It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2004, 02:42 AM   #1

Goodgyrlie02 HB User
Question Tampons Tampons Tampons

Hi yall i was tryin to figure out when my period finally does come back how can i ask my mom if i can use tampons?I really have nothing up top to say plzz help me.If yall asked your parents what did you say? Thx alot

Hope to get at least 5 post

Old 09-28-2004, 02:59 AM   #2
(female)

NinjaCowboy HB User
Re: Tampons Tampons Tampons

Why say anything? Just go buy some tampons and read the instructions.
Or if you have zero $$ for such things, just tell your mom to get some. It's not really a big deal. She'll understand.
Pads vs. Tampons is just a personal preference (like brief vs. bikini vs. thong underwear) so it's not a major issue. I know I personally (when I had my period, it's been about 6 years due to being on depo) NEVER used pads. Many women prefer them at night even if they usually use tampons during the day, but it always felt like I was wearing a diaper or something...uck.
But trust me, she will understand. Especially if you are involved in sports or if the topic comes up in the summer (you can't exactly wear a pad to go swimming )
I never had to ask b/c my mom always had both pads & tampons in the house, but I started buying my own pretty quick anyway b/c we liked different brands.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2004, 06:27 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Just be aware that if you are petite {i didn't catch your age} that tampons might be hard to use. My 10 year old went thru puberty early and tried to use tampons when she was on the swim team. Even the really slim ones were too big.
Practicing and using a lubricating oil might also help.

Old 09-28-2004, 06:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Like another poster said...this is your body honey, you don't need to ask to use tampons. I would also ask your friends who have started their periods what kind of tampons they use and how to use them. You will probably want to use the slim/teen size. And don't get discouraged, they can be a little bit tricky to use at first. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2004, 08:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

I started using tampons when I was about 17, up until that point I used pads. My mom didn't want me using tampons because of the risk of TSS, but as I got older pads just weren't cutting it so I talked to her about it and she finally allowed me to have them (She is not strict, but like I said she was worried about TSS). I have been using tampons for about 6 years ago and much prefer them to pads.

Old 09-28-2004, 09:51 AM   #6
(female)

natthebug HB User

It is definetly YOUR decision to whether to use tampons or not. I can't imagine she would tell you that you can't. I was 13 when I started my period but didn't need more than a thin liner because it was so light at first. When I was about 4 finally it was ridiculous, so I wanted to use tampons..... JUST REMEMBER>>>>> if you use tampons with applicators, make sure you take the aplicator out after the cotton part is pushed in! LOL I didn't know you we4re supposed to take that out when I was like 14... and man I couldn't stand it. (of course I couldn't I wasnt using them right.) I resorted to O.B.s because I thought,' well they don't have an applicator' LOL. I was so silly i still to this day can't believe I did that! I am 30 now. LOL Anyways again it really should be your choice.. it is your body right?? How old are you? are you small framed?

Old 09-28-2004, 10:27 AM   #7

LLA1982 HB User

Just as all of the other posts have said, go ahead either talk with your mom & tell her you would rather use tampons or just go ahead & get them. My mom & I had the discussion when I was about 17 or 18- she had always used pads & didn't understand as to why I would rather use those. They are just way-more comfortable, & like the other lady wrote - they don't make you feel "yucky" like you have on a diaper. I had the same discussion with my mom about wearing thong underwear. They too are just way more comfortable for me. (Anyway, like you or anyone else wanted to know that) But as everyone has pretty much told you it's your body & you should decide. But if you have any questions or need any help, talk to your mom. That's what she's there for, to help you & give you advice when you need it. Hope this is some advice that will help you. Good Luck!

Old 09-28-2004, 12:08 PM   #8

Tweets HB User

Yeah Your mom I'm sure wont mind if you prefer to use a tampon. Im 22 and I tried a Tampon once and I'll never try it again. I personally found that to be more uncomfortable. I use the thin pads and can't even tell they are there.
It just depends on the person-- And I couldnt see your mom flipping out if you want a tampon over a pad-- She knows whats going on-- Don't worry about it! Everything will be fine~

Old 09-29-2004, 02:49 PM   #9

stacey01 HB User

like everyone else has told you , talk to your mom and see what she thinks and let her know your feelings. Personally, I would choose a tampon over a pad anyday. To me, its not the diaper like feeling , its the lack of control you have over your actual bleeding. Its a luck of the draw how youre sitting or standing or how the pad is positioned whether or not its gonna catch it. If you learn how to use a tampon SAFELY and CORRECTLY, you will probably avoid a lot of embarrassing mishaps. If you choose tampons, just get a variety box with all kinds of sizes and learn to use each size with your particular flow. I have found that plastic applicators are much easier than cardboard and the tampax pearl line are very good tampons ( they are a little more expensive than the regulars though). Good luck , and work something out wiht your mom.

Old 09-29-2004, 03:41 PM   #10
Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User

Just go up and ask if you can't get them yourself - but please be aware of ALL the risks, TSS seems to be the only thing people are concerned about, but commercial tampons are the most harmful out of all 15 menstrual options, they are also some of the most expensive and environmentally harmful.
If you do use tampons then try using organic, homemade or sponge tampons instead, they are still harmful but much less of a risk because they are made from natural materials and not treated with chemicals or bleach.

When I started my period at 13 I just asked my mum for some of her 'things', she didn't get it at first but finally I blurted out 'mum I got my period', she got the point and I started using tampons. Of course when I learn about my body, the risks and all my options I started teaching my mum about these things and she ended up asking me to buy her a menstrual cup…it went the same way, her asking me ‘can you get me one of those…erm, you know, cup things’. The tables turned and I was so amused that she was so much more embarrassed to ask me for menstrual products than I was to ask her all those years ago!

Last edited by LouiseLaws; 09-29-2004 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typeo

Old 09-30-2004, 03:17 AM   #11
(female)

mystiq86 HB User

I started my period at 13 and the first thing I said to my mom is "I've started my period." And that's all that needed to be said. The first thing she did was get her supply of tampons and told me basically how to use them and to read the directions. This really isn't a big deal at all. Just talk to your mom.

Old 10-10-2004, 08:54 PM   #12
(female)

NinjaCowboy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiseLaws
all 15 menstrual options
Ok there's tampons(whether normal ones or organic or whatever), pads (many different types), and the cup thingy (which personally, I think is kinda gross...)
What are the other 12?
Also, can you explain about homemade tampons? I am curious because I have never heard of this before.

Last edited by NinjaCowboy; 10-10-2004 at 08:54 PM.

Closed Thread