It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2005, 11:53 AM   #1

jasmine1976 HB User
Not pregnant but have serious pregnancy symptoms

I have read through SEVERAL pages in here and have seen a lot of threads about similar problems but none are exactly like mine so I thought I would just ask.

Today is May 2nd, I haven't had my period since Feb. 19th, which doesn't necessarily bother me because my periods are usually pretty irregular, although I have always had one, except that from the time I was 17 until about 25 when I was on the Depo shot and didn't have one all that time. (the depo may be the reason I am having problems now, I don't know). I am not on Birth control because I went off of the shot about 3 years ago because I felt like it was messing with my hormones.

What is just killing me is that I am having all of the symptoms of pregnancy but I KNOW that I am not pregnant. The worst of these is the CONSTANT nasea. I have thrown up many many times and feel like I could again at just about any second of any day, but I do pretty well at holding it back unless I just feel like getting rid of it. I am having cravings ALL of the time, but whether I eat or not, I am still nauseas as can be. In fact, I have to hold my food back while I am eating. I cannot eat the normal everyday foods that I normally always eat and crave, makes me sick, even water makes me sick. I eat stuff that I would never ever eat normally.

I am extremely fatiged all of the time. I usually excersise morning and night and lately, the only reason I do my excersises at all is because I am eating so bad that I feel I will never be able to get the weight off If I don't, but it is painfully hard to make myself do it at all, and it only gets done in the morning because by the time I get off work, I can't hardly keep my eyes open. I sleep for a couple of hours before I even get up to go to bed.

I have gotten acne.

I have constipation.

I have gone to the doctor, who actually acted like he hated his job and didn't want to be there and just wanted to get rid of me as soon as possible and the questions that I asked were practically answered with one word and even then, they came out sounding like I was the biggest idiot ever for not knowing this stuff. He gave me progesterone pills to take for 14 days and said that if I didn't start within 5 days of finishing them, I have serious problems but wouldn't elaborate on what that meant. Today is the 5th day and I still haven't started.

I don't necissarily care that my period is late, but I cannot go on feeling like this. It even feels like my equilibrium is out of balance which makes the nasea even worse most days.

I DREAD, with every being of my soul, going back to him but I can't get into the better ones around town for 2-3 months and I have an appt. with him next week. But I am not sure that he even cares enough to figure out what is wrong with me. I just cannot go on like this for 2-3 more months.

If anyone has anything that would help, I would EXTREMELY appreciate anything!!! PS, I don't ever take medicine of any kind except if I absolutely have to so I's not that. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
Re: Not pregnant but have serious pregnancy symptoms

Hey there.

I'm sorry that I do not have any answers for you. Just hang in there and go see your doctor (even though you don't care for him) I only say this because you stated it would take a few months for someone else. Good luck!!

Melly

Old 05-02-2005, 01:03 PM   #3

jasmine1976 HB User

I forgot to mention several things that might also help.

I do have a cyst on my ovary, the doctors say it is very common and not anything to worry about. But when I went to the doctor last time, he said it was a little inflammed.

I do plan on going back on birth control as soon as I get my period back.

During my regular periods, I do not have any kind of mood swings, cramps etc., they are just basically a minor inconvenience. Nothing changes except the fact that I have to start wearing protection.

I am VERY seldom under any stress. My life is pretty stress free for the most part.

And, I have had my thyroid checked. In my opionion, it is out of balance but it is still within normal ranges and the doctor doesn't want to give me anything for it unless it goes out of the normal ranges.

I am sure there is more I am missing but those are the more important things.

Old 05-02-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

I had a friend with a cyst on her ovary and she even had positive pregnancy tests! She had an ultrasound that confirmed the cyst. It was so miserable for her to have all the symptoms of pregnancy without actually being pregnant (the glory of being pregnant is that eventually all your symptoms will go away ).

I wish I knew what else to say! I am currently being treated for low thyroid function and my labs are "in range" according to the old criteria. I also have cycle abnormalities although I have the opposite problem (I bleed through most of my cycle). I just started treatment so I'm hoping it will help. I really hope you'll be able to find a doctor who will listen (I had to take a print out of the new criteria in with me before my doctor would do anything).

Have you had your adrenals tested? It does sound like you have something endocrine going on. Is it possible that you have the early stages of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome)? I've read that it commonly goes hand in hand with hypothyroidism.

Just some thoughts. I'm so sorry about all the yuck, it's such a bummer! I often wonder why some women sail through life without any health issues whatsoever and then there are those of us who seem to get them all ! LOL it's a mystery for sure!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 05-03-2005, 08:46 AM   #5

jasmine1976 HB User

Hey Kelly. Thanks for your reply. Your friend that had the cyst on her ovary, did she get it removed? How is she doing now?

Also, what are the new criteria for the thyroid? Can you tell me where to find them? I have never had my adrenals tested because after all of the Thyroid hype that I went through with 2 doctors telling me there was nothing wrong with them, I didn't want to go through all of the testing with them (and I hear they are more complicated) just to have the doctors tell me there was nothing wrong again. It gets extremely aggravating!! Sometimes I feel that the doctors could care less as long as you keep going and putting their kids through college

Thanks a bunch!!

