It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 09:13 PM   #1
(female)

midwestmom HB User
when i cough, sometimes i pee :(

Right now I have a bad cold and I'm having coughing fits. Really hard coughs because I've had bronchitits. When I cough really hard, I pee myself
This is driving me nuts. Is this because I've had two kids? Do I need to do kegels? Or is something wrong with my actual bladder? I'm 32 and I've had two kids but I don't think I should be having this problems. I remember several years ago I got on a trampoline and couldn't jump on it because I would pee. And that was after only one baby. Anyone else?

Old 04-25-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
(female)

euglena HB User
Re: when i cough, sometimes i pee :(

You are not alone.

I am significantly younger than you, and do kegels all the time.

When I had a really bad case of a viral throat infection I caughed like there was no tomorrow, and 2 weeks into the symptoms my body would just relax the bladder muscle everytime I tensed up to caugh really hard.

It went away now.

This is probably a weird thing to say - but I have taken Oil of Oregano and it has kept any infections away for over 6 months (I get sick very easily)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 05:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

Most likely there is nothing wrong with your bladder; it's just the muscles are weakend from pregnancy. I noticed it for the first time when I was about 35 during an aerobics class; and after two kids also. Plus, if something goes down the wrong pipe and I get coughing really bad it happens too.

Kegals should help, I do them when I think of it. There is surgery for it, but I think it's more or less for the elderly who can't control it any time of day or activity. I'd try the kegals and keeping your bladder empty as much as possible.

Old 04-26-2005, 06:45 AM   #4
(female)

tictac HB User

I think it's something that just happens after having children, but yes, you should be doing Kegels to help prevent it. I'm 32 with 2 kids and it occasionally happens to me too, but usually only when I'm on that darn trampoline in the backyard, LOL. I usually stay off of for that reason alone. But the other moms I know that have jumped on it report the exact same thing happening, so you are not alone! We need to just do Kegels and stay off trampolines.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
(female)

fifistoosh HB User

I am assuming kegals are pelvic floor exercises (I am from the UK).
Me and my friends all have the same problem, they tell you to do your exercises when you are pregnant, but they don't tell you what will happen if you dont. I will listen in class in future LOL.

I wear a pad most days when I know I am to do any small kinds of exercise, OH the joys of being a woman.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:06 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

FairyMagick HB User
Lightbulb Re: when i cough, sometimes i pee :(

I don't have a problem with wetting accidents, but I do have an overactive bladder. I have been seeing a urologist. There are medications you can try. Ditropan, Ditropan XL or similar drugs should help you. I haven't had any children yet, but I know many woman have problems after they have babies with wetting accidents. Many of the drugs used for overactive bladder are used for people who have wetting accidents. I would ask your DR about getting some mediciation. I am in my 20's and people can have OVB or other bladder problems at any age. You should also see a DR to rule out any other problems. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2005, 07:18 AM   #7
(female)

midwestmom HB User

Wow, glad to hear I'm not alone!! Thanks everyone for your reassurance Now to just over this darn cough! urgh

Old 04-28-2005, 07:20 AM   #8
(female)

midwestmom HB User

Thanks FairyMagik. I didn't know there were drugs for this. I guess I should probably mention it to my dr. but I'm kinda embarassed

Old 04-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #9
(female)

HvnsAngel HB User

Great to hear I am not alone or something major is not wrong. I have 3 kids and I just turned 40. I had a cold recently and every time I coughed I would pee a little. (Seems like a lof stuff starting happening after that birthday).

Old 04-29-2005, 10:11 PM   #10
(female)

fifistoosh HB User

Just to let you all know, i have developed a cold. I am sneezing a lot and consequently peeing a lot.
Thank God for Tena Lady pads.

One of my friends told me something to build up my muscles. Every night ask your husband to lie on his back, you sit on his 'you know what' and squeeze with your internal muscles. like he is going to just lie there till i have done my exercises, i think not! I will keep to doing them by my self while ironing, waiting in a queue etc.

Let me know if any of you do try the exercise with your hubby or partner!

Old 05-01-2005, 05:13 PM   #11
(female)

sew_fine HB User
Cool Re: when i cough, sometimes i pee :(

This is quite normal for "moms". I too have had this happen. I had to have a total hysterectomy and at the same time they did a "bladder tuck". That was 3 years ago and voila - no more incidences.

I was also told to keep doing kegel exercises and to also try to stop "peeing" midstream and this will tell you how strong your muscles that control your bladder really are. The more you practice the better it will be. If it continues to be a problem, then perhaps you would benefit from surgery. Bladder tucks are not just for the "elderly" and it is so good to laugh, run, sneeze and not have to "worry about accidents".

Closed Thread