It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
(female)

einstein399 HB User
tampon help

I am 19 years old and I have used pads since I started my period about five years ago. I have always wanted to use tampons because of the benefits but everytime I try to use them it really hurts and I just give up on them. I always try to remain relaxed but it is to no avail - it just really hurts. Does anyone else have this problem? Will this affect my sex life in the future? Thanks for your time.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
(female)

cboo23 HB User
Re: tampon help

Tampons used to hurt me too.. Try a very small tampon (tampax light or tampax beyonds are good too) at first. and try putting in in with your foot up on the toilet seat instead of sitting down. It may just be the angle you are putting it in at.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rms11 HB User

This will not affect your sex life at all. I started using tampons when I was about 18, before that I was really scared to use them because I was afraid it would hurt. I sit on the toilet and push it gently in slowly, other women find that putting one leg on the toilet while standing helps. If it is hurting perhaps you should try getting it directly underneath the vagina first and then push up. Just take your time and relax and it should go in. I am so glad i started using them, they are sooo much easier than pads. Take care!

Old 01-06-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mecpcpj HB User

I couldn't use tampons for years! I always wanted to because pads got annoying and messy. I had the same problem you did. When I went to use them I just couldn't get it in. The thing is that we have this muscle in the vagina that tenses up when we're a little nervous. Once you can get it past that muscle it'll glide right in.

When I finally decided enough was enough and I had to use tampons I had to actually lie down on the floor and spread my legs really wide to get it in. Of course I didn't do that in public, only in my bedroom. I also found that buying some lube (like KY Jelly) and putting a little on the applicator helps it glide in easier. Try using the plastic applicators and a thin tampon at first, they're easier to insert. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rms11 HB User

Yes, def use the plastic applicator....the cardboard ones are harder and not as comfortable.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:38 AM   #6

Lady_Raven HB User

I couldn't use a tampon for a really long time either.

Try one that doesn't have an applicator (OB). You put it in with your finger and it's easy to move it around so that you don't feel it. Also, OB aren't as long as most other tampons which is another reason I like them. I find that no matter how far I shove up a tampax it still hurts me because they're too long.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
(female)

JustMeInID HB User

I agree with Lady Raven: definitely try o.b. tampons. As she pointed out, they're shorter, yet they expand like other tampons, so you get the "coverage" you need. And they're much, much easier to insert, because you know exactly where you're putting them.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:44 PM   #8

x8danielle8x HB User

im 16 and i have the same exact problem... i cant get it in.. ive tried over 10 times and ive tried using vaseline for help but that didnt work either.. i just figured i was really "small" i have also been wondering and i think i posted it before if i couldnt get a tampon in if a guy wouldnt be able to finger me.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:08 PM   #9
(female)

supert HB User

I used to have a hard time to at that age. Practice makes perfect.
Tampons are wonderful. Hardly know you have your period. I like
using Playtex Slim Fits. They have a plastic applicator & are small
and easy to use.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:03 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User

I don't use tampons to often caz I can't stand them, but when I know I won't have access to a bathroom for awhile I'll use one to be safe. I also like the OB ones their much more comfortable in my opinion!

Old 01-12-2005, 02:46 AM   #11
(female)

StarletDreamer HB User
Question Re: tampon help

Everytime I use tampons it seems after a couple hours Im getting leakage. So like if Im going to wear a tampon I must also wear a pad. That is so annoying to me since the reason for wearing a tampon is so u dont have to wear a diaper (pad) after all.

Am I doing something wrong?

Old 01-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #12
(female)

MermaidMer HB User

I used to be the same way as the original poster. I used to be absolutely terrified of tampons; whenever I tried to insert one it hurt, and I just gave up.

Well, my summer job was/is a swim instructor at a day camp, so I knew I would have to learn eventually. It finally happened that I got my period the same day I had to teach, so I was forced to use them.

When I first started using tampons, I used a mirror to help me find the right place to insert it. The reason it's hurting you is that you're more than likely inserting it wrong. When you put it in you're not supposed to feel it at all. Using a mirror helped because I could see the hole and see exactly where I needed to put the tampon. Things down there look a little weird (especially since it took me a while to realize I was using a magnifying mirror ) but it's also important to know your body well and know what everything looks like.

After some time you won't need the mirror anymore because you'll be comfortable with your body and you can just feel around and know where it goes. Also, it helps to use plastic applicators, because they are smoother and more comfortable than cardboard. I hope this helps! (and sorry I wrote so much, just thought I'd share my experience!)

Meredith

Last edited by MermaidMer; 01-12-2005 at 03:10 PM.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:58 PM   #13
(female)

Leese913 HB User

I've always had the same problem as the lady in the first post. Finally when I was about 19 I was sick of it and I went to the GYN. That's when I finally found out that I have a very small hymen and I also had a small strip of tissue running straight down the center both stopping anything from going inside. I had to have a really simple surgery called a hymenectomy to remove a bit of the outer edge of the hymen making it possible to insert tampons and to have intercourse. I waited to have this surgery until just this last December, about two days after I turned 21. If you are having problems see your doctor, and take care of it and get it done with, you'll be glad you did!!

Closed Thread