It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User
Lots of questions about 2nd yeast infection in a month!

GRRR....I have ANOTHER yeast infection after only a month! I have no idea why, I haven't taken antibiotics. I eat yogurt everyday. I don't eat sugary foods often, and I never drink beer, or any other alcohol or eat lots of bread!!!

DH has no signs of one and I'm sure a male would know if he had one right? I mean everything is on the outside, how could he not know? And we use condoms for BC anyway.

I took the advice from someone here last time and used monitstat for 2 weeks instead of 1 to be sure it was gone, and I'm sure it was, it had too be. But now it's back.

I am supposed to go for my yearly pap before June because my Dr is taking her maternity leave then. Can you go with a yeast infection? I really wouldn't want to though :P Will a yeast infection alter the results from a pap at all? Should I wait till it is mostly gone and go, or just wait untill she comes back to work in 3 months and go then?

Old 05-18-2005, 08:46 AM   #2

kristina4752 HB User
Re: Lots of questions about 2nd yeast infection in a month!

You should go so she can properly diagnose and treat your infection.
I had a yearly done while having a yeast infection before, it was a mild infection but they have to do a pap for a proper diagnosis anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by worried_mommy
GRRR....I have ANOTHER yeast infection after only a month! I have no idea why, I haven't taken antibiotics. I eat yogurt everyday. I don't eat sugary foods often, and I never drink beer, or any other alcohol or eat lots of bread!!!

DH has no signs of one and I'm sure a male would know if he had one right? I mean everything is on the outside, how could he not know? And we use condoms for BC anyway.

I took the advice from someone here last time and used monitstat for 2 weeks instead of 1 to be sure it was gone, and I'm sure it was, it had too be. But now it's back.

I am supposed to go for my yearly pap before June because my Dr is taking her maternity leave then. Can you go with a yeast infection? I really wouldn't want to though :P Will a yeast infection alter the results from a pap at all? Should I wait till it is mostly gone and go, or just wait untill she comes back to work in 3 months and go then?
Hello

Monistat sucks. lol. Never works for me anyway. Have you ever tried a Diflucan pill? That is the ONLY thing that will clear mine up when I get one. It's one pill you take and it clears the infection up. Sometimes constant yeast infection can be a symptom of other problems. Do you have annual exams from your primary and bloodwork? Also, a yeast infection has nothing to do with your pap. Definately keep your appointment.

Good luck.

Melly

Old 05-18-2005, 09:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Sometimes men can have one and have no symptoms. I would definately go to the doctor for a proper diagnosis. There are different kinds of yeast infections and the Monistat may not cure the one you have.
I am with the other poster - Diflucan is the only thing that works for me and it's easy. Just one pill.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User

I can relate!!! I had an exam while having one in Feb and I have one now~I don't understand why.The doctor said some women in their child bearing years are more prone than others.I have 3-5 yearly!Store bought meds quit working, the doctor said that happens, you can become immune to them after a while.She gave me prescription cream which is stronger and really works but no advice on how to stop it from coming. Me & hubby are trying to concieve and it seems like after ovulation alot of times, I get yeast infections!!! I'm at a loss so if anyone has advice I'd love to hear it!!!Thanks ladies!

Old 05-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

If never heard of Diflucan, is it a perscription or otc? I'll go for my pap once it starts to get better I guess and ask my Dr about it.

I've had a couple yeast infections befpre when I was only 10 or so, but none since then. It's just wierd for it too happen twice in a month when I never really get them. But I guess it could just be the monistat masking it and it comming back, I will diffinitly check out the Diflucan.

