It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
questions about KY jelly and condoms

Hi if you are trying to prevent vaginal infections like yeast and BV is KY jelly a bad idea? Does that change your PH and can you be allergic? What about lubricated condoms? I am not allergic to latex but is lubricated bad for you down there? And last but not least what about condoms with spermicide? Can the spermicide cause problems down there?

Old 01-20-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
(female)

Colleen04 HB User
Re: questions about KY jelly and condoms

Thats a really good question...cause I want to know the same thing! Thats one of the reasons I haven't used any lube, because I'm afraid of the same thing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #3

Zerberbaby HB User
Lightbulb Re: questions about KY jelly and condoms

Any lube you use should be water soluble. I personally have a problem with spermicides (causes rashes itching etc.) my husband is terribly allergic to spermicide so he is particularly careful to avoid getting them near him. I have also had reactions to some of the "flavored" lubricants. I have had a couple of them cause infections.

Any water based lube is safe for use with condoms. I have always preferred to use a separate lube, if you are worried about allergic reactions this might be the way to go since you can use elimination if you do have a reaction to something.

I personally like Wet Light brand lube. It is non-sticky, light textured, and water soluble. However, I did have a problem with the blueberry flavored lube by Wet (which does taste pretty good if you don't have problems with it, btw). Any lube that adds things like flavor, or synthetics which make it warm as you blow on it, etc. are going to run a bigger risk of problems. You may not know you are allergic to an ingredient until you use it.

Your best bet is to try a few different lubes and see which you like best. KY tends to be too sticky for me (and tastes horrendous!) but some people really like it. {removed} they sometimes have lube sampler packs and you can try several kinds without committing to spending $10+ for something you may not care for.

Condoms on the whole will decrease your chance of infections as well as STDs. Just like the ph in the vagina varies, so does the ph and make up of ejaculate. This is also true of saliva. The make up of an individual's saliva is unique and it is possible to have a reaction to it...but that is rare.

I guess the real answer is that it just depends on the individual. The real rule is to never use anything as a lubricant that is not water soluble. Not only is the risk of infection greater, but non-soluble lubricants (like vaseline) destroy the integrity of the condom and open you to the risk of STDs or pregnancy in addition to infection.

Hope that helps. I know I have tried several lubes and once you find one you like stick with it for a while to make sure you are okay with it, then get more "adventurous" and try some of the flavors and novelty type ones.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 01-21-2005 at 06:16 AM.

Old 01-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
Re: questions about KY jelly and condoms

Thanks for your detailed response. I guess I will have to see what happens. I have never had a problem with lubricated condoms but I have never tried spermicide and KY jelly. Thanks so much for the info and advice!

Closed Thread