It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2005, 07:54 AM   #1
Veteran

bullun HB User
breast pain, bruise like?

Recently in the past months I've discovered a tender spot on my right breast, the upper portion near the inside. Almost more inbetween my breasts. Initially I attributed this to tenderness from a underwire bra rubbing the wrong way. I've done self breast exams and do not find anything out of the ordinary. Although it is sore there like a bruise when pressure is applied.

I've seen my doctor about 3 or 4 months ago for my annual pap smear and asked them to performa breast exam. I inquired about it, and they felt nothing and indicated that they've had women complain from wearing incorrect bra sizes or one that just didn't fit properly.

I did a self breast exam last night, noticed nothign different, just the same "bruised" area. There is no redness, no signs of a bruise, no lump. My bra wire does not actually go this high but it is near that location.

Has anyone experienced this before? Should I be concerned and seek my doctors opinoin again?

Additionally inthe last week I've had chest pain, almost like a tight chest, but not impaired breathing. It also moves from either side of my chest and comes and goes. Usually worse in the mornings (allergies?) I have no idea if they are connected.

I am concerned though. Please any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated!

Old 05-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
(female)

Aleta145 HB User
Re: breast pain, bruise like?

I've had the same kind of soreness myself, and my doctor diagnosed it as costochondritis. It's inflammation of a rib or the cartilage connecting a rib. It can take a long time to heal, but you should go to a doctor about it because he or she can prescribe a stronger anti-inflammatory than you can get over-the-counter. When you have this kind of inflammation it tends to get worse unless you treat it.

Another thing it can be is mastalgia (breast pain), which is really common in younger women who still menstruate. The more common type (cyclical) coincides with your menstral cycle, like a few days before your period when you're retaining water. That could be it if you've noticed it being worse on certain days of the month. If anti-inflammatories don't help, hormone manipulation could do it. Either way you should see a doctor to rule out a more serious cause.

As for the chest pain, it could be related...or not. I would always err on the side of caution when it comes to chest pain. It could just be a muscle strain from exercise or from lifting improperly. But wouldn't it be reassuring if you knew that for sure?

Hope this helps some.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 11:52 AM   #3
Veteran

bullun HB User

Thanks, one last question. I know that this is different tenderness from what I experience during my menstrual cycle. Its more of a bruise, is that similar to what you experienced? I think I will make an appointment to be on the safe side, but your commentary has eased my concern.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
(female)

Aleta145 HB User

Yes, it feels like a bruise, but doesn't look like one. The only mark I have is from my poking it, LOL!

Closed Thread