I'm know it's a yeast infection for sure, I've had then before and I know what too look for.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Last edited by worried_mommy; 05-18-2005 at 11:31 AM.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

DIFLUCAN is prescription. You take 1 pill (usually) and that is it. It works great! You need to abstain from sex while you are treating yourself for yeast. ESPECIALLY if you use a latex condom and the cream yeast medicine, since it comprimises latex's integrity (makes them less effctive/breakage). Your partner could have yeast too. He should treat himself when you are. He can use over-the-counter lamisil (I believe it takes 1-2 weeks for him). He should cover the penis and all of the groin area, especially around scrotum. This is why it is probable he is reinfecting you (grion/scrotum is not covered by a condom).
Bella

Last edited by tattoogirl; 05-19-2005 at 06:24 AM.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Thanks for the info! I'm going to ask my Dr about Diflucan. I'm going to tell hubby treat himself for one too, I really don't think he has it, but I'll try anything to make sure it doesn't come back. We don't use latex comdoms because I am allergic to latex, and we never had sex while I've been treating this or the last one. The last one lasted for about a week but I treated it for 2 weeks.

Thank you all for your help!

Old 05-19-2005, 09:21 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

NO prob. I also use lambskin condoms (allergic to latex). My bf and I were having the same problem...even though it didn't appear he had a yeast infection (jock itch) but when I went this route, it finally cleared up! Good luck!
Bella

Old 05-19-2005, 05:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi Ladies, Just thought I might add a thought or two. Yeast infections are caused (as you well know) by an overgrowth of yeast (normal in the vaginal tract) . You can also have symptoms resulting from an undergrowth of yeast. Using monistat or others other than directed might have caused an undergrowth. I had about 2 months of recurrect infections when I hit menopause (hormonal changes, I think, can make one more suseptible to them). I drove my gyno nuts for 2 months. First it was yeast, then BV, then yeast...on & on..a vicous cycle. I finally added acidopholus (tablet form) to me daily vitamin ritual, and this seemed to help. I even, and I know this sounds weird, but would use plain yogurt in one of those applicators, and that seemed to ward one off, if I felt it coming on.
Wish you good luck & hope you get it resolved soon. But you should see your dr just to make sure what you are treating is just yeast, and not some other infection.
And try to stay away from tight clothing, as apparently the area needs to dissapate the natural moisture or yeast thrive in this environment.
I tried the Diflucan, too. It worked great on the yeast infection, but I had an allergic reaction from it, and ended up with hives for 3 weeks.

Old 05-19-2005, 05:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Thanks for the replies! I know why I have another yeast infection!!!! I asked DH if he was sure he didn't have one and he should pick up the stuff to treat himself anyway. (he never complains about anything) He said no he doesn't have a yeast infection, but he will pick up the stuff after work anyway. I said so there is no signs at all? He said no, just a little rash from his gym shorts chaffing him. I almost fell over laughing, just the way he said it. Well there ya have it...I gave it to him and he passed it back to me.

I have a pap comming up soon so I'll tell my Dr about it anyway, but I don't feel so bad about trying to figure out why I got another one so quick! I have been very careful since the last one not to get another. And poor DH didn't want to complain about his little rash because he didn't think it was anything, LOL.

Tattoos DH and I use AVANTI condoms, made from polysomethingican'tspell. They are expensive, but we don't use anything animal derived.

And thanks HELLASRULES. I know 100% it's yeast not BV. It's gross thick white discharge with a kind of yeasty smell and really ITCHY! It's so fun being a woman! :P I tried yogurt with my last one but I think it was too bad,after 3 days it wasn't getting any better but A LOT worse. This one I just went straight to the drug store because I figured if it was the same one comming back I should use something stronger to get rid of it completely. I could be wrong, but it was just my thinking.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:07 PM   #12

bastila HB User

I've taken Diflucan off and on for several years. It works but my dr. usually gives me several weeks worth, and the first time i was on it for two months. My husband and i have both been treated at the same time, because he keeps giving them to me. Once again i am fighting the yeast/candidia. I am tring a new supplement called Betaine HCL. Has anyone used this supplement before, and what where your results. I am hoping this works.

Last edited by bastila; 05-23-2005 at 03:02 PM.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:19 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User

I have heard alot about partners passing it back & forth but when I asked my doc she said "men do not get yeast infections"so what is right????I wish I knew cause I get them alot too.Who knows?????

Old 05-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Men get "jock itch". Not exactly the same as what a women gets, but it is all caused by an overgrowth of yeast, hence you could pass it back and forth.

I've never heard of Betaine HCL sorry

Closed Thread