It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 08:24 PM   #1

bird23 HB User
gyn. exam

I am 24 years old and I am going for my first gyn. exam next week. I am kind of afraid. I was hoping maybe somebody could help me out by telling what to expect. I have heard some horror stories. I am hoping you will be honest and tell me what will happen,does it hurt,will I have to get a rectal exam, and anything else that you can tell me. You can also email me [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ] Thankyou for your help, bird23

Last edited by moderator2; 03-17-2005 at 06:04 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 03-16-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User
Re: gyn. exam

They'll ask you a bunch of questions (Are you sexually active, have you been abused, etc)

Do a urine/blood test

Breast exam (they just feel for lumps)

Pelvic exam...if your a virgin be sure to let them know....they'll use a smaller instrument. they use that take a quick peek/swab of your cervix....remove it, insert a finger and press down on your abdomen...(Feeling for abnormalities)...SOME do an rectal, and all it is...is their getting a feel of the uterus from the other side.

If it ever hurts let them know....they'll do what they can to ease that. Should be uncomfy but not painful!

Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 05:39 AM   #3

SpiritBound HB User

When I went to the gyno, the doctor didn't insert a finger with me.

She just did a swab test.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

My exams have always been like Dakota described. I have never had them due a rectal exam. I think that is something that each doctor is different about. when they do the pap they swab and then they do the insert a finger and push down on your abdomen. I would think that would be werid if they didn't do that exam. I have always had that done. Every doctor i have had did that part. They do it to check for anything abnormal. Make sure nothing is going wrong.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:45 AM   #5

SpiritBound HB User

Makes me wonder if I should go to another doctor? Maybe she did that and I don't remember, but I really don't think she did.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I always wear socks- just keeps my feet warm. They usually use platic speculums now and if not be sure they warm the metal one. Tell them this is your first pap. What they are doing is just opening the vaginal canal wide enough to check for any abnormal lesions inside and to swab the tip of the cervix. It takes just 1 mins. Remember to breathe in throught the nose and out the mouth - helps to relax you. They should also palpate your ovaries to check for cysts and tenderness. They usually do this with one finger inside your vaginal canal and press on your abdomen- doesn't hurt. None of this is painful- so don't worry. Congradulations on getting this done and remember to get a yearly check-up. It is so imp. for someone your age.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #7
(female)

ladivapr00 HB User

First time i went to a gyno i was virgin and he used a special speculum for virgins. He did me a rectal instead of bimanual so he did not inserted fingers in my vagina.

bird23 - are you still virgin or have been sexually active long time ago? I just want to make the note to the readers if you become sexually active you HAVE TO go to a gyn within months for a checkup and pap test. This is very important as it is to check for HPV virus that so many people have. (60-80% of all sexually active) that can cause cervical cancer if left untreated.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:01 PM   #8
(female)

lil_miss_bad HB User

hey, I too am going for my first gyno exam next week. I'm 23, and I'm having some abnormalities with my cycles, and my doctor was concerned enough to refer me to an OB/GYN (where I'm from it's usually just your family doctor that usually does pelvic/pap tests), so I've got that added worry! lol.

Are you going to a male or female gyno? I didn't have a choice and was referred to a male doc. I really wish I could have gone to a female gyn, but, I'm sure everything will be fine!

Hope it isn't to horrible for you (or for me either!)!

Good luck,
LMB

Old 03-18-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

As listed above.

You will be asked several questions, be weighted, blood pressure all that stuff.

You change, the doc comes in and pulls out the stirrups, the metal thing they use doesnt hurt it can be cold (my gyno runs warm water over it first) then she does a swab, you hardly feel a thing. My doctor also puts one of her fingers up there and pushs down on my abdominal area to make sure everything feels alright.

And she also does a breast exam on me (both of course) only lasts a few minutes and your good for 365days =)

Closed Thread