It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 07:28 AM   #1

monica24 HB User
just had period - now cramping

Hi, my name is monica and I'm new to this place. My husband and i are trying for a baby. I am very irregular (ranging anywhere from 35 - 60 days)and have been reading up on pregnancy and conception every chance I get. We've only been trying for 2 - 3 months now. I just had my period and it was a little different than usual. It was very light and turned brown after 2 days. Also, sometimes I'd wipe and it was very light brown with some darker red spotting. WEIRD. Usually, I'd have pretty bad cramps the 1st 2 days of my flow. Now, I am over my period and have been having (menstrual-like) cramps though my entire period plus the last 2 days (with no period). I know as much as I'm hoping to be preg, I could be imagining this, but I feel these cramps are truly there. Mostly in my left lower abdomen.

Has anyone gone throught this and found out either way - preg or not preg? Is anyone else very irregular and had trouble getting pregnant? I know I should see a doctor, but I was really hoping my husband and I could do this on our own.

Thanks for any help you might have!
Monica

Last edited by monica24; 09-27-2004 at 07:29 AM. Reason: signature

Old 09-27-2004, 08:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: just had period - now cramping

I'm sorry that I cannot help you as far as being able to relate. But if you are trying to get pregnant and have a very strange cycle, maybe you should try one of those ovulation predictors. I don't know how well they work, but I have always been curious to try them. Good luck in your quest to conceive!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 08:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I have a very regular cycle, so I am different there. But, both times I have been pregnant, I had 1-2 days of period-level cramps starting about 2 days after I ovulated (my cycle is regular, so I ovulate around day 14). I sometimes get mild cramping with ovulation, but these cramps feel like I'm going to get my period in the middle of the month, but it doesn't come. I've only had that twice, both time I was pregnant. Is that kind of what you're feeling?

Old 09-27-2004, 09:41 AM   #4

monica24 HB User

This may sound a little stupid, but I'm not quite sure when I ovulate. I'm so scared that what if I don't. I've been reading up on everything. I notice when I am a little "wetter" during a certain time, but I never notice anything stretchy resembling an egg white. This is so confusing. Whenever my AF decides to show up, it is ALWAYS 2 weeks exactly before that my breasts start hurting. COuld that mean I've ovulating? I just don't know. Then about a week before AF comes, I will get mild to moderate cramping - usually lasting till the 2nd day of AF. Well, now my AF ended 2 days ago, and I'm still cramping. It is probably from all the worrying I am doing - I am making myself sick.

Monica

Old 09-27-2004, 10:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

I'm not quite sure what you meant...if you don't think that you are ovulating...You are! That is why you are having your period. MOST women ovulate about 12-14 days after the FIRST day of their period, but some women are different. Another trick to help you tell is to take your temperature. Your temperature will rise when you are ovulating. So, take your temp every day. The 1st time I tried to get preggers I took mine twice a day. Then keep a journal of the temps. You will probably notice some trends...and you may notice that it goes up a few degrees about 12 days after your period starts. Do some searching on the internet for this subject...a lot of women use this to help! Good luck!

Old 09-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

And remember t take your temp the same time each day...like just before you get out of bed of 9pm each night.

As for me....each time I was pregnant I recall that crampy feeling almost as if I was expecting my period any day. And you can have spotting & still be pregnant. I would definitely go out and get a home pregnancy test & do it....they are so accurate now you can do them even before you're due for your period...Good luck....Goody

Old 09-27-2004, 10:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I have a normally very regular cycle too, but I knew someone who had very irregular cycles like yours, they just BDed every other day until they were pregnant, it took them a few months but they now have a 1 1/2 year old and are expecting baby#2. They used the temping method too. I know early pregnancy symptoms are very similair to PMS symptoms so sometimes it's so hard to tell. I remember having that PMS cramping feeling when I was pregnant with my DD, I kept going to the washroom to just check because I was sure I would have Aunt Flow but it never did come. I have heard on this board that people with very irregular cycles should test on the longest cycle day...so if you range from 28-60 day cycles...do a HPT on day 60 and see...They do make tests that you can test up to 4-5 days before your period. Goodluck, keep us posted!

Old 09-27-2004, 12:16 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

Iam 6 weeks pregnant and for the first 2 weeks it felt like I was goig nto have my period any minute. I had bloating, cramps,, higher temp, sore breasts. I felt like I did when i was goig nto start my period. If I were you I would try to regulate myself more and then it would be easier to find out when I was ovulating. I would also do alot of research if you have not already down so. I would also follow the advnice on taking your temp. I know of the first clues I had that I was pregnant was that I started to feel really hot so I started takign my temp, and I saw that for several days my temp was in the 98's or 99's. Look at the other syspmtons you have having, and ask other woman what thiers were. lol at firsr I was clueless then when I heard other woman talk about thiers I noticed mine were alot alike. Take a hpt too, maybe you are havign uyou period and makign you are pregnant. early pregnancy syptoms and pms are alot a like, Good luck!

