It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2004, 04:06 PM   #1

so_confuzzled HB User
Question Question on donating my eggs.

Hey everyone, im not too sure if I can post this on here but ill give it a shot anyway. Alright, i have been interested in donating some of my eggs for a while now. When I was 16 and found out that I would be able to at the age of 19 or older it really made me feel like I could do something special. I am 19 years old and I have been reading more information about it. NOw let me tell you why I would like to do this. For one I have endometreosis and I have been told because of my present situation that I might have problems conceiving. I had my first surgery for endometreosis when I was 14 then a second one at 16. they are now thinking of a third. They tried putting me on menapause to help with the cysts and what not. Well im letting you know this because its so hard to hear that i may have problems, and I know that there are some people out there that can't have any children at all they they pay thousands of dollars to get eggs implanted into them just so they can have a child. Now i know my eggs are fine and I don't have any diseases or anything. But I think that if I am able to donate my eggs ill feel so special i mean its a beautiful thing to hav ea child and I want to help someone have one. A child is a special gift that not everyone can have and I want to help make it p ossible. I know there are many people out there that dont' agree with egg donating. But I do and I want to help.

I guess my question is has anyone ever dontated their eggs? What is your opinion on the idea of it all? Is it a good idea for me to do it? I think it is, that is if I am accepted into the program. I know its a long hard process, but this is somtehign that I have wanted to do for a long time and I am finally at the age now where some clinics will take my eggs. Im kinda nervous because I know that if I am accepted there will be a child possibly out there at some point that will have some of my looks. I guess im nervous because I want this to work and I want to help someone out. I would just feel speical knowing that I helped someone out and there is someone out there that has my looks, its a beautiful thing, I would know that that child had a part of me. I don't know do i sound really off or something? thanx in advance-chrystal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 06:22 PM   #2
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Re: Question on donating my eggs.

I used to think about being a surrogate and that's because I have three children already and would like to give a gift of life to someone. Now....on the other hand I could NOT donate my eggs because those are MY babies, I would always wonder how my child was doing and if they are being well taken care of. Have you thought about harvesting your eggs for yourself? If you may not be able to get pregnant then if you harvest them for yourself then maybe they can be implanted in someone who will give you the gift. You are born with the only eggs you will ever have. You do not regrow eggs you know. If any complications occur will other eggs be viable for you in the future? I would wait until you had a child to think about donating your eggs because once you have your own child it may change the way you feel about donating your eggs. It is really different and it does change your attitude once your child is here. If you decide to do it once you had a child and feel comfortable then I say go ahead. If you do NOT want children then I would think about donating them also. You have a good heart and a great soul...there are tons of other things you can do to help others out tremedously too. Don't let your idea's stop at just that one idea. Good luck

Old 10-07-2004, 07:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Read up on all the drugs and hormones that you have to take in order to be an egg donor. You might not be able to take them if you have endometriosis. Also, there is a link between these drugs and future ovarian cancer, so that is something else to consider.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:05 PM   #4

so_confuzzled HB User

Hey everyone thankyou for your advice, I really appreciate it. The thing is though is I have thought a lot about it. There are chances i'm willing to take to help someone out. . But as far as I knew everytime you had your period you were shedding your eggs, hence you still reproduce eggs... Thats how you can still get pregnant. Your body is always reproducing.. Or am I really wrong about this... Ive talked to people and they say you keep making eggs. Ive tried to google a few sites about it but havne't really gotten too much information. Any more advice or ideas????=chrystal

Old 10-08-2004, 06:13 PM   #5
(female)

HollyGoLightly HB User

No, no, no, no--you're born with all the eggs you'll ever have. You will never make more. Each month at ovulation you release one (sometimes more) of these eggs. If you want to donate your eggs, they give you fertility drugs so that you release a whole bunch. I doubt they will even consider you because of your reproductive problems, tho And I know you mean well and have a big heart, but you don't seem to have a clue about what's involved.

Last edited by HollyGoLightly; 10-08-2004 at 06:15 PM.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:32 PM   #6

so_confuzzled HB User

I do have a clue about whats involved, I have read a lot about it. Thankyou for your advice, I know they give you fertility drugs, but still I am able to have babies. I've also read that if you don't have any diseases or rare blood types then you could easily be accepted. YOu have to be the right age, and they even look at weight and what not. I"m still reading about it, this is why I posted this question on this board, so that I could get advice, and so that I could get some questions answered. I appreciate all of your responses. thankyou-chrystal

Old 10-11-2004, 09:20 AM   #7

KristaB HB User

Hi Chrystal, I donated my eggs four years ago and I'm currently in the process of doing it again. All of the agencies I've contacted require that the donor be at least 21 but there could be exceptions. As far as your history, each agency will have different criteria but I don't really think they would turn you away because of endometriosis. The quality of your eggs is what's important and they will check the quality through a blood test and ultrasound on day 3 of your cycle (this is at no cost to you). As far as the poster who said they are your "babies": everyone has their own take on this issue. I personally feel that your eggs are just carriers of your DNA and nothing more. The agency I worked with didn't tell me whether a pregnancy occurred four years ago but if it did I am 100% convinced that the child is purely the recipients'. I would not consider him/her mine as fertilization took place in a petri dish and I did not carry a child for nine months. It is very rewarding, Chrystal, but don't get your head turned by the money: it's also a very tough process. You may have to wait a while to be matched with someone; you have to inject yourself with fertility drugs twice a day; you need to go to the facility for blood tests/ultrasounds every day for a couple of weeks before retrieval (usually between 7-9 am); and they put you under anesthesia to retrieve the eggs. There is also a small risk of uterine perforation and ovarian hyperstimulation. Think about it carefully and feel free to ask me any questions. Good luck!

Closed Thread