It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

ApathyAnnie HB User
Question Menstrual changes- clots? mucus? no nocturnal bleeding?

Warning: This may be a more graphic description of menstruation than some people might want. If you have a problem with this don't read on. Can anyone help me understand what this is and if it's normal? Okay, I've always had some clots in my period, but I know that's normal. However, I ended up getting sick a few years ago and it messed my period up during the time that I was sick. It did this by causing spotting, late period, and MAJOR clotting. I am talking large clots that felt solid (most clots feel more soft and therefore more like liquid) and that sometimes seemed to require force from my kegel muscles to push out. After I got over my illness the huge clots dissapeared and my period pretty much went back to normal. This was a couple years ago. Lately....as in the last 2 or 3 few months....I have been concerned that I am clotting more. However, these clots aren't hard like the ones I had when I was sick. They are still soft and feel liquidy like my regular clots...only they are larger. Actually it seems that like during a certain point in my period, I seem to almost clot constantly. I'll go to the bathroom and clots will just slowly pour/drop out of me. There aren't many drops of liquid. Just this thick string of bloody stuff slowly dropping from me and then finally breaking off and landing in the toilet. Then more of the same. Honestly, though I'm not sure they're clots exactly. You see, after observing this for awhile I noted they don't exactly look like my clots normally do and I'm not just talking size. Okay, you know how when you are ovulating, your vaginal discharge becomes thicker and stretchier? Okay, well it's almost like what is coming out during my periods lately isn't so much like a clot as bloody ovulation discharge. I mean it's like the type of discharge I have when ovulating, only coated in blood and it seems like my periods lately have been consisting a large part of nothing but bloody mucusy stuff draining from me. I'm not sure if I'm ovulating during my period lately or if these are clots. I was talking to a friend today and mentioned being on my period and we got to talking and she described having the same experience I have been having lately. Oddly enough, she says she has had this happen only during her last couple periods. I just found that a weird coincidence since it sounds like the exact same thing is going on with us and mine has done this only the last 2 or 3 periods before this one and like she said, she has only been experiencing this the last couple times herself. I haven't experienced it yet during this period, but it isn't the end of day 1 yet so I don't know what will happen. Any clues as to what this is and if it's normal? Thanks. Oh and one more thing. I always used to bleed more at night during my period, which I assume is normal since hey you are using the same pad or tampon the whole time you are asleep which I usually sleep about 8 hours straight. I mean obviously you are going to bleed more at night. Hey, that's why they make overnight absorbency pads. But here's the thing- Now, while there are still times where I do bleed worse at night, a lot of times I don't even bleed at all during the night. Do you think it has to do with the consistancy of my blood changing? This has been going on since awhile before I got sick a couple years ago....so I'm not sure it's connected. Anyways, thanks for the info!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Re: Menstrual changes- clots? mucus? no nocturnal bleeding?

I think it would be best if you saw an ob/gyn to answer your concerns and be examined. Clots have been the norm for me for a day or so during my period, but I know that I have an enlarged uterus with fibroids and my doctor is aware of this.

If you are on the young side, I'd definitely go and see a doctor. Being as I'm 49 and perimenopausal, I expect this sort of thing.

As far as the nightime thing...maybe just laying down all night you aren't moving around much and that's why. I'm like that pretty much until I stand up and then...gush!

Seeing your doctor is your best bet to get the right answers you're looking for. Good luck!

Closed Thread