It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Tips for Cramps?

I get REALLY BAD menstrual cramps for the first 24-36 hours of my period. I am talking about the kind that make you want to double over in pain and make it almost impossible to get comfortable in any position. Pain relievers, including prescription ones, don't seem to help at all. I can get some relief from homeopathic remedies and the new (and brilliant!) thermo heat patches that stick to your underwear in the abdominal region. I was wondering if anyone here knows any tips, tricks, or home remedies that help with cramps? Thanks!

Old 01-15-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User
Re: Tips for Cramps?

Ask your doctor for an anti-inflammatory med like naproxen/naprosyn -- they'll help you far more than painkillers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

My doctor put me on prescription strength naproxen. It succeeded in shortening my period but didn't completely succeed with reducing my cramps, though it did help. They were all set to check me for endometriosis when I went on a diuretic for an unrelated reason (elevated testosterone). I haven't needed a painkiller since. No idea why!!!

Old 01-15-2005, 07:00 PM   #4
(female)

Rainbowbrite77 HB User

I know exactly how you feel. Every time I get my period I don't want to move... I want to crawl in a ball and die!!

The things that work best for me are

a) Having a hot bath
b) Taking advils... tylenol's dont do too much. Use IBprofen pills... (advil, alieve, motrin etc)
c) Hot water bottle
d) Actually getting out of bed and moving. I know you really don't want to but excersise does help out a bit.

Also, if they're really that horrible, try to get on birth control. I just started taking it, so i can't really tell you the outcome of it...

hope I helped

Old 01-15-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
(female)

rlslifer HB User

This is a little odd, but I swear by it for cramps.
I have suffered with those same cramps for years. The first day or two of a period leave me looking for the heating pad.
In a strange twist I tried a silly thing that worked.
My family uses hotel size bars of soap in our beds. An unwrapped bar of soap just under the bottom sheet. aches, pains, hot feet............etc. Not Dove or Dial.
I thought I'd try it one day for cramps. I don't know why it works.
I place a tiny bar of soap just under my belly button, next to my skin. My pants hold in in place or I'd tape it if I had to.
I've used it on sore muscles as well.
I know it sounds whacky. What have you got to loose to try?

Old 01-16-2005, 05:40 AM   #6

triangle HB User

I found that when I eat chilli pepper or the hot sauce made from them, in the week to 2 weeks before my period, I had very little cramping, sometimes none at all and no vomiting or diarrhea.

Closed Thread