It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 11:22 AM   #1

Zerberbaby HB User
Question Breast Cyst Removal

I am scheduled for Monday to have a breast cyst removed. The surgeon wants to remove the cyst whole (rather than just drain it). I have several cysts, but this one is near the surface and can be felt as a lump and that is the only one he will be removing.

My question is in regard to recovery. Has anyone out there had a cyst removed whole? What is scarring (this is on the top of my breast on the "cleavage") and recovery like?

This is the least painful of the cysts, but because of the proximity to the surface, this will be the first one that he removes. The others are all much deeper in the breast tissue (none can be felt from the outside) and much more painful. It was my understanding that breast cysts were drained, not removed whole, unless they "refilled". My mammogram did come back good, my risk of cancer is .4%, this is effecting both breasts and ultrasound confirms they are all fluid filled. I am unsure why the surgeon is so adamant on removing at least the 1st cyst whole, but he wants it done as a precaution, and I guess I can say I would rather be safe than sorry later.

Can cysts be cancerous? Or become cancerous? While the possiblility of cancer is scary, my immediate problem is the pain...which now goes thru my armpit and into both my arms (the other cysts are sitting on nerves). If all proves good on Monday with the full removal and follow up pathology, I would like to have the other cysts just drained.

Anyone else been thru this?

Thanks for the info and advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
(female)

MaryAnn HB User
Re: Breast Cyst Removal

I have never had a cyst removed only drained. My doctor has always given removal as an option. With draining, the cyst may keep returning in the same spot, but with surgically removing it, it won't come back. I suppose every doctor thinks differently about that. Cysts don't become cancer. I know that once you have had a cyst, the chances are you will continue to get them. I have had many in the last 3 years. The majority of them have gone away on their own. I've had 2 drained. My doctor has always said that I can just leave them that they don't hurt anything, but I don't like knowing they are there. I know it's not fun but try not to worry! Good luck.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:39 PM   #3

Zerberbaby HB User

Thanks for the info MaryAnn. My family doctor originally told me to go to the surgeon to have them drained, so that is what I expected to happen, but the surgeon is adamant that at least one be removed whole and have a full pathology done on it...like I said, I guess better safe than sorry.

Since you have had them drained, how is that done? All the gory details if you please, what my mind can come up with is, I am sure, far worse than the reality!

The larger cysts are deep and painful, so I will probably want to have them done as soon as the doctor gives the okay on the pathology of the one he is removing. The one he is taking out whole is not even painful unless you press hard on it, but since it is so close to the surface it will be the easiest to remove for pathology.

Thanks again for the info and taking the time to post!

Old 02-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #4
(female)

MaryAnn HB User

Draining the cysts is nothing. They just use a needle like they would for a shot and put the needle into the cyst and drain the liquid. I do remember my doctor saying that they do send the fluid in to be checked out but that he had never heard of it EVER coming back as cancer. I'm small breasted so my cysts have been easily felt, I would imagine since yours are deep, they would use ultrasound to find them and guide the needle for draining. I'm sure everything will go fine and it definately is better to be safe than sorry. Post back on how things go.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:16 AM   #5

Zerberbaby HB User
Unhappy Re: Breast Cyst Removal to Cancer?

I had my cyst removed yesterday. I am very swollen today, since they removed extra tissue and then had to take tissue from another area of my breast to fill in the "hole".

I am greatly concerned however, that in talking to my husband (and lets face it, he is a man and easily confused) the doctor gave him the impression that the cyst was actually cancer. That is not however the impression I got after surgery, but the surgeon came into recovery right after I did and I was not as clear as I should have been.

I am going to put in a call today and see if I can get some clear answers, but has anyone else ever heard of a cyst being cancerous? My understanding is that cancer has to have a blood supply in order to grow, and an ultrasound confirmed this was a fluid filled sac with no blood supply.

I will put a post on the cancer board...I think there is one specifically for breast cancer...but any imput from you ladies would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2005, 12:19 PM   #6

Zerberbaby HB User
Unhappy Re: Breast Cyst Removal

Well, got the word from the doc...it is cancer. I guess that answers the question for sure if a breast cyst can be cancerous.

I have surgery on Friday to remove lymphnodes to see if it has spread as well as bone scans, xrays, and ct scans over the next few days.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:56 PM   #7
(female)

MaryAnn HB User

Just wondering how everything is going. I am shocked that a cyst was cancer! Most everything I've read says that cysts don't become cancer so that is a real eye opener. Hope to hear more from you when you're feeling up to it.

Closed Thread