It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #1

fromos5 HB User
Red face "missing" ovary, anyone?

Has anyone ever had docs unable to find an ovary through exam and then it can't be found on an ultrasound either?!

I have suspected endometriosis and have been on the pill for about 6 years. A couple of years ago during a routine pelvic exam a doc commented that she couldn't find my left ovary. The next year a new doc said she couldn't really feel my left one, but that my right one felt enlarged. This year yet another doc (it's a clinic... I get a new doc every year!) agreed and wanted an ultrasound (regular & transvaginal) to check on my right (supposedly enlarged) ovary.

Had the ultrasound today. My first pelvic imaging exam ever. Right ovary looks totally normal, not enlarged at all, no cysts, no masses. There is a massively gigantic fibroid completely blocking their view of my uterus (how nice) and THEY COULD NOT FIND MY LEFT OVARY! They tried and tried, but... nothing seemingly there.

Now I know that sometimes due to intestines and such an ovary can be "hidden" on a certain day, but to have no one feel it or see it for several years??? (I'm thinking... do I have autoimmune oophoritis? did it lose it's blood supply somehow and shrivel? did I EVER have a left ovary?) This feels like the time I saw a dentist for the first time in 10 years and she said, "Oh, so I see you've had your wisdom teeth out". And I hadn't. I just don't have any! At all! (Which is nice, in the case of wisdom teeth, LOL, but maybe not ovaries!)

Anyone???

Thanks,

Hashi 16+ years / Partial Thyroidectomy 1989
Type 1 Diabetes (autoimmune, insulin-dep.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
(female)

liz411 HB User
Re: "missing" ovary, anyone?

Thank God I'm not the only one. I just came from the Doc today and I too am missing my left ovary. I have three kids, the last one born just about 3 years ago and my doctors have always said I had "ovary problems" but this is the first doc that actually looked inside (internal ultrasound) and saw that the ovary is actually gone. Another weird thing is that I too was born with no wisdom teeth. Wonder if this is a disorder? I don't know if I was born without the left ovary, but I have been checked for "ovary problems" since the age of 11 and like I said this is the first anyone said that it was "gone". Have you learned anything new since your post? My doc said he was going to read up on it and tell me more about how the ovary would have "disappeared" at my next appointment in a month. Thanks for your post, I jumped on the internet as soon as I got home and started looking for answers and your post was one of the first things that I saw. Makes me feel I'm not alone Let me know what you know and I will do the same.

Liz

Old 03-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

fromos5,

I get ovarian cysts, and on two seperate occations I had the Doctors tell me I didnt have a left ovary. I had had a hysterectomy 10 years ago but I KNEW they left my ovaries, I had the records. They had done two internal ultra sounds and they couldnt find my left ovary. Said that sometimes when there is a problem with one ovary(my right ovary had 4 cysts on it) the other will shrink up. Well 6 months later in another inturnal ultra sound, the cysts on my right ovary had shrunk down, and she went looking for my left ovary again, and low an behold there it was, with 2 CYSTS on it. So apparently they can play games with you sometimes, and go in hiding if there are other issues going on. Maybe the large fibroid had something to do with it not being there, or detectable, possible it did shrink up, and once the fibroid issue is taken care of it will come back? Just guessing of course.

Wish you the best, take care,
and God bless,
Annette

Old 04-15-2008, 03:12 AM   #4
(female)

imahorsefan2 HB User

Hi everyone, new here. My daughter aged 26 just had a laparoscopy yesterday and the doctor could not find her left ovary either. What's up with the missing left ovaries!! She has had two other surgeries for pain and endometriosis has not been found, but she gets adhesions which stick things together. The last surgery the doctor said her bowel had twisted and turned necrotic and was stuck to the back of her uterus and he removed it, so now I'm wondering if that was the ovary, but you think he'd know that, right???? This is a new doc and he said he was going to look into it, so who knows.

