It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2002, 09:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Post Extreme abdominal bloating? Put it in writing!

Hi All,
I'm new here and am in the process of being tested for "stuff." I've been going to various doctors for almost twelve months, and I've been feeling awful almost the entire time. My urging to you, expecially those of you who are feeling bloated, is to MEASURE YOURSELVES!

I've been complaining for months and months about being bloated, and the GI doctor (who is no longer my doctor) kept saying I had IBS. This from a guy who took 6 months to diagnose "patholgic GERD." In April I did see a gyne-oncologist, who sent me for an ultrasound and did a CA-125, but both were relatively normal. I finally went to a new gynecologist who sent me for abdominal and pelvic MRI's with contrast. They showed some uterine "signal abnormalities" which the radiologist thought might be either adenomyosis or possibly "multiple tiny leiomyomas (fibroids) obliterating the uterus." I don't think my symptoms match either possibility, though, as I have no bleeding or spotting and no cramping. I've got lots of hot flashes again, as I went off HRT in June.

What I mostly have is extreme abdominal pressure (with lots of other vague symptoms, which I won't get into here) with little gas. After Thanksgiving, after things calmed down around the house, I started to measure my girth; it was 8 inches bigger than the last measurement I'd made last February!!!! Over the past ten days, it has increased another 4 inches! I kid you not! I look pregnant- at least 6 or 7 months along. Of course I've outgrown my clothes. And the pressure and discomfort is almost continuous. The gynecologist cancelled the procedures I was to have undergone this past Monday, because what she had been hoping to diagnose would not explain the extreme bloating. So her office set up appointments with a new GI guy which I chose and also the gyne-oncologist. I was able to get in to see the oncologist yesterday, due to a cancellation. Although he was unimpressed with the bi-manual pelvic exam, he was impressed with the chart I showed him with my girth (at this point, not really my waist) measurements over the past ten days. He agrees something must be wrong, and says he has to go in to look. So now I'm scheduled again to have the tests the other doctor was to have done: (diagnostic) laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, and D&C. But I have to wait until January 2, since all doctors, it seems, are going on vacation over the holidays.

I'm so frustrated with this whole past year. And of course I wonder if this doctor missed something the first time around. But it's too early to get really worked up about anything. I'm trying to take it one day at a time, and although I'm no longer feeling like going to water aerobics classes, I think I'd better start walking, at least. I have no idea what is going on, and I have hopes that it could still turn out to be something relatively easy to deal with. I feel pretty certain that I'm probably looking at a hysterectomy in my future. I'll keep my appointment with the new GI guy this Tuesday, because I want his feedback, too.

Thanks for listening...
wr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2002, 09:00 AM   #2
Inactive

traveller HB User
Hi wr ,
a)I havent much to say , I wish it isnt something serious
b)Entreaty ,Keep posting the sequel .I also have abdominal bloating ,my.....pregnancy isnt so advanced ,I did an ovarian ultrasound with no tumors (just the same size cyst I have for years).I dont know what to do ,for the time being I am realy fasting .

Old 12-15-2002, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bella67 HB User
Winged,
I've been dealing with the same thing for years. Back in 96 I had my first child and had to have an emergency c-section. I failed to dialate after 17 hrs of induction. Ever since then I've had terrible pain in my left side where it feels like I've just had surgery. It comes and goes and along with that is extreme bloating. It's much worse when I have my period and I look about 6 mos pregnant. Over the past few years I've had 2 ultrasounds. One was transvaginal and the technician remarked if i had ever had polycystic ovary disease. I said NO.. why?? She told me that I'd have to talk to my doctor and when I spoke to her she said the ultrasound was normal. Which I found confusing since just 1 yr prior another doctor saw some cysts. All she did was put me on B/C pills which made me very ill. I then discontinued those and just learned to suffer with the discomfort. I usually have gas and bloating in the evenings. Sometimes so bad it causes abdominal pain that travels to my shoulder. I first thought I was having a heart attack, but realized it passed after a few hours. I would be seeing another doctor right now if i weren't so busy with another problem I was having. I had enlarged lymph nodes where I had them surgically removed last month. With follow up this week for another mass in my face. Not quite sure who to see or speak to now. I'm aggravated since I can't just find one darn doctor that can handle my problems in total.

