It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 09:29 PM   #1

Zerberbaby HB User
Red face Breast Cysts CAN BECOME CANCER

I will not go thru all the details, but I and several people that are on these boards as well, thought that a breast cyst was just an annoyance not a health risk.

I am proof that breast cysts can, do and/or ARE cancer.

My simple breast cyst, which i found less than 3 months ago, is now stage IIIa cancer. The ultrasound showed nothing more than a cyst, and it was only because my husband was so worried that a biopsy was done. I was diagnosed on Valentine's Day with BREAST CANCER.

Please do not ignore breast cysts, have them biopsied. Don't blame them on coffee or menopause, or stress...it can be a mistake that could cost you your life.

This is a common misconception, but women need to be aware that mammograms are NOT perfect in detecting breast cancer...in my case the ultrasound sent up no red flags either. Only my husband's diligence (or paranoia is what i thought at the time) has enabled me to have a chance.

Do not ignore breast cysts...and please let other women know this information. I never thought I would be in this situation, but maybe if I can help spread this information I could help someone else before it gets as far as mine.

Last edited by Zerberbaby; 02-24-2005 at 09:31 PM.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:20 PM   #2

jazzz29 HB User
Re: Breast Cysts CAN BECOME CANCER

Thank you for the information. I wish you a full recovery, best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2005, 09:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

thanks for the info....so "odd" that i came across this tonight. wonder if God is telling me something?? i have always had breast cysts....got scared the first time i found one...went to dr and was told cysts are nothing but a nuisance...just to avoid caffeine and i will be fine. my breasts are full of small cysts...and my left one feels full at times at the tip and hurts at times....not to the touch...no pain at all when pressing...just full and achy at the tip)---whenever i get this feeling...makes me want to run and have it looked at...mean to make the appt...but just never do.....its that way now....and i got bad news tonight about my cousin....so i am really ready to run to have it checked out.she had breast cancer over a year ago...she got regular mammograms every year.....had just had one a month or so before this was found...didnt detect anything!!! SHE found it herself while doing her self breast exam.....had she not been doing that....would have been 6 months before her next mammogram!!!! They took it out, she had chemo and radiation and was cured.................well.........got the call wednesday night that they thought it had returned...she wanted a second opinion..so she went for one........was told it was BAD and she has less than a year to live. she is in her early 50's. I WILL be making my appt Monday!!!! dont care who i have to beg and cry to..(I am 32--and they arent eager to give mammograms until 36----but will insist on that...as well as whatever else they can do to make sure i am fine!!!!!!)

good luck and may God bless you.

Last edited by ladybug8372; 02-26-2005 at 09:51 PM.

Old 02-27-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
(female)

fawn512 HB User

I know someone who got cysts two yrs back. got them removed (was benign)

Now, after an ultrasound or mamogram (?) there are cysts again! She went to the doctor and he said not to worry(she doesn't have to go thru surgery) coz it's only water. Is that ok?

Old 02-27-2005, 08:52 PM   #5

Zerberbaby HB User
Exclamation Re: Breast Cysts CAN BECOME CANCER

No it is NOT okay...that doctor does not have x-ray eyes. The ONLY way to tell if it is cancer is to have a biopsy done.

Cysts do not show up on mammogram because they are fluid filled and x-ray shows solids. My ultrasound...which was done because the lump could be felt from the outside...showed a fluid filled sac with NO BLOOD SUPPLY...but it was still a tumor and in my case a very aggressive one.

My doctor estimates that the cancer has been growing in my system for about 3 months...the length of time many doctors want you do just "wait and see". In that 3 months (because I started in to the doc within the next few days) the tumor reached a size of over 1 inch, it had infected my lymphnodes and enmeshed the nerves of my arm resulting in the removal of 2 of the 3 primary nerves and the "scraping" of the 3rd (yes, it feels exactly like someone has been scraping a knife across the nerve!).

It is really NEVER acceptable to just "wait and see". My lifetime cancer risk was assessed by the surgeon at .4%...the average woman has an 11% chance of getting breast cancer in her life...My cancer has beaten the odds in all the wrong ways.

Cancer is not a nuisance it can, and unfortunately does, kill. It makes no sense to "wait and see" when a simple biopsy will let you know for sure. Early detection saves lives and allowing a cancer to grow unchecked for 3 months or more just to save a trip to the operating room is a risk no woman should take.

Get in to the doctor, demand that he give you a referral to a good surgeon...preferably someone who does a lot of breast work...and get the biopsy done.

If your doc does not want to give you a referral, call the surgeons yourself. Talk to friends or relatives who have had surgery and pick a good general surgeon and call and make the appointment. You do not have to have a referral from a doctor for the appointment (If you are in an HMO or PPO you may need a referral for the insurance to cover it, but even if you pay the $$ for the office visit it is worth it).

Maybe I am on my soapbox because I have been so bowled over by my diagnosis, but I have done tons of research on this topic since I was diagnosed and the conclusions are all the same....Don't EVER take the chance. Always get the biopsy and know for sure.

Closed Thread