It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2005, 10:22 PM   #1

pittcollegekid HB User
Exclamation lichen sclerosis

some brilliant person on here has hopefully solved my problem. Now i need to know more about it. (lichen sclerosis) can anyone tell me anything? I have vaginal itching that gets worst at night which I have heard is a major symptom of this?

Old 11-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #2
(female)

dorothys HB User
Re: lichen sclerosis

I was just diagnosed with vulvar lichen sclerosis yesterday. I have had itching for literally years and couldn't figure out what was wrong. I knew it wasn't a yeast infection so I just kept ignoring it, thinking I was just being whiney. Well over the last several months the itching became so severe that I was having trouble sleeping and concentrating during the day so I finally broke down and made an appointment. My doctor prescribed some steroid ointment and I have to go back in 4 weeks to be rechecked. She said that if it has not gotten significantly better they will have to do some sort of biopsy or test to see if it is precancerous. She also said to avoid anything that might irritate the skin such as scented soaps, toilet paper, etc. Also, apparently it never goes away totally. All you can do is manage it with medication. Wonderful, huh? So far I haven't noticed any improvement, but I figure I'll give it a few more days before I start to panic.

I hope this has helped. Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns and I'll try to help.

Dorothy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2006, 09:51 AM   #3
(female)

amrbar HB User
Re: lichen sclerosis

I was also diagnosed (with a biopsy) with Lichen Sclerosis. Not a fun thing, and like one post said.... it never goes away. You have it for life. But, the flare ups can be controled. Some unlucky people have it so bad that they have to have reconstructive surgery! Not trying to scare you... just trying to say "you might be a lucky one that can control the flare ups and be okay". Look it up in a search engine such as google. Just try to remember, not everything you read online is truth...so check to see if the site is a medical site or not. Here are a few sites.. you might have to copy and paste the links..
Even young women can get it:
http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/lichen.html
http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/lichen/lichen.htm

Here is a page from the University of Michigan.... a reliable source:
http://www.pathology.med.umich.edu/gynonc/asccp/b9_inflam/lichen_sclerosus.htm

University of Iowa:
http://obgyn.uihc.uiowa.edu/patinfo/Vulvar/lichensclerosis.htm

Old 09-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
(female)

jorobson85 HB User
Exclamation Re: lichen sclerosis

I have a question - I don't know who reads these specific threads. I am 23 and have been itching for 3 years now. I was shocked to find out that my girlfriends in college didn't scratch themselves during the night in their sleep. My previous gynos told me it was probably yeast and suggested the 7 day creams - none of which did anything so I figured I was just weird. Anyway, now they are saying probably Lychin Sclerosis. I had a biopsy yesterday and I know it's silly but now I am reading more and more on all kinds of cancer and vulvectomies and am working myself into a frenzy. I guess my questions are 1) How can I make the swelling go down from the biopsy because it really hurts and 2) How long until I can run and bike (because I am a workout nut) and 3) if the Gyno thinks it's LS, what are the chances it might be cancer?

Thank you - sorry for the long post - just need someone.

Closed Thread