It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2005, 09:08 PM   #1

ShanniC HB User
I hate my breast size!

I'm 20 years old and have large breasts. My backs sometimes aches, and I hate that I can't wear certain clothes. I am thinking about getting a breast reduction. I am a size 52DD, and even then it's uncomfortable wearing certain types of bras. My breasts are also slightly uneven. I read somewhere that this is normal for women to have lopsided breasts and that one in twenty women have uneven, or lopsided breasts. I feel that mine are more noticeable because my breasts are so big! Do lopsided breasts ever grow out evenly? Also, do I have any other recourse to rid myself of back pains? This has always been a senstive issue for me because ever since I was twelve my breasts have been rather large. I just hope that there is something I can do for myself. It makes me self concious, and I don't like it! Does anyone have any advice?

Old 02-16-2005, 09:53 PM   #2
Inactive

kerry1 HB User
Re: I hate my breast size!

Your best option may be breast reduction. If it's causing you health problems (like back pain) it may be covered by insurance. Many women are lopsided but let's face it - big breasts get more attention, lopsided or not.

One thing I'd advise - try to find a type of surgery that will take out excess breast tissue without having to put in a prosthesis. Sometimes they do this to make the breasts look "perky" so you won't have a saggy look after surgery, but I don't think it's ever a safe bet to have someone surgically insert an artificial part in your body unless it's absolutely vital. Be picky about the surgeon! They should be able to do the job to your satisfaction, without added parts.

Last edited by kerry1; 02-16-2005 at 09:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2005, 12:13 AM   #3

Zerberbaby HB User

Breast reduction is probably your best option. It will relieve your back pain and can help with the "lopsidedness" that you feel.

If you go to the cosmetic surgery board and post I am sure you will get some response from the ladies there about the procedure.

Find a good plastic surgeon you are comfortable with and go for it.

Old 02-18-2005, 06:47 AM   #4
(female)

Karenme HB User

Hello , I had a breast reduction and have never regreted it. I was a 42G and am now a 40C. I also had back pain, headache's a hand numbness. All were gone after the surgery.
Everyone else is right, find a great plastic surgeon. Ask to see before and after pictures and you will get an idea of his work. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:51 AM   #5
(female)

Teacher79 HB User

I'm not sure what my original size was because I didn't wear the correct bra size. I'm 25 and this past December was a year ago, that I had 8 lbs removed from my breasts. I am now a 40 C. I'm currently trying to lose weight so I'm sure they'll get smaller!

My breast reduction was almost the best thing I've did in my life. My back pain is gone and my self esteem has shot up quite a bit. I guess with the amount I had removed the surgery was a bit worse. Before the surgery, I thought it was going to be a piece of cake, but it took me awhile to fully recover...but it was worth it!

I would advise you to go and see if you're eligible! My insurance paid for it all ($19,000+) except for some copays even with me being a bit overweight.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
(female)

julie39180 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanniC
I'm 20 years old and have large breasts. My backs sometimes aches, and I hate that I can't wear certain clothes. I am thinking about getting a breast reduction. I am a size 52DD, and even then it's uncomfortable wearing certain types of bras. My breasts are also slightly uneven. I read somewhere that this is normal for women to have lopsided breasts and that one in twenty women have uneven, or lopsided breasts. I feel that mine are more noticeable because my breasts are so big! Do lopsided breasts ever grow out evenly? Also, do I have any other recourse to rid myself of back pains? This has always been a senstive issue for me because ever since I was twelve my breasts have been rather large. I just hope that there is something I can do for myself. It makes me self concious, and I don't like it! Does anyone have any advice?
i have had a breast reduction and would do it again. i have alwaz had big breast since jr high and the back aches. OMG! its been 2 yrs since and now the only time i get a back ache is when i have drank to many cokes and get a bladder infection.
now i can get cute bras and love it.......

Old 02-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

faeriegirl25 HB User

I have had large breasts ever since I started developing, 42DD now and my breasts are lopsided as well. I have noticed that good support bra helps with the pain and heaviness. I have a breast that is heavier than the other and I find it can be quite painful at times. It is so hard to find bras at larger sizes without looking like they are cut from a potato sack, maybe you could try some of the specialty shops if reduction surgery isn't what you are looking for.
Take Care
Fae

Old 02-23-2005, 04:08 PM   #8
(female)

Michaela25 HB User

I had a reduction almost 3 years ago. I was two sizes smaller in one breast. I love my breasts now, and although I had no implants, they are very perky! (36C now) My back problems are better, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck,
Michaela

Old 02-24-2005, 02:18 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User

Having big breasts is a real pain, literally! Before I had my breast reduction this past July, I was a DDD. Now I'm a C and love it! I would do it all over again if I had to. I also had backaches and had been going to the chiropractor for 15 years prior to that. I had been under the mistaken assumption that since a breast reduction is plastic surgery and what I thought to be considered cosmetic that insurance wouldn't cover it. I found out differently when talking to a nurse at the hospital when I was there for something else. She told me that if I'd want to get a breast reduction my insurance would probably pay for it if I was having some type of medical problem (i.e. backaches) because of my large breasts. I immediately went to my family doctor who then referred me to a plastic surgeon who I then saw for a consultation. His office sent the info to the insurance company and after about a month the plastic surgeon heard back from them that the surgery would be covered (the cost was a little over $5000). I started the process in January and finally was able to have it done the beginning of July (the plastic surgeon is very busy and you have to schedule an appointment months in advance).

My breasts were lopsided too (they had been ever since I can remember and stayed that way over the years), but they are even now. The plastic surgeon removed excess tissue and skin and made my areolas smaller and did some liposuction along the sides under my armpits. My breasts are now perky and look like they belong to someone in her twenties. I think my breasts always sagged, but over the years and after having kids it got worse. I am still amazed at the difference and can't help looking at myself in the mirror and being so thankful that we have such technology and that doctors are so skilled that they can make our lives so much better in that way.

If I'd be you, I'd look into having the surgery done. I'm sure you will never regret it. I've talked to some other women who have had this done, and they've all said how happy they are with the results. I certainly am too!

If you would like to read the details about my breast reduction (reduction mammoplasty), the following thread is where I went into a lot of detail about it a couple months ago when someone else had wanted to know about the surgery; this thread should answer most of the questions you might have about it:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=237008

Good luck and if you have any more questions, just ask.

Closed Thread