It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

ANYMLKRAKR HB User
Exclamation Help!!! YEAST & Possible Pregnancy?

Hello,
Just curious, I seem to get a lot of yeast infections. I have been tested for diabetes, HIV, all that stuff and all the tests come back negative so I know its nothing like that causing them. When i do get them, they are soo painful. I have extreme itching, and a burning sensation around my inner labia especially on urination. Anyway, my doctors don't really know why (yet) i keep getting them. I was advised to eat yogurt, which i am doing now. And, not use nonoxyl 9 condoms. But, could it have anything to do with my Birth Control, I have been on it for like 5 years, its called Loestrin. Also, I missed two pills in a row, and had unprotected sex on the first day (twice) that i missed the pill, and then again 2 times on the second day i missed my pill. I started to spot bleed like two days later. I did not take the pills that i missed, just thew them out since I didnt want to take 3 at a time. Then I got a yeast infection. How likely is it to be pregnant? I am kind of worried, don't know what the likely hood is since i did it within the same days. Any suggestions would help! Any suggestions to help me with my yeasT? Its aweful! Anything would help. Oh, I never eat milk or cheese at all, don't know if this matters? THanks so much!

Old 02-25-2005, 06:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Re: Help!!! YEAST & Possible Pregnancy?

I have read and heard in many places that birth control pills can cause yeast infections. However, when I have mentioned this to 2+ doctors, they say that it doesn't.
I hadn't had a yeast infection until I started taking the pill... at which point (after a few months), I started gettting regular (monthly) infections. I spent lots of money and time trying to fix them, only to have one again the next month - sometimes twice per month (before and after a period)! Since then, I have adjusted my diet and other things to prevent them... and now I don't have a problem any more than a few times per year... usually when extremely worn out and stressed.. or taking antibiotics and forgetting my acidophilus.

I would not suggest yoghurt, as you can buy acidophilus capsules that contain far more acidophilus than yoghurt does. I use Inner Health Plus capsules that contain 25 billion cells. I take it less than once per day (just whenever I remember ). Yoghurt is still good.. but it is not strong enough to prevent infections, not in my opinion, anyway.

Do your doctors suggest any treatment? You can take large doses of acidophilus as treatment.. or, you can purchase over-the-counter creams or pessaries that you must insert for 1 to 6 days. I prefer the 1-day ones... but the 6-day seems to be more effective, I think.

Also, Tea-Tree oil (diluted) can be used to lessen the pain/itch, externally.

I'm not sure what else to say. Let me know if you want more information and I will write more at a better time of day.

While pregnancy can cause increased occurence of infections, I don't think that is what the cause is. If you have had tests for all those things, they probably took a HcG test while they were at it (they do here anyway.. just to be sure).

Yeast infections are common and most people will have at least one in their life time... so this might just be your time.. and everything else just a coincidence.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
(female)

astw22 HB User

Yeast infections can be caused by changes in hormones.. thus I had my first ones while I was pregnant due to the wacky hormonal changes...once I gave birth and first got back on the pill I got another yeast infection...probably due to the fact that the birth control pill also causes changes in hormones...Ive been back on the pill for two months and all is clear now...I can't see how after 5 years of being on the birth control pill for a yeast infection to crop up now but like the other poster mentioned.. it just may be your time to get one and some other things are just coincidences... I never used yogurt or anything like that.. I just took monistat and it cleared them up right away... best thing to do if they keep reoccuring is to discuss with your doc the possibility it could be related to your pill...good luck...

Married DH - February 10, 2004
DD Avery Born - November 23, 2004

Old 02-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

I don't normally get yeast infections. When I was pregnant I didn't even get one. But when I started using Nuva Ring as my birth control I got 2 within a couple months. I talked to my doctor and he says it is a common complaint with nuva ring and said if I switched to an oral contraceptive I wouldn't have any more problems. I have heard people say birth control causes yeast and the birth control pamphlets list it as a side effect. Yasmin's website lists vaginal infections as a side effect even though it is a birth control pill.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
(female)

ANYMLKRAKR HB User

Thank you all so much for all your help! I really appreciate the support
and helpful hints, I will take them all into consideration.

Closed Thread