It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

klasikal88keys HB User
Can a uterine fibroid tumor cause a longer period?

I am 51 and have a uterine fibroid tumor that my doctor says is making my uterus the size of a 4-5 month pregnancy. She also said that it should shrink after menopause, but that could be up to another 10 years. Could this be the reason that I bleed for 3 or more weeks during my period? This happens maybe ever other month. I will be seeing my doctor next month but thought I'd try to get some answers before then. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
Re: Can a uterine fibroid tumor cause a longer period?

I do know that fibroids can make you bleed more. Have you had an ultrasound done to rule out polyps or had an endometrial biopsy? Are you bleeding heavily for those three weeks or is it more of a nusience type bleed?

Reason I ask is that I have a golf-ball sized fibroid along with a 12-14 week size uterus. I recently had an ultrasound and I do have a polyp and am going in for a D&C next month and hopefully, have an ablation done at the same time. I don't bleed for weeks, just heavily for a few days at the start of my cycle.

Last edited by sunnydaze1; 06-14-2005 at 11:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
(female)

klasikal88keys HB User

I've had an ultrasound and it just shows the fibroid and no polyps. I've had this since I was 36 and I am now 51. My mother and grandmother both had fibroids and each of their's was also found at age 36. They both had hysterectomies. My bleeding is not very heavy, just annoying. Last year I had a bloodtest done that showed my hemoglobins were very small. My doctor said I could have iron deficiency anemia. I have had a couple very heavy periods, then I can go a month or two without any. I guess I should make a decision whether to have surgery or keep going through this for possibly the next 10 years. Good luck to you.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
(female)

dorothys HB User

I have a friend who had started her normal period and it just never stopped. She was bleeding for at least a month and was severely anemic by the time they figured out that she had fibroids. She finally had an ablation done and hasn't had a period since! So, yes, fibroids can definitely cause a longer period. Hope this helps.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:21 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

FairyMagick HB User
Post Re: Can a uterine fibroid tumor cause a longer period?

Hi,
Fibroids do cause bleeding. I had a large one and I bleed over a month one time and 3 months another time! You should have your blood count checked. I had my fibriod removed you don't have to have a hysterectomy to have it removed.

Last edited by FairyMagick; 08-10-2005 at 09:24 PM.

Old 08-31-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
(female)

Jaynee HB User

Hello, I have the same diagnosis as you do. Did you have the procedure yet?? I am in the process of scheduling mine. Any advice you could give???

Thanks Lori

Closed Thread