It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 07:27 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Enlarged Uterus & Thickened Lining Help!

My doctor called last night to tell me the results of my transvaginal ultrasound. She said I had a generous uterus and prominent endometrial lining. Also said there was either a polyp, fibroid or blood clot. My ovaries are fine. She wants me come back after my next menstrual cycle for another ultrasound for confirmation. I am 53 and still having cycles. Before the ultrasound I had a colpo and biopsy. One of the biopsies showed atypical cells, and they could not rule out low grade dysplasia. My cervix is also 'deformed' on one side, but biopsied okay. I don't spot between cycles, but I am anemic and have chronic constipation.
Has anybody had these symptoms? What was your diagnosis? It's been 4 months and I still don't know what is going on. This unsettled 'business' is starting to wear on me, and I would appreciate any insight!

Old 02-02-2005, 08:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User
Re: Enlarged Uterus & Thickened Lining Help!

I had a transvaginal ultrasound due to very heavy, long periods. Had follow up visit yesterday in which doctor performed a uterine biopsy....not fun. She said I had very large fibroids. Whether the biopsy comes out clean or not, she said I may need a hysterectomy. However, after reading things on the internet, it said most hysterectomies are done for fibroids and are unnecessary. There are other ways to treat it. I follow up with the doctor in two weeks and we'll discuss options.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Hangin in There

How do they do the biopsy? Does it take long? Is it lasting pain, or just painful for a minute? She mentioned a hysteroscopy and biopsy, especially if the 'spot' is a polyp.
I had 4 cervix biopsies and the first three were easy. The fourth was farther into the endo canal, and a little more uncomfortable, but okay. I am the biggest chicken, but if I know what to expect it helps a little!

Old 02-03-2005, 05:31 AM   #4
(female)

islandgirl HB User

Gingertea: I too was recently told I had an enlarged uterus and thickenend lining. I do have a fibroid and another mass which the doctor strongly feels is a polyp. I am scheduled to do a D&C to scrape the thickened lining down and remove the polyp. My symtoms are very painful menstrual cramps and abnormal bleeding between cycles. What are your symtoms? Why prompted the doctor to perform the biopsy?

Old 02-03-2005, 07:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User

gingertea,

I don't know what kind of instrument the doctor used, but, after a pap smear, she inserted some kind of instrument into my uterus to scrape a sample. She had a very difficult time getting in because of the fibroids. She tried probably five minutes and couldn't get far enough up. We took a ten minute break. She said if she couldn't get enough, I would have to have a D & C. I didn't want that so I said she could try again. She worked on it another five minutes and thought she got enough. It felt like my insides were being poked with a needle. It may not take as long for you. She had an extra hard time because my fibroids were in the way.

She said I would probably have cramps afterwards. They gave me Advil before I left. I felt a little weak the rest of the day and kept imagining feeling the sharp poking sensation. Yesterday (the day after) I felt just fine. I was awakened in the middle of the night (this morning) with some bad cramps. I took an Ibuprofen and was fine.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
(female)

Becky2259 HB User

Gingertea,
I had an endometrial biopsy and found it quite painful. I found out later that if you take a large dose of ibuprofen beforehand it is not quite so painful. Ask your doctor how much you should take before the procedure and when. Also if they are going to do a hysteroscopy you will be asleep for that and most likely they would do the biopsy at the same time so you won't feel a thing.

I am also wondering what symptoms prompted all this testing.

Best Wishes

Becky in OHIO

Last edited by Becky2259; 02-03-2005 at 08:12 AM.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User

And I was told by someone else beforehand, "Oh, it's nothing, just like a pap smear".

Old 02-03-2005, 08:48 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There, thanks for the info and being candid. I know what you mean about imagining the feeling after it is over......even though the cervix biopsies weren't painful, just the thought of it made me want to throw up!

island girl and Becky, The only reason I went to see a gynecologist was because my regular doctor noticed a nodule on my cervix during an exam and thought it should be checked out. When I had the colposcopy, and the gyn painted the solution on the cervix and several spots showed up abnormal. She did the biopsy on those, and one came back with atypia. Regarding the ultrasound.....she apparently felt something unusual during the manual examination of the uterus, and also said it was tipped too much for her to examine thoroughly. I never reported any heavy bleeding, because it was normal for me. My only symptom was anemia. Even the pap I had came back normal! I would guess all the tests started with my distorted cervix and escalated from there. (There was a question whether my Mom took DES when she was pregnant. DES daughters show structual changes in their cervix. My Mom passed away so I can't ask her and my Dad says no.) My age is probably a factor......I'm past the normal age for regular cycles, and no sign of slowing down! Another factor might be my Mom had cancer....started with breast (it was considered cured after 5 years), but then had lung, brain, and liver cancer. Personally, I didn't go in with any complaints!

Old 02-03-2005, 09:33 AM   #9
(female)

fanofopera HB User

I have to get a sonohystergram(sp) on the 15th. I had a transvaginal us and the doctor saw cysts on my ovaries and my uterus was thickened. My doctors think I have pcos. Which I do too. I have all the symptoms. She had mentioned a biopsy too before but don't know if I will get one at my next appointment. I'm going out of my mind. I know I also have fibroids and bleed pretty much all the time. I'm 35. Is there any other reason other pre cancer or cancer for you uterus to be thickened? She also said she might have seen a polyp on the us and wants to look around. Anyway what can I expect with this test? Any other help would be appreciated. Thanks, Kay

Old 02-03-2005, 03:16 PM   #10
(female)

islandgirl HB User

I asked my doctor what can cause a thickened uterine lining and she told me that uterine polyps can cause it. I too am wondering what else can cause the lining to thicken? Does anyone else here know?

Old 02-03-2005, 03:29 PM   #11
(female)

Becky2259 HB User

sometimes the lining can thicken just normally throughout the month, which is the reason that they often will want to recheck it at another time. Hormone fluctuations are often responsible for the thickening. If your hormones are out of balance with too much estrogen and not enough progesterone often it creates a state where the lining builds up too much. This can cause abnormal bleeding and in some cases it can lead to abnormal cells. You might want to ask your doctor about progesterone cream. {removed}Dr Lee is the pioneer of progesterone. He does not sell the cream but you can find it easily at a health food store or through a compounding pharmacist. I believe that thyroid hormone problems can also cause issues with the lining of your uterus or abnormal bleeding.

best wishes to you

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 02-04-2005 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Read posting rules. No websites.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:52 AM   #12
(female)

bengalcatsforu HB User

I am scheduled for a Uterine Biopsy because my uterus went from 2.6mm to 5.1mm my pap and hpv test were all fine. It is still makes us worry. Especially being in the middle of a divorce and just met someone wonderful.

Closed Thread