Thanks for listening,
Cathy

Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Funny, my left one was a disappearing/reappearing one. I had a large 10cm cyst and the tube removed in 1990. In 1995 I had another cyst and rubber bands of adhesions with the ovary removed. Ultrasounds over the years showed no ovary. In 2006 they insisted there was a left ovary and it was the same size as the right ovary. They all thought I was nuts when I told them it was taken out. They had the head of Radiology read the tape who insisted it was an Ovary. Now in Feb. 2008 had another ultrasound. Low and behold no left Ovary. They now see something on the uterus. They called it Adenymosis (sp?). Don't have any of the symptoms so I think they are wrong. So for two years there I thought I had a reappearing left ovary. I know they don't grow back. It was the left one too. But, I had my wisdom teeth. They had to come out though.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
(female)

ajschriver HB User

Add one more to the group of missing left ovaries. I just had my second child (third pregnancy) on April 9, 2008 via c-section. I also had requested a tubal ligation be performed since my doc was going to be in there anyway. My husband and I consider our family now complete with a 5yr old boy and now a baby girl. Anyway, the doc could not find my left ovary during the tubal. No left tube either. He did say he had heard of this condition and often times the patient also had no left kidney. I have my post partum appointment next week, when I intend to question my doc further on this. Obviously, it hasn't affected my fertility, and if I am missing a left kidney, I've shown no symptoms of kidney problems. With the exception of a couple of instances of my hormones getting out of whack (being put on birth control pills "reset" my system each time) and a failed first pregnancy, I've had no issues with my ovaries. I'm 35, and if I had not requested the tubal, I still wouldn't have known the left ovary was missing.

I wonder if I can get a half-off discount for the tubal. They only had to cut one! LOL

Julie Schriver

Old 05-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

ajschriver,

If you truley feel your family IS complete as you stated, to be on the safe side, I would question the Doctor in your follow-up appt. about the fact they couldnt find your ovary. See if they could do a inturnal ultrasound to MAKE SURE the ovary hasnt re-appeared. If it were me, I would stay on the pill until you are satisfied that there really isnt a left ovary. They could also do a regular ultra sound to check your kidneys also.

As you can see by others posting including MYSELF, that they CAN shrink up and go in "hiding", and later to show up plain as day. I DO find it VERY interesting that it seems to be the LEFT ovary on all of us. It must mean something, or a very common entity that hasnt been recognized in the past.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your family and your new beautiful addition..CONGRATS!

Take care,
and GOd bless.
Annette

Old 05-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
(female)

liz411 HB User

The kidney thing is news to me. I actually have an appointment for tomorrow and I'm going to ask my doc about it. How about your wisdow teeth? Do you have them are are those missing too like mine. I too would like to know why it seems to always be the left. I do feel better knowing there are others that have the same thing happening to them though. At first I was really freaked out and felt weird, now I don't feel so alone.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #9
(female)

jenackim HB User

Add one more to the list of missing left ovary. What is this? It's very strange. My left ovary has been hurting pretty bad. I went to the ER a month ago because it got so bad, and they couldn't find it. I told them beforehand they wouldn't be able to because it's happened in the past and transvaginal ultrasound are so painful I would rather give birth naturally then go through another. But they did one anyway and 20 minutes later, no left ovary. I had a hysterectomy almost 4 years ago, but still have endometriosis, and have had 2 more surgeries since the hyst. to remove endo and cysts on ovaries. I just allumed that it was being pulled out of position by adhesions, scar tissue. What else could it be?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
(female)

ajschriver HB User

I followed up with my doc at my postpartum. I've talked to several of them now (they're all in the same group), and none of them seemed to think it was a big deal. I asked about the possibility of a disease that would make an ovary deteriorate, and I was told it was probably not the case. I just wasn't born with one. I hope the thing doesn't reappear. I can't take the pill. Makes me crazy. We've used condoms for birth control. Was looking forward to not having to use those anymore, but now I'm a little nervous about going completely au naturel, so to speak. I love my kids, but I HATE being pregnant. I know, I know. I should feel blessed to be able to have kids when so many women can't. I do feel blessed, but I am not one of those women who glow during pregnancy. I'm either throwing my guts up or battling severe heartburn. The only time during pregnancy I feel halfway decent is weeks 21 thru 26. Not so big that I'm waddling and I'm usually over the sickness by then. After that, the severe heartburn and fatigue set in. My daughter was 9lb 14.6oz so I was completely miserable toward the end. Ok, I'll quite whining now.

Anyway, didn't remember to ask about the kidney. But I do remember I only have 3 wisdom teeth. Can't remember which one is missing, top, bottom, right, or left. I haven't had any removed. The 3 I have never came in, and my dentist told me they probably never will, they're buried so deep in the gum.

Julie Schriver

Closed Thread