It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User
Breasts leaking, not pregnant!

Today in the shower one of my breast started to leak a little bit of colostrum. Not any amount, but it was definitly there. I have a 15mo DD, but have not nursed since she was 3 months old. My milk has been gone for over a year now.

DH and I used condoms for birth control atm, and I have been off the BCP for just over a month. I am just finnishing a very heavy period, and we have had no "accidents" so I'm sure I'm not pregnant.

My breasts are simi off limits, lol, they have not been very comfortable since nursing, so forplay with them is minimal (TMI I know). So I know it's not from stimulation.

I'm not on any type of medications, other then Tylonol 3s for headaches. What's wrong with me?!

Old 05-04-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
(female)

LadyoftheLake HB User
Re: Breasts leaking, not pregnant!

I breastfeed my son up until he was two, he is going to be three this June. Anyway I was told it takes two years for your breast to fully be done from breastfeeding. This means that there is still possibilities for sagging and for leakage. I still get some leakage from time to time, nothing major more like a drop or so. Also aside from pregnancy, lactation is a natural thing, though it mostly only happens in breastfeeding/pregnant women, they could leak anytime. I had a friend years ago that freaked out about her breast able to leak very slightly if the nipple was squeezed, she thought she was pregnant ( she never had sex), later she found out by her doctor that it is natural thing. I even heard of men being able to lactate, but never like us. Just some interesting facts so you know, that a woman could produce milk even if she never had a baby, when we are pregnant that sends strong a message to our breast to start producing, but it has been documented that in extreme situations such as natural disasters where people don't have much food, that a woman could start producing milk just as if she were pregnant. It is our natural instinct to nurture others. So don't worry, if it seems that you are soaking your shirts and clothes, then I would see a doctor but only if it gets that bad. Otherwise I think that your perfectly fine!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 09:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Hmm thanks for making me feel better LadyoftheLake.

But I thought that there had to be some sort of hormones or stimulation in order to produce milk. I didn't think it would just happen one day.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Typically, if you have abnormal hormone levels you will not cycle. There is a condition called hyperprolactinemia (too much prolactin the milk making hormone) but it is very uncommon (can occur along with hypothyroidism).

My sister in law still leaks milk sometimes (literally enough to wet her shirt) and her daughter is 3. Her cycles are fine though and she has no symptoms of hormonal dysfunction.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Closed Thread