It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Large Uterus and Fibroids ? Help

Just got back from my second transvaginal ultrasound. The first one showed a large uterus, thickened endometrial lining and a polyp. I was told to come back after my next cycle. The second ultrasound showed an enlarged uterus and at least 2 fibroids, but the lining was no longer thickened and a polyp did not show up. The doctor still has to read the ultrasound and compare it with the first. I am 53 years old with heavy periods, and anemia. What, if any, options or treatments are available for an enlarged uterus and fibroids? Anybody else with experience in this area? I suspect I will get a call from the doctor next week and I don't want to sound totally stupid when I talk to her.

Last edited by gingertea; 02-11-2005 at 03:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Re: Large Uterus and Fibroids ? Help

I have the same thing. I'm 49 and my uterus is the size of a 12-15 week pregnancy. I also found out I have multiple fibroids and a mishaped uterus...only because I just had a CT scan for an unrelated problem.

Had a D&C to remove a polyp about five years ago, but my periods are just as heavy. I keep hoping menopause is at my doorstep, but I'm as regular as clockwork and really don't have any symptoms of the change...maybe a night sweat now and then, but nothing routinely or bothersome.

The fact that you are 53 and still have periods sure doesn't make me feel any better. I'm betting I'll be like you with the periods still going on while my friends will be looking at me and saying, "you still get a period?"!!!

I really don't know what to tell you. I've contemplated having a hysterectomy, but that is such a big decision and I keep hoping I'm close to the change. I've had a c-section so I know that kind of pain somewhat; plus the recovery time. I would never be able to have a vaginal hyst as my uterus is too large.

All I can say is do some research online and ask as many questions as you can to your doctor and see what she says. I do know that there are options, like an embolization (which my doctor no longer does). He said that sometimes that's only a temporary fix. There is also something called a myomectomy where only the fibroids are removed, but I don't know much about it.

Let me know how you make out, I'd love to discuss some options with my doctor as I'm going to see him in a few months. Good luck!

Last edited by Dianek; 02-11-2005 at 04:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #3

QTee HB User

I was diagnosed with fibroids when I was 32 and at that time my uterus was 12 weeks. Now Iím 44, my uterus is 20 weeks and I have been battling with heavy bleeding, anemia and cramps for 5 years.

A couple of weeks ago I went to an herbalist and explained my problems and he recommended herbs for my condition. I asked if he had MDís he referred his customers to and he did but they were not GYN.

I was able to find a Holistic GYN/MD that was willing to work with me using the herbs. I asked her if she had knowledge of any successful shrinkage of fibroids with a uterus the size of mine. She said that the herbs would possibly manage the symptoms I was having but that there is usually minimal fibroid shrinkage, but could not rule out the possibility the herbs would be successful in significantly reducing the size of my fibroids.

Iíll start taking the herbs (Sarsaparilla Root, Red Clover Blend, Essiac Tea and Pau dí Arco Herbal Tonic Tea) tomorrow as well as a diet change and an exercise program. I go back to my GYN in three months. Iíll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Qtee

Old 02-16-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
(female)

pkmark HB User

I am 43 amd have a large fibroid I just learned my platelets in my blood are high I have very heavy periods Can the fibroids and heavy bleeding cause that with my platelets I dont know if I am anemic I go to the dr nesxt week

Old 02-16-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User

I have heavy periods, an enlarged uterus and fibroids. Just had a uterine biopsy, which came back NEGATIVE!

We're going to try birth control pills to control the bleeding.

Old 02-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Oh great, a third ultrasound! Just got a call from my doctor and besides the fibroids
my right ovary has a cyst, and the left ovary has a 'dense area of uncertain clinical significance.' What is that supposed to mean? I go in for another ultrasound in 4 weeks, but in the meantime I have another appointment, for a pelvic exam. I also have a distorted cervix she is keeping an eye on. I hope she can answer my questions. I need another colposcopy/biopsy in 4 months because of an area of atypical cells on my cervix. Ovaries, cervix, uterus.......could it somehow be related?
Sure would be nice to get a diagnosis, and not be left hanging for months at a time.

Closed Thread