It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 06:01 AM   #1
(female)

islandgirl HB User
Question about Fibroids.

In reading some of the posts here, I've noticed quite a lot of women mentioning they have fibroids. I also have one about 2 cm which I think is rather small and a thickened uterine lining. However, I get mid-cycle spotting / bleeding and horrible cramps during my period (abdominal, pelvic, back, and thigh). Is this expected with fibroids. Are most of you relatively symtom free with your fibroids. Can you please share your experiences with me because I'm really starting to freak thinking I may have something more than fibroids. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User
Re: Question about Fibroids.

I have had heavy long periods because of fibroids but without cramps...until I started taking BC pills. I only took them three weeks because they made me so irritable and emotional. I have now been bleeding more than five weeks (the same month I was on the pills)! A couple weeks ago, I also started having cramps and sometimes the pain goes into my right leg. It's extremely annoying. I see the doctor in a week. I'm at my wit's end.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

stacydl HB User

Islandgirl,
I had one fibroid on the inside of the uterine cavity (submucosal) that caused extremely painful periods and extremely heavy bleeding filled with enormous clots. I was very anemic from all that bleeding. I also had periods that would linger on with spotting for up to 12 days or so. All symptoms of that fibroid. I had it removed and I felt so much better after. Still get normal cramps and tend to be a heavy bleeder, but no more huge hemorraging clot problems and no more cramps so bad that they made me throw up (something I went through for years). Oh and by the end, I was having back pain too. I was told that because the fibroid was on the inside, my uterus couldn't contract to stop bleeding. It tried so hard causing violent cramps and since it couldn't I would just keep bleeding extremely heavily. Like trying to close your fist around a baseball.
Do you know if your fibroid is submucosal? I have an intramural (in the wall) one now that doesn't bother me really, but it's only a few cm big.
Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone and those symptoms can all be from the fibroid. If they're bothering you to the point where they interfere with your life, look into having them removed. My surgery was a life saver!
Stacy

Old 04-08-2005, 07:13 AM   #4
(female)

islandgirl HB User

Thanks for your responses. The sonogram reading didn't say if it was intramural or not. I'l find out. Again, many thanks.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Quick question for those with them:
I know I have 3 small ones that I was told I shouldn't notice except for the heavy periods that come every 21 days.
Well I have now started a second period this month - 14 days from the start of one to the other with lots of spotting in between (during BMs and after sex). So I did see the gyn yesterday afternoon and when she did the bimanual check I about came off the table when she touched something on my right side. It is STILL hurting and I am bleeding heavier. I called and spoke with the nurse who says the GYN now wants me in for an ultrasound on Monday cause of the pain.
Could this have been a fibroid she touched or was it possibly my ovary?

Old 04-07-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
(female)

Happy Days HB User

I had a large fibroid embedded in my uterine wall. My gynecologist performed an abdominal hysterectomy. Once I was opened, the doctor found severe endometriosis that had spread to parts of my bladder. She told me she was surprised I had not been in more pain.

Endometriosis is flat and was not picked up on the internal ultrasound. It may be possible that you also have endometriosis. I too had bad cramping, prolonged heavy menstrual cycles, and a lot of clots. I could barely walk due to the shooting pains in my lower back and legs.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #7
(female)

Happy Days HB User

I had a large fibroid embedded in my uterine wall. My gynecologist performed an abdominal hysterectomy. Once I was opened, the doctor found severe endometriosis that had spread to parts of my bladder. She told me she was surprised I had not been in more pain.

Endometriosis is flat and was not picked up on the internal ultrasound. It may be possible that you also have endometriosis. I too had bad cramping, prolonged heavy menstrual cycles, and a lot of clots. I could barely walk due to the shooting pains in my lower back and legs.

Last edited by Happy Days; 04-07-2006 at 09:45 PM.

Old 04-09-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User
Update about Fibroids.

Hi! Posted here last year regarding my 3 small fibroids on u/s last July 2005. Well I can tell you that by December 2005, the doctor told me that "I had stuff growing everywhere".
I am now 6 weeks post-hysterectomy. He had to do an abdominal incision because my uterus had gotten so enlarged that doing it vaginally was out of the question. He told me in the room afterwards that he was shocked that I had not been in more pain. He told me that it was like being 3-4 months pregnant with sextuplets. Yep - six had grown in 6 months time. And let me tell you that he could NOT tell just from the regular bi-manual or the u/s results either.
He also told me I had endo on one ovary (which was lasered off) and he suspects adenomyosis. I won't get the full details including the pathology report until Wed (my 7 week pos-op appt).
It has not been the easiest recovery, but I have already missed two periods and couldn't feel more blessed. I have 2 beautiful children, I am 38 yr old, and I can now wear white this summer without worrying or having to plan a vacation!!!!
Wishing you all the best! Just remember (something I didn't know) - it is NOT normal to have severe cramps or bleed real heavy!!! Get it checked out.

Last edited by hrtofluv; 04-09-2006 at 05:39 PM. Reason: addition

Closed Thread