose a risk. i guess my point is that everything is a potential danger and risk if you want to look at it that way. everytime you get into a car, turn on a stove, walk down stairs, get on a plane, touch a door knob, get bitten by a mosquito, SIT IN FRONT OF A COMPUTER, use a microwave,we are taking risks. how is living in fear actually living? i think tampons are the least of our worries.

hopefully i have made my point, and at least got you thinking.

Old 08-21-2004, 10:30 AM   #15

In a tree HB User

Excellent post Weasel. I am not going to wear uncomfortable pads because of an unfounded fear. When the F.D.A. comes out and tells me that tampons pose a huge risk to my health then I will alter my habits but until then I will do as I am now. I can't understand certain people being so obsessed with vaginal health. I have better things to do with my time like have fun and live. You are right, if we only did what was approved safe then we had might as well stay in our house and never leave. Also, companies that manufacture alternative menstrual products are going to blast the other methods currently used. They do this so people will buy their product. Personally I do find it gross that the cup is reuseable. To me that is posing a risk of infection and exposing your body to chemicals because it has to be cleaned somehow. Having the opinion that something is gross is not childish either. It is simply my idea. Anyway, nobody's opinion is anymore valuable that anyone else's. Also, just because certain people may be studying to be in the medical field that does not make them an expert.

Closed Thread