Let me know how things go!

Old 12-15-2002, 03:29 PM   #4
Inactive

ashpie HB User
my mom is having the same symptoms..she suffers from extreme bloating, gas esp. at night, pain in her left side that radiates up..she has had a normal pelvic ultrasound and colonoscopy..do you also have constipation or diarrhea? stomach pain after eating?

Old 12-15-2002, 08:15 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bella67 HB User
I don't have constipation, but after bouts of stomach pain I'll have lots of gas. Usually relieved several hours later.

Old 01-14-2003, 09:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Unhappy

Well, I had my laparoscopy and hysteroscopy about a week and a half ago, and today I saw the doctor again to discuss the whole thing. The diagnosis? Pelvic adhesions, possibly secondary to some sort of infection. I don't have a history to support their being there, but I have the pictures to prove it. And he thinks the extreme belly distension is gas, but because everything is sort of glued together, the gut can't move properly and get rid of it. I'm only glad right now that I don't get gas cramps! He only did a biopsy on the endometrial scrapings, and those are ok. Grossly, he says there is no cancer, although he says there is a slim chance of something being in the tubes.

Anyway, I guess I'm going to surgery to remove "the works": I'll never have to worry about endometrial, or ovarian, or cervical cancers again! I think I'll scedule everything then discuss it with my husband later when he gets home.

I didn't post here for a long time, as I got involved with the holidays. Luckily I had enough energy to do about two days of shopping, then we celebrated with the family. I didn't have to decorate the house, or clean, or cook. What a relief. But I'm so uncomfortable sitting here at the computer; oh, what am I saying? I'm so uncomfortable anyway!

Thank you traveller and bella for responding. Traveller, did you ever figure out what your problem was? I can feel your pain. Bella, right now I'm inclined to guess that your pain and bloating are also associated with adhesions. At least you have had surgery, and adhesions do form around incisions; hey, they are a scar tissue (I've even learned that there is a whole society for adhesions). So maybe if your gut is also involved, that may cause bloating. But then there also is IBS, that catch-all diagnosis. (Sort of like fibromyalgia, PMS, and ADHD, right?) And the doctor warned me that I may have shoulder pain after the surgery, and that this would be due to irritation of the diaphragm, due to the CO2 gas they use to bloat up the abdomen so they can see things in there. I wonder if that is why your should hurts? Just a guess, and it could be wayyyy off. I can identify with trying to figure out which medical problem gets priority, because I have at least one other significant problem: a bad neck. I thought it was fibromyalgia, but we'll see how I feel after the epidural injections. Anyway, I'll keep you posted. "Hang" in there, you two (gee, I wish I could get a strap to hold my belly up).
wr

Old 01-14-2003, 07:26 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bella67 HB User
Hey winged!!,
so glad to hear you are ok I can imagine you are quite uncomfortable, but at least it's over with and you have some answers. Very good news too, although I'm sure you aren't looking forward to surgery again. Thank God it's not cancer too!

As from what you mentioned about it being possible adhesions for me also sounds logical. If I try to exercise, have my period, or do anything to move the muscles in my lower abdomen I get alot of distention in my pelvic area. It's almost as uncomfortable as when I had my initial c-section. I'm glad you shared your outcome. Makes me more at ease to find out the cause of my own ailments. Take care of yourself and glad to see ya back!!

Bella

Old 01-14-2003, 08:38 PM   #8

snowblindo HB User
I was wondering why you say you've had the same cyst for year??? I'm 28 and have had 2 diagnosed cysts and many more in between that I just didnt do anything about because doctors are quacks. Anyhow when I had my first cyst my then OBGYN told me that if they are fluid filled then they desolve in 3 to 6 weeks but if they do not then they have to be removed or at least checked out by biopsy. Also, ultrasound techs are not alloud to tell you anything while preforming the tests. But , If I were you, I would DEMAND to see the report.
My grandma was told by a tech that she had a tumor and the doctor said she was ok. 4 months later, she died of ovarian cancer!
Good Luck

Old 02-15-2003, 01:13 PM   #9

Careyanne HB User
Winged, Hope things are going OK for you. Have you had to schedule a hysterectomy yet?

