It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2004, 09:00 AM   #1

DRay HB User
I gotta pap test but I'm still scared

I am very scared of coming down with something such as some type of cancer that could prevent me from having children.. how scary is that? I went to the dr 2 mths ago because my mom made me cause I was so scared because I get these pain where my lymphnods are in my groind area only on the right side and I can feel them all over.. But now I won't go again Because I am to scared to find anything out.. I'm afraid of the worst from cancer to a diease.. How can I get over this fear because I really want to know...
What symptoms do I need to look for?
When I did go to the dr. and he said I was fine but I have no idea what test he ran.. he did a quick pap and said he'd run some test. What are the usual test dr. run? What is all involved in a pap anyway because all did was lay me down and used a swab thing real quick.. does that count? Because I had one before and it was longer so I felt wierd about that.. I had what I think was a pelvic exam when I had my appendix out a year ago to make sure it was PID...
I would just really like to know from a nurse or dr. or someone who has gone through this what kind of test they run.. Do they run it for STD's, cancer and tumors and stuff??? What all is involved because he didn't explain it very well to me..
Even though I went I'm still scared and was wondering what I can do to calm my nervous..
Why can i feel my lymphnods in the groind area.. how many are there? Because I feel tons.. its scarey..
I know this all sounds like rambling but I just worry a lot..
Thanks..
D-Ray

Last edited by DRay; 09-17-2004 at 09:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 11:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Re: I gotta pap test but I'm still scared

I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but you could possibly just have an ongoing infection. I had the same thing happen that was the result of a very aggressive yeast infection.

I would follow up with a call to your doctor for results on whatever test was run. In the future, it's best to ask what kind and why a test is being done just for your piece of mind. Some doctors give the token saying, "no news is good news", if you don't hear from them, but it's always best to call anyway.

Try not to worry yourself sick over this, your best defense is going to the doctor again and finding out for sure what is going on. I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Last edited by Dianek; 09-17-2004 at 11:40 AM.

Old 09-17-2004, 12:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Well, it doesn't sound like you had a Pap smear. When you have a Pap smear, the doctor inserts a device called a speculum into your vagina and cranks it open. This keeps your vaginal walls apart so the doctor can see your cervix and take a sample of cells. If all he did was a quick swap inside you and nothing else, then he was taking some of your secretions for a culture, to see if you have any type of infections.

There is no way to know what tests your doctor ran, sorry! The only way you can be sure is to ask him or to see your results. This was two months ago, right? Surely you would have been notified if anything was wrong, so I don't think you have to worry :-) But still, call up and ask for your results.

Old 09-18-2004, 01:02 PM   #4

DRay HB User

yes he did do all of those things.. as clamps and what not.. but i dunno.. everything is fine now besides the numbnessin my legs..

Old 09-18-2004, 04:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User

Your doctor knows about the lumps in your groin and is saying everything is fine? I'd get a second opinion if that's the case. You may need antibiotics to help clear this up. Don't rest for the "everything is fine" when you know there is something still not right.

Old 09-18-2004, 05:03 PM   #6
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

You did have a pap, That swab will let him know if any bacteria is in their or any displasia (cancerous cells) If you do not hear anything then that's good. If your pap came back moderate to sever displasia then he would do a more extensive pap using something that looks like a masscara brush and possibly a vinegar solution to see the cancerous area. Have you ever heard of a mole on the skin being cancerous? That's the same type of "cancer " you can get inside. It's easy to detect and easy to get out, especially if your young. I also felt pain on my right side and it turns out that I can actually feel myself ovulate and I get sore right at that time. It feels like someone is squeezing my overy. The doctor put one hand on my tummy above my overy and one hand inside me pushing on my over and it about made me sick and I said "yup, that's the pain I feel" and asked why it made me so sick to my stomach and she said "well, it's like a man's testicle.If you hit it, it hurts him and can make him queezy" I did have cancerous cells (severe to moderate displasia) and I had a cold knife conazation, where they go in and just cut out the cells. It was no biggie at all! I had four paps come back normal. I have three children that are 4,3,3 and can still have more. My friend had two children after her surgery. Don't worry about it too much but don't be stupid and NOT have tests done. Woman can even have HIV and have normal children as long as they are on medication. My husband treats cancer and my father in law is a Gynocological Oncologist and my brother in law a radiologist. When I have tests done I question everything trust me and there's nothing wrong with it if you do too. You are intitled to a second opinion. PS I prefer a woman gyno because she KNOWS your insides. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Closed Thread