It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User
ughh..Urinary Tract Infection, any advice?

Hey, maybe some of you have some advice. I haven't had a UTI in over 6 years and just got one this week. I have been on antiboditics since Thursday night, but today it feels even worse. I'm drinking alot of water. I've never had one this bad.

How long does it usually take to go away? And is there anything else I can do other than drink cranberry juice (it upsets my stomach) in order for it to clear it? Is it possible that a UTI could be so bad that antiboditics don't help?

Thanks, ughh..one of the wonderful things about being a female

Last edited by elatedgiraffe; 02-05-2005 at 01:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2005, 08:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rms11 HB User
Re: ughh..Urinary Tract Infection, any advice?

Hi, sometimes it takes time to get everything flushed out. I had a UTI for a long time once, I had to try a few dif antibotics till something worked. It really sometimes gets worse before better, your body is flushing out all of the bacteria and this can make it more painful, though in reality you are getting better because it is flushing everything out. The sell cranberry tablets in the healthfood store that really work good at flushing everything out, not sure if they would hurt your stomach though. Feel better and take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
(female)

wild_thang_386 HB User

i recently had my 1st UTI and i looked on the net for tips, here are a few...hope they help...(even if u know them or some)
Tips for Preventing Urinary Tract Infections
1) The most important tip to prevent urinary tract infections, bladder infections, and kidney infections is to practice good personal hygiene. Always wipe from front to back after a bowel movement or urination, and wash the skin around and between the rectum and vagina daily. Washing before and after sexual intercourse may also decrease a woman's risk of UTI.
2) Drinking plenty of fluids (water) each day will help flush bacteria out of the urinary system and emptying the bladder as soon as the urge to urinate occurs may also help to decrease the risk of bladder infection or UTI. Some physicians recommend urinating before and after sex as well as a mean of flushing out any bacteria that may enter the urethra during sexual intercourse.
3) Vitamin C makes the urine acidic and helps to reduce the number of potentially harmful bacteria in the urinary tract system.
4) Wear only panties with a cotton crotch--cotton allows moisture to escape whereas other materials may trap moisture and create a potential breeding ground for bacteria.
5) Cranberry juice often helps to reduce frequency of bladder infections. Cranberry supplements are available over-the-counter and many women find they work amazingly quickly when an UTI has occurred, however, a physician's diagnosis is still necessary even if cranberry juice or herbals reduce pain or symptoms.
6) If you experience frequent urinary tract infections changing sexual positions that cause less friction on the urethra may help. Some physicians prescribe an antibiotic to be taken immediately following sex for women who tend to have frequent UTIs.

Old 02-06-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User

My sister was just in the hospital this past week for a really bad uti. She is also on antibiotics which seems to be helping her. They had to keep pumping fluids into her at the hospital till she started to feel semi-better. They told her to drink nothing but clear fluids and cranberry juice. So try and drink as much water as possible. Perhaps you could stomach cranberry juice dilutated with water? They also have her watching what she eats...nothing to solid; soup, crackers, toast, applesauce, bananas to name a few. Hope you feel better soon! Watch your sugar n caffiene intake also!

Closed Thread