Your symptoms sounded like mine several years ago. I was feeling so sick, was doubled over with pain in my abdomen & my stomach was getting bigger & bigger although I was eating less & less (had no appetite). I went to my GP who referred me to a gynecologist. She performed a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy & D&C & told me I had severe endometriosis, ademyosis & a fast growing uterine fibroid. That was what was causing my abdomen to enlarge so quickly. It looked like I was about 6 montohs pregnant!

She was reluctant to perform a hysterectomy because I was only 37 but 2 weeks after the lap I began to hemorrhage & had to have an emergency hysterectomy. Another factor that contributed to my having the surgery was that my mother & her mother (my maternal grandmother) had uterine cancer.

Hope things are going well for you now.

Keep us posted on how you're getting along.

Hugs & prayers!

Old 02-15-2003, 06:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Careyanne,
How strange is it that you just posted here? I just got home today from my TAH/BSO, and I'm doing pretty good; I must say that for the most part I hurt less than I have the past few months! But I nearly dropped my teeth when the doctor said he found old endometriosis!!!!!! I never in my life expected that, and I don't think he did either. I think I belong in Guiness Book of World Records, since I did not get these symptoms until a year after menopause. I mean.... I don't get it!!!!!

Gotta go for now. Just can't sit up long yet. I'm sorry to hear your story, and I hope they got everything before it was too late.
wr

Old 02-16-2003, 05:05 AM   #11

walters HB User
You are not eating too much. For years, "doctors" dismissed my mother's complaints about her swollen abdomin. "Pasta" was their diagnosis. My mother was skinny. Finally, when she was failing to recover from bypass surgery, they did all the tests and found 4th stage Endomtrian cancer. That was a year ago. She died Feb 13. Yes, she went to the big guns at Sloan Kettering and NYU. Useless. No, she didn't have any other health issues, she was vital and fine. For five years doctors missed the obvious. Do not rest until you have a firm diagnosis for your abdominal swelling.

Old 02-16-2003, 06:35 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Walters,
What a sad story, but too often that type of story is true. We must all take responsibility for our health, meaning we have to work until we get a diagnosis that fits our symptoms and complaints. Too often doctors do not really "hear" us, and they diagnose.... well, who knows why they diagnose as they do? So we'll shut up? So we'll stop taking up their precious time? So they can bill us? I don't know!

I just know that it often takes far more work than you can imagine to find a good doctor who truly seems to care about us. And if you are too sick, you need a lot of help from people who can take up this challenge of finding a good doctor. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work.

Gee, am I rambling? I'd better go crawl into my chair and sleep off my pain pill. Stories like this make me want to cry, because my mother had endo. cancer, too.
wr

Old 02-16-2003, 11:21 AM   #13

Careyanne HB User
Walters, I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. My sincerest sympathies to you.

Sounds a lot what happened to my mom. She survived the uterine cancer only to develop colon cancer 16 years later. We didn't know that a person who has had uterine, breast or ovarian cancer is at higher risk for developing colon/rectal cancer too.

For 3 months she complained of abdominal pain but since she'd already had a total hysterectomy, she knew it couldn't be from reproductive organs. So she went to her GP who misdiagnosed her with a stomach ulcer & gave her Axid which she faithfully took. But the pain got worse & she started swelling up. Finally they did a sigmoidoscopy & colonoscopy & discovered she had colon cancer that had mestastizied to her liver. Within 8 months of her diagnosis, she passed away a very painful death. It was so sad & so unnecessary!

Another case of doctors misdiagnosing a person's symptoms. So I'm an advocate of being the "squeaky wheel that gets the oil" when it comes to not giving in to one doctor's diagnosis. I think sometimes it's good to get a 2nd even a 3rd opinion.

Winged, I hope your recovery goes smooth. By all means, take it easy & DON'T lift anything heavier than a fork & a pencil! (That's what my doc told me! LOL) There are lots of internal stitches that take months to heal & you don't want to rip those up!

Hugs & prayers!

Closed Thread