Old 09-27-2004, 07:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

The only way that temping can be meaningful is if you take your basal body temperature, which is your temperature IMMEDIATELY upon waking, before getting out of bed, sitting up, pulling up the covers, or ANYTHING. Taking your temperature right before bed, or every day after lunch, for instance, is completely meaningless and will not help you determine ovulation.

You absolutely can have a period without ovulating. This is a problem lots of women have, but it is not common. But, there is no reason to suspect that you are not ovulating after only a few months of trying!

I suggest one of two paths, depending on how much energy you have.
1. Have intercourse every other day starting from about the 5th day of your period until you get pregnant or get your next period. If you start to notice sore boobs, excessive tiredness or hunger, or any other pg signs anytime after about 30 days after your period started, take a test. If you get your next period, start the process over.
2. If you want a slightly more scientific method, try picking up a book on charting your temperatures and fertility signs. The only one I have read is called Taking Charge of Your Fertility, and I thought it was the most informative, wonderful book I have ever read. It is available at most bookstores and lots of libraries. It will teach you everything you need to know about watching your fertility signs.

I have really long and irregular cycles, ranging from 34 days to about 70 days, and there is really no way to predict when o is coming, without charting. I started charting and got pregnant 2 out of 3 cycles (we miscarried the first time). I can honestly say that without charting there is NO WAY we would have gotten pregnant so easily. Not to share too much, but dh and I do not have a very active sex life, and both times we got pg it was from the only sex within a week either way. I know the EXACT day I got pregnant both times, because of what I learned from charting. It works THAT well. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2004, 05:40 PM   #10
Veteran

rach12 HB User

Hey there. Me and myu hubby have been trying for a few months now. I am irregular too. It is hard. I have been reading everything you can imagine and am now offically confused!! haha. I read that you can have a period and not ovulate then I read that you have a period because you did ovulate. I have been trying to monitor my mid cycle cramps and the mucas thing. I am just trying to relax about the whole thing. My cycle varies all the time. Good luck to you and keep me posted. I will do the same.

Rach

Old 09-29-2004, 02:10 AM   #11
(female)

iwannabeamommy HB User

someone has already said it before the truth is you dont have to ovulate in order to have a period. Think of it this way. Women on the pill still have a cycle but they dont ovulate or release the egg. Their body still prepares to ovulate but when it comes to ovulation it never happens. This situation happens to women besides those on the pill.

Too add my two cents: after a year of SERIOUSLY trying (not just well if it happens it happens) I would see a doctor. Especially with irregular flows I would want to A: be put on something to help make them regular and B: find out what is making them so irregular.

My DH are TTC and in August I was a week and a half late for my period. Well I was curious as to what you think my ovulation. does your body just recover of is your ovulation at the same time as the previous month and my period is just later now?

Just curoius.
EDD July 18, 2005

Last edited by iwannabeamommy; 09-29-2004 at 02:13 AM. Reason: had more to say

Old 09-29-2004, 03:22 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Can you have a period without ovulating?

Can you fail to ovulate in your cycle, but still get your period?

The quick answer is, “ Yes, sort of," but the more biologically correct answer is that you can fail to ovulate, but still have anovulatory bleeding. Technically speaking, a period is the bleeding that occurs about 12 to 16 days after the release of an egg. If no egg is released, it is not really a period that follows, but anovulatory bleeding.

There is a huge difference between cycles in which the woman ovulates but does not get her period, and one in which she gets her period but does not ovulate. What is that difference? In the former case, the woman is almost certainly pregnant. In the latter case, she has had an anovulatory cycle.

In anovulatory cycles, non-charting women may assume they are menstruating normally, so why would they continue to experience bleeding if ovulation has not occurred? Such bleeding results when estrogen production continues to develop the uterine lining without reaching the threshold necessary to trigger ovulation. In such a case, one of two things may happen, which leads to what appears to be a menstrual period.

Either the estrogen will build up slowly to a point below the threshold and then drop, resulting in "estrogen withdrawal bleeding," or more commonly, the endometrium builds up slowly over an extended period of time, eventually to the point where the resulting uterine lining is so thickened it can no longer sustain itself. This is known as "estrogen breakthrough bleeding." In either case, if you weren't charting, you might think you were simply menstruating, though you would maybe notice a difference in the type of bleeding. Specifically the flow can be either unusually heavy or light and of course, the timing can result in cycle lengths all over the map (or the chart).

Old 10-06-2004, 09:12 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Just thought I'd stop in and see how things are going and how you are. Tak care.

Closed Thread