It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2005, 05:53 PM   #1

Lime22 HB User
Arrow Abnormal Pap Smear-Colposcopy

I had a pap smear a couple of weeks ago and my doctor has contacted me and told me I need to have a colposcopy. Have any of you ever had to get this done before? I am only 22. I'm kind of scared....If any of you have had this happen could you please tell me something, anything at all is appriciated. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
Re: Abnormal Pap Smear-Colposcopy

i had one done last year. it really isnt that big of a deal. they just go in and "clip" some if the cervical tissue to send off for evaluation. my pap had come back abnormal, showing cervical dysplasia...so thats why i had the colposcopy done...it came back fine. i went back in for my 6 month pap check up---again...it came back abnormal...no cervical dysplasia, but instead, atypical cells, which they said was really nothing to worry about, that it could be something as simple as a small infection...so have to go back in the next couple of weeks for my other 6 month check up----am praying that its fine this time! i dont like going once a year...much less 2 times a year...but I am going to do whatever they tell me, to make sure that I am on top of things. relax--the colposcopy is similar to a pap smear..just a tad bit more uncomfortable, but nothing to make you cry or scream with pain. good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #3

Lime22 HB User

Thanks for your reply ladybug8372, I hope that everything ends up being okay with you. I guess my biggest worry that I have is that whatever it is that is abnormal will make it so that I can't have kids someday. I have never had an abnormal pap before so I just hope its not anything serious. Is it very common for women to have abnormal pap smears and it not be anything serious? DO the 'abnoralties' typically ever cause a woman not to be able to have babies?

Last edited by Lime22; 04-16-2005 at 01:29 PM.

Old 04-16-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

Lime22....there are many reasons for the cause of abnormal pap smears...from something serious...to nothing to worry about. It could be that it was done too close after your period, it could be that you had sex too close to having the pap done....there are several explanations (do a search on abnormal paps and it will list the many reasons as to why it can be abnormal)...dont do as i done and assume the worst.....it was horrifying to keep thinking i had cancer...and the worst part was that they couldnt set up the colposcopy for a month...so i had to sit and wait....and worry...for a month..just to find out that everything was fine.

as far as worrying about not being able to have kids....dont get ahead of yourself. i know thats easier said than done!! as i said, the abnormal pap can be due to many reasons......from minor things to serious things....you are not going to know if your ability to have kids will be affected until the results of the colposcopy are in. I am almost 33 years old....I have had pap smears every year faithfully up until about 7 years ago...then I went 2 years without one...all was fine....so I went 4 years without one...wham! thats when it came back abnormal...never again will I let it go. that scared me to know that I foolishly waited so long and could have had cancer and not known, because I was too embarrassed to go in for a pap.

One thing to remember, abnormal paps happen all the time---but most of the time it is a false alarm. so TRY not to let it scare you. I know its hard.....but try to forget about it until the test results come back. I worried myself so bad over having an abnormal pap...that I skipped my period...went almost 2 months without one...had to be put on Provera to make me start. Good luck!!

Old 04-16-2005, 10:22 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ladivapr02 HB User

Abnormal paps are for the most part caused by the HPV virus. This is a virus that is sexually transmited and it's present in 60-80% of sexually active population. If you were diagnosed with the virus, most probable that is, your doctor will tell you about it when you go in for the colposcopy. HPV has many strands; the wart causings ones and the ones that cause cervical dysplasia/cancer. Some strands are more agressive than others. It's really not something to be stressed about but it has to be monitored and treated. I suggest you to check the Sexually Transmited Disease board and the cervical cancer board both have many threads on the topic of HPV and its treatment. Basically at the colpo the doctor will just see your cevix through a big microscope to check for abnormalities. I too was diagnosed with mild cervical dysplasia and the doctor did not even had to take biopsy samples at my colpo. I was just instructed to go again in 6 months. Hope everything goes well at your colpos and feel free to ask. You are not alone

Last edited by ladivapr02; 04-16-2005 at 10:27 PM.

Closed Thread