It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

scattergold13 HB User
late period - negative test results?

Hello all

For the past week I have been terribly stressed because of the simple fact that my period is late, a week exactly today. My periods are almost always exactly 28 days apart, once or twice a year it might be a day off.

So I broke down and took a home pregnancy test (my boyfriend and I always use contraceptives, which is also something that confuses me about how all of this is happening).

So let me draw out for you the events of this month-

New job, started it 2 weeks ago (which is, btw about 98% female, my last job I was the only female)... fairly new relationship... my car died 3 weeks ago and had a hefty $500 repair bill.... temporarily living with my sick mother... I am trying to get into my own apartment.... and then this.

Needless to say... alot of stress.....

But can stress really lead to a period to be delayed this long?

What else could be contributing to this?
Is it true that entering a largely female dominated environment can effect your cycle, like my new job?
I've also heard that being sexually active for the first time in a long time (which is the case in my situation) can cause a delay.... has anyone else heard any of this?

Hoping for input... and a little reassurance - I dont particularly want to be pregnant at this point in time. :\

Old 06-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User
Re: late period - negative test results?

Stress can really mess you up and your cycles. And yes working with women can change your cycles, they kinda start moving to where you are closer in time of have AF at the same time. I know that was the case with some women I worked with that we were friends after I been there a while and we discussed it, I wouldn't think it would happen that fast, but with everything else going on no doubt it is the stress. Take care!
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 02:33 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Oh yes stress can not only make your periods late but can cause them to stop altogether. If you are ovulating and having periods then your body is saying that it could cope with having a baby. If you are ill, underweight, stressed etc etc then your body recognises that you couldn't cope with a baby at the moment and that is why ovulation is delayed or stopped.

Old 06-04-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

Ditto what the other ladies said, it has happened to me before, when I worked in an office full of women, my cycle changed right away. In a few months you will all be getting your cycle at the same time, that's real fun, all that PMSing at once!!

It is possible of course to have a negative pregnancy test, and be pregnant also, It happened to me with my son, I took a home test after I was one week late, and it was a BFN, then I kept waiting and waiting, and finally took a blood test after I was three weeks late, and it was positive.

Try not to stress, that has also caused me to be late before, it sounds like you're under quite a bit of stress right now ~ I know easier said than done, right?

take care,

~~heather~~

Closed Thread