Old 05-03-2005, 09:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Have a gynocologist check your LH, FSH and Testosterone hormones, which could indicate PCOS, which sounds like it may be. I have it and have experienced these awful symptoms. FYI-Progesterone, which is very high early in pregnancy, increases the naseau/vomiting/and accelerated heartrate, and you said you were given progsterone pills. Getting on Birth control pills helped regulate my periods (hadn't had one in a year) and it fixed my acne problem. If your testosterone is high a medication called aldactone may be ordered (it was for me). Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Good luck.
Bella
PS: I also had cysts one which ruptured and I had emergency surgery. Some cysts resolve on their own though.

Last edited by tattoogirl; 05-03-2005 at 09:06 AM.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:14 AM   #7

jasmine1976 HB User

Hi Bella, thanks for the reply. Did you have to start your period before you started your birth control? That may sound like a stupid question but at the same time the doctor gave me the prescription for the progesterone, he gave me the prescription for the birth control but said that I can't start on the birth control until after I start my period, not just around when I am supposed to start usually. Thanks!!

Old 05-03-2005, 10:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Well I was given progesterone and I had to take 2 cycles of it and I had a light period before I started the BCP. But honestly from my experiece (with irregular periods/PCOS), if the progesterone doesn't start your period, I would go ahead and start the BCP, which usually does. It straightens out your hormonal balance, which will make your period begin. It may start a little sooner than it should (keep taking) and within a few months the problem should resolve. But, of course, consult your doctor. I used ortho tricyclin, which was excellent, especially for the acne. Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. Good Luck!
Bella

Old 05-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #9

jasmine1976 HB User

Great, thanks a bunch Bella!!

Old 05-03-2005, 09:09 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

FairyMagick HB User
Arrow Re: Not pregnant but have serious pregnancy symptoms

Sorry to hear your DR didn't treat you with respect. If I were you I would see another DR and get a second opinion. Your symptoms sound like several different things. I had some of your symptoms and I found out I had a thyroid problem. You said your ranges are considered normal? Some times they can be off just a little bit and you can still feel the effects. I also have fibroids and cysts. I will be having a LAP soon to have removed and my DR will be checking for Endo. Hope you get answers soon.
Fairy

Old 05-04-2005, 07:10 AM   #11

jasmine1976 HB User

Hi Fairy, I would absolutely LOVE to go to another doctor and have an appt. with a different one on the 21st of June but I have to go back to this one for now because I just can't handle these symptoms, namely the naseau. But I was talking to my mom about it last night, she knew I had gone to the doctor but didn't know which one. When I told her which one she about had a heart attack, she said that about 20 some years ago, she went to him and during a yearly, he told her she had to have an emergency historectomy. He told her she didn't have time to even get a second opinion. She didn't go back to him and STILL has not had a historectomy and is just fine, after over 20 years. So no, he definitely isn't a good doctor but I have no choice right now.

I do believe there is something wrong with my thyroid though, from what I have read on the thyroid board, even though I am within range, I am not at the points that I should be which I think is causing some serious discomfort but since I am "in range" the doctors will do nothing about it. Which quite honestly is a bit obserd, considering the minute I go out just a touch, they will be jumping all over it.

I have been looking more into this PCOS but it kind of looks like they have given that name to anything that they don't know how to diagnose

I think that even if I don't start my period before too long, I am going to go ahead and start on my birth control anyway and pray it at least relieves the naseau. Thanks for your post!

Old 05-04-2005, 07:35 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

hey Jasmine1976-
Yes, you are correct about PCOS. But basically it is a hormone problem in your endocrine system, which is why the thyroid is/can be affected. I was on synthroid (for hypothyroid) which is one part of a hormonal imbalance, although this didn't resolve my other "PCOS" symptoms, which you have also described. I stopped the synthroid and eventually the hypothyroid resolved with the BCP'S in about 4-5 months. For the naseau you can try over the counter Dramamin (did help me) I was on Reglan (a prescription medication) IT WAS A THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED. A LIFESAVER! Ask your doctor to call you in a prescription to your local pharmacy. Good Luck!
Bella

Last edited by tattoogirl; 05-04-2005 at 07:37 AM.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #13

jasmine1976 HB User

I actually never thought about taking anything like dramamine How silly of me But my doctor never offered up anything like that either so I don't know if it would have interfered with the progesterone or not but that is a good idea, I will definitely be doing that!! Thanks!!!

Old 05-04-2005, 08:58 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! I'm feeling the same way at the moment about doctors. It can be such a battle I hate to request any further testing. They seem to just roll their eyes, pat you on the head and send you away (after all you're "healthy" Ugh, it's aggravating!).

A TSH over 3.0 is the new guidline for considering treatment for hypoT.
{removed}

As for my friend, she did have the cyst removed and the symptoms went away.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 05-05-2005 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Read postin guidelines. Websites are not allowed.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:10 AM   #15

jasmine1976 HB User

Thanks so much for the info Kelly!! I will definitely be checking that out. My TSH was ALMOST 5 last time, but wasn't quite there.

The information about your friend is something I really didn't want to hear I REALLY don't want to get the cyst removed but have heard the same thing from a lot of people. Thanks a bunch!!

Closed Thread