It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

Sugar64 HB User
Question 1-day or 3-day Monistat better for yeast infection?

To treat a yeast infection with the OTC drug Monistat, which one is better, the three day or the one day regimen? Do any of you have any experience with both? The one day seems very convenient, but it must be really strong. Does it work as well as the three day? I've used the three day before, but thought I might try something else. I just finished a round of antibiotics, and I'm starting to feel the beginnings of the dreaded yeast infection! :-( Thanks so much!

Old 01-13-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: 1-day or 3-day Monistat better for yeast infection?

They both contain the same drug, so effect-wise, they're identical.

I've heard women who've had bad experiences with the 1-day treatment. In fact, I don't know any women who has "successfully" used this treatment. So, based on the word-of-mouth experience I've heard, I'd personally opt for the 3-day treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #3

kristina4752 HB User

I've used the one day treatment thinking that it would treat my yeast infection quicker. It took about 5-7 days and left me incredibly sore from the strong dose. I would opt for the 3 day cream.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

I have used the one dose cream and it worked for me because what I had a very mild yeast infection (if thats even what it was ). Now 2 1/2 months later its back but I am sure it is a yeast infection this time because it has been bothering me a lot and I have some discharge thats yellow so I know thats not normal. The weird thing is I itch on and off its never constant. Like this morning I was itching terribly then didn't itch anymore until later this afternoon so I guess it could be worse. I am going to use the 7 day treatment just incase it works better and helps it not come back.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:25 PM   #5
Inactive

Dream0n83 HB User

i too used the 3days...trusted it more then 1 day!

Old 01-13-2005, 08:03 PM   #6
(female)

Sugar64 HB User

Thanks so much for all the information. I think I'll stick with the 3 day regimen. :-)

Old 01-14-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
(female)

jkoz HB User

My GYN said to use the 7 day treatments only. She said that the 1 or 3 day treatments just don't clear it up. I had tried the 3 day stuff and it did not clear it up. Actually, the 7 day treatment isn't doing its job for me now either. I get really bad yeast infestions frequently (every 1-2 months). My GYN gave me a prescription for some stronger stuff. It cleared it up, but it was back within 6-8 weeks.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:04 PM   #8

kristina4752 HB User

jkoz,

Have you tried taking aciophilus supplement pills? I was getting frequent yeast infections and the stopped as soon as I started taking them (knock on wood). They also helped my stomach from being upset all the time.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:57 PM   #9
(female)

Sugar64 HB User

Kristina, thank you for the acidophilus suggestion. I've read about it here, and I was looking at them in the drugstore. This might be good, considering I also have mild IBS and frequent upset stomach. How often do you take it? I guess I could take it along with my multivitamin and my calcium.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:16 PM   #10
(female)

Colleen04 HB User

I take the acidopholis 2 a day every day. I might be a bit obessive...but I don't want my BV to come back, so I take every precaution!

Old 01-15-2005, 10:36 AM   #11

kristina4752 HB User

I take it as directed on the bottle, 2 pills once a day. There was once, right before my period, when I felt like I was going to start a yeast infection so I took an extra dose and I never got one

I used to not be able to eat without an upset stomach afterwards, once I started taking acidophilus I've been able to eat eveything! (even mexican...one of my favs) with no worries! I call it the wonderpill.

Closed Thread