It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2002, 10:50 AM   #1

Darlray HB User
Post Spotting between periods and heavy discharge

Well, I think I must be falling apart. I have been posting on the spinal cord disorder board for a herniated disc and am having surgery. In the meantime, I have started spotting between periods. It started in September. It has increased in amount and frequency. I have NEVER done this before. I have also developed(within the last year) a heavy, heavy discharge. It is white. I have had pain in the pelvic area and low back. I just figured these were part of getting older and have ignored it until I started reading about symptoms of cancer.

I have an appointment with the gynecologist on January 9. I haven't had a pap for 6 years, unfortunately. My last one was abnormal but I didn't take the time for a follow up. I felt fine. That doesn't matter though, I guess. I also did not educate myself very well as to cancers that could come about with NO symptoms.

Has anyone had a diagnosis with similar symptoms? I am afraid of having cancer. I regret not taking care and having pap smears done and what not. I hope it is not too late. What exactly can spotting between periods mean???? Is that common for cancer??

Scared to death
Darla

Old 12-11-2002, 01:10 PM   #2

kitty77 HB User
first of all don't stress your self with the idea about having cancer. yes spotting in between period and heavy discharge (smelly, change in color) are some of the symptoms of cancer but it can also be due to other condition. it's quit normal for some women to have spotting specially when they are ovulating. since you haven't had any pap test for 6 years then probably this is the time to visit you gyne and tell her the changes your experiencing. it's very much worth the time for a peace of mind

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2002, 06:53 AM   #3
Inactive

ashpie HB User
I have the same symptoms w/ the exeption of the frequent spotting..I had 1 episode of spotting 2 months ago..I have a heavy discharge and back pain..I have been back and forth to the doctor and my paps have been normal..this discharge has been heavy in the last year..how old are you?

Old 12-12-2002, 09:55 AM   #4

Darlray HB User
Kitty and jake thanks for helping me to not over react and stress so much. I will try not to.

asphie, I am 37, soon to be 38.

I talked to my sister and she told me to check out the symptoms of menopause. It could be that?? She also informed me, that on my biological mother's side(adopted) was a history of breast cancer and cervical cancer. I was not aware of that. My adoptive mother passed away last year and we had not even discussed that.

Old 12-12-2002, 11:26 AM   #5
Inactive

ashpie HB User
try not to worry..how abnormal was your last pap? I had an abnormal one and I didn't go back for 3 1/2 yrs and when I went back it was normal..the spotting can be anything from an infection to abnormal cells..it doesn't always mean cancer..I know first hand thoughwe always assume the worst..are you married? is the discharge a mucusy discharge?

Old 12-12-2002, 08:39 PM   #6

Darlray HB User
My last pap was.........6 years ago, and as I recall, it was abnormal and I didn't take the time to go back and forgot about it. I know, not good. The discharge is mucusy. I am married. When I found out I was pregnant with my first child, they found chlamydia. My husband and I were treated. Not sure who gave it to who or how long I had it. This also concerns me as far as having cervical cancer. As you can see, I have a lot of things...not in my favor. Used to smoke also.

Old 12-28-2002, 07:12 PM   #7

Sissyloo HB User
Unhappy

I have the same symtoms you do I have just started go to the gyne. for fertility problems and had a pap test done for the first time in 5 years. I got my results 26th and it wasn't good They are checking me now for papillomavirus and cervical cancer. I've never been so scared and what's even worst is that I have to wait 3 weeks for the results. My advise to you is try not to worry. I know thats easier said then done but try to keep busy until your appt. That's what I'm doing now. the one thing that I've learned from this is always go to doctor for your checkups.Your body always will have a surprise just around the corner. I have been praying everyday and I will pray for you to. And I hope everything turns out okay for everyone who has had to go though this.God Bless..
Sissyloo

Old 02-05-2003, 01:53 PM   #8

Loo 38 HB User
Hi there. I had heavy bleeding for 12 months. I kept going to the docs, they said it was my age. I then started getting heavy discharge. I went to the hospital and demanded attention. Within 3 days I found out I had cervical cancer. 2 Weeks later I had a hysterectomy and 5 weeks later, chemo and radiotherapy. I had my op May 02, and finished chemo Sept 02. I am back at work and am getting my life back together. Get checked out. Don't be frightened. Please don't leave it. If the doctor had took notice of me when i first went, it would have been simple laser treatment.

Closed Thread