It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
(female)

Has Questions HB User
Is it bad to use tampons all the time?

I was just wondering if it is ok to use tampons all the time, every time I have my period? The reason I am asking is because my last 2-3 periods, it seems like on the 2nd day of my period, when I try to take a tampon out, it doesn't want to come out because it's dry inside or something. It almost hurts to pull it out sometimes because it doesn't come out as easily as it normally does.

It also seems like when I have my period, and I get the dry feeling, the inside of my vagina gets like "swollen" or all puffed up, and it also seems like my cervix is closer to the opening of my vagina. Sometimes it feels like there's hardly room to put a tampon in there. Is this ok???

I have never used anything but tampons.... I got my period when I was 11 and I'm 20 now.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 07-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Justawondering HB User
Re: Is it bad to use tampons all the time?

Constant use of Tampons imposes the risk of TSS or Toxic Shock Syndrome... which is somewhat rare yet very dangerous... I would suggest using the lowest absorbency tampon possible... and.. use pads at night just because its rare doesnt mean it cant happen to you... Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
(female)

hannahbob04 HB User

In my opinion, if you use a tampon (with the lowest absorbency) and removal of it 4-6 hours later is painful because it's not saturated, you really shouldn't use one (until your period gets heavier).

I'll try to explain what I do, but this might be kinda hard to follow...I get a multi-pack of tampons with a few light ones and mediums and heