It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 10:14 AM   #1
(female)

scarednow HB User
Brown Vaginal Discharge - Different Odor - Please Help

First I want to apologize for the graphic nature of my questions and symptoms. This is going to be disgusting, but I cannot find answers anywhere online and I'm scared to death. I have a gyne appointment, but it is two weeks away and I'm a nervous wreck.

If anyone can relate to my symptoms and tell me what I should be concerned about, please contact me.

Just to give you a short history, my last regular menstrual period was over two months ago, but I am menstuating again now, so I basically skipped one period, which is not at all normal for me. I am 41 years old and I have given birth only once naturally and I have had one cessarian section birth. I had my two children 21 and 20 years ago. I tried to conceive again about 5 years later but without success. Fertility testing showed I had blocked tubes caused by PID. We left it go at that and never had any more children. Last February (2004) I was admitted to the hospital with severe pelvic pain. I was diagnosed with PID again, but the doctor could not find any source for it. My STD screening was negative. I was treated with antibiotics and sent home after a couple days. I have not had any more complications until February of this year (last month). Around the time I should have been having a period, I instead had a brownish color discharge for a couple of days. Now this is where it gets graphic, so please excuse me for this. The discharge was extremely foul smelling, but it was unlike any "normal" foul smelling vaginal discharge described in my medical books and online. It didn't smell fishy like an STD or sweet like a yeast infection. It actually smelled like feces. That's the only way I can describe it. It smelled like bowel movements but it was coming out of my vagina. It was watery and brown in color. At the time, I happened to be taking Zithromax for an upper respiratory infection, so this discharge did not last more than a couple of days. (I don't know whether one had anything to do with the other or not). I didn't have any more discharge like this again until my husband and I had sex. The discharge started almost immediately after we started to have sex and got worse as we went on. It seemed to subside again after a couple of days and didn't come back again until last week. It gets worse every time my husband and I engage in sexual intercourse, but now it's here all the time whether we're together or not. The smell is so strong that I can smell it even when I'm fully dressed. This is most embarrassing and I don't want to go anywhere, but more than that, I'm concerned about what this could be.

I also have stress incontenence, which also started around January of this year. I leak when I sneeze, cough or laugh. I do feel some tenderness in my pelvic area, but it's not pain. I wouldn't even say it's as bad as light menstrual cramping. I do not want to douche because I have heard that this could prevent my doctor from correctly diagnosing me.

If anyone can tell me what this sounds like to them, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. I would go to the emergency room but if this is found not to be an emergency, I'll be stuck with the bill. Without any pain, I don't know if I can justify an emergency room visit to my health insurance carrier. On the same token, I'm not sleeping and I'm driving myself crazy waiting for that doctor appointment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 10:51 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Ivana HB User
Re: Brown Vaginal Discharge - Different Odor - Please Help

I looked around to see what I could find but could not find anything with your exact symptoms. Have you had a Pap lately? Sometimes foul smelling discharge is a sign of cervical dysplasia (a precancerous condition). Maybe a ThinPrep Pap would be a good idea. Sorry i couldn't directly answer your question. Hope it helps though.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

hello scarednow, i am so sorry for your worries, i have had situations where i wasn't sure either what was going on and did not want to ask anyone because i was embarrased. fortunatly i have a couple of girlfriends to talk to that i am not embarrased anymore because they have there own womenly things going on too. you would be suprised. lol
anyway i have had brownish discharge before and i found out that it was older blood that has finally come out. the kind that comes out at the end of your period. maybe you are spotting. for now and maybe you are already doing it put wear a pad or panty liner that has odor lock that is scented. i know how you feel because if you can smell it everyone could probably smell it right?
maybe when you and you husband have intercourse it is causeing what could be the older blood to come out.
of course i am not positivly shure that this is what is going on but maybe someone will have more advice.
i hope that you are able to find out what it could be so your mind could be at ease.
let me know what you find out. and goodluck.

robin(tiana75)

Old 03-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
(female)

scarednow HB User

Thank you for your quick reply. I am overdue for my pap by a few months. I was in between insurance carriers and I was waiting for confirmation that my new insurance was in tact before seeing any doctors. What is ThinPrep Pap? I have never heard of it before. Is this something I can do at home? You have been a great help, as I was hoping it sounded more like cervical dysplasia to others rather than cancer. I narrowed it down to about 5 possibilities, and of all the possibilities, c.d. is the one I'm hoping for as it seems to be most easily treated and not life-threatening. Sometimes just knowing someone else is concerned enough to answer is a huge help. Thank you!

Old 03-21-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
(female)

scarednow HB User

Yes Robin, this is very embarrassing to me. I am so glad that I have had people like you who were willing to even reply to this. I never heard of the condition you are speaking of but I sure am glad that it exists! It would be such a blessing to me if that's all that this is, and I could certainly live with it if I needed to. How long did it last when it happened to you? Did it ever stop? I am using pads rather than tampons because I'm so afraid it's a bacterial infection and I don't want to risk Toxic Shock Syndrome. I'm changing my pads every couple of hours and washing often just to keep bacteria away. I don't have a lot of this discharge unless my husband and I are having relations, but I've now had this every day since last Wednesday.

I posted this message knowing that someone who has had some type of cancer might tell me that this was one of their symptoms before they were diagnosed. While I still want to hear from anyone who thinks I should be seen by a doctor sooner than my appointment (two weeks from now), I am also relieved that so far I haven't heard from anyone who feels this could be some type of cancer. When I look up cervical, ovarian, uterine and bladder cancers, none of them seem to cover all the symptoms I'm experiencing. The closest one is Cervical Cancer. It mentions a fowl smelling vaginal discharge but I can't find anything on it that describes this discharge like mine.

Thank you for your kindness and for your quick reply. I will let you know what I find out in two weeks (or sooner if I end up going to my local Urgent Care facility).

Old 03-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #6

tape7 HB User

Hi scarednow: Years ago my mother said she started having a discharge that smelled like something had crawled up inside of her and died. She went in and found out it was a cyst (I think on or in the uterus). It had started rotting. She went ahead and had a hysterectomy because she was having some other problems anyway. She said she just never really felt good while she had this cyst.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:54 AM   #7
(female)

scarednow HB User

Hi Tape7,
Thank you for your reply. I have had ovarian cysts on three occasions in the past. My first one was at age 15. Each time they caused me enough pain to go to the hospital. I am not having any pain right now, but I know that many women have cysts that do not cause pain. I guess it's when the cysts twist that they cause pain that makes a person double over in pain. I can see how a rotting cyst would put off an odor such as the one I am experiencing. Like I mentioned in my original post, this odor is not a normal vaginal odor at all. All women can have a fishy smelling discharge from bacteria whether they are sexually active or not. This odor is much stronger and smells like fecal matter. So far I haven't received any replies telling me to get urgent care, so I guess I will wait for my appointment in two weeks. Thank you for your input. I hope this turns out to be either what your mother had or what one of the other women replied with because they are all things I could definitely live with considering the alternatives. Thank you and God Bless.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:45 PM   #8
(female)

jobu92 HB User

Hi Scarednow,
I would definately get a PAP as soon as possible, since it can rule out many possibilities, and you are overdue. Brown discharge can be a sign of abnormal cells on the lining of the cervix, which a PAP can identify. Hope this helps, j.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
(female)

MANDY77 HB User

I can't help you out with your question, but it seems a little odd that they'd make you wait that long before coming in. If I was you i'd call them back an see if there was any ways you could get in sooner.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:03 PM   #10
(female)

danicanni HB User

Any chance it could be bacterial vaginosis? I had it once and the discharge was very similar to what you're describing.

Old 03-25-2005, 11:00 AM   #11
(female)

dragongirl HB User

You need to have a pap i had the same thing and i found out i had cervical cancer at 23 i had a biopsy done and a hys done this sounds ike the same thing i had do get it checked out.

Old 03-26-2005, 02:53 PM   #12
(female)

nbd9127 HB User

I just had to reply to this....I could have posted this exact post last weekend! Only for me the odor alternated between fecal & dead fish.

Anyways, I read on here about tampons being lost in the vagina and thought "NO WAY!" so I went to the bathroom and did a check manually...I felt nothing as luck would have it my PAP appt was scheduled for last Thursday and it turns out I DID have a part of a old tampon lost in there. She found it after she inserted the spectulm. I know its gross and the only person who knows is my husband. Looking back I had just changed to a cheap walmart brand and sometimes I really had to tug to remove them. So far it seems I'm cured. My doctor said I'm lucky not to have gotten toxic shock. I'm a 38 year old woman that has been using these things a LONG time but I think I may become a pad only gal!

I really hope you get to the bottom of this soon...I know what you mean about feeling embarrassed! Sam

Old 03-26-2005, 02:55 PM   #13
(female)

nbd9127 HB User

I just had to reply to this....I could have posted this exact post last weekend! Only for me the odor alternated between fecal & dead fish.

Anyways, I read on here about tampons being lost in the vagina and thought "NO WAY!" so I went to the bathroom and did a check manually...I felt nothing. As luck would have it my PAP appt was scheduled for last Thursday and it turns out I DID have a part of a old tampon lost in there. She found it after she inserted the spectulm. I know its gross and the only person who knows is my husband. Looking back I had just changed to a cheap walmart brand and sometimes I really had to tug to remove them. So far it seems I'm cured. My doctor said I'm lucky not to have gotten toxic shock. I'm a 38 year old woman that has been using these things a LONG time but I think I may become a pad only gal!

I really hope you get to the bottom of this soon...I know what you mean about feeling embarrassed! Sam

Old 03-26-2005, 03:16 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

There is the possibility of a tunnel having been formed between the bowel and the vagina. I have seen this a number of times and it is exactly feces that IS coming out.

Doesn't mean I'm saying this IS what you have, but it is certainly a possibility.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:50 AM   #15
(female)

KateVaughn HB User

Dear Scared,

I did a search for my symptoms this morning and found this board. I HAD THE EXACT symptoms you posted. I strongly suspect you do have an old tampon there. After reading the post earlier about this, I thought, "no way.." but I decided to give it a thorough search to rule out the possibility. Sure enough, I found a tampon, in a weird place, behind the pelvic bone. My fabulous husband played doctor and removed it..a brave man for it a a was foul task indeed. I am going to schedule a gyno to make sure there are no infections, etc. But dang, I feel 10 lbs lighter....YUCK. Thanks to all who posted, without this info, I would not have known.

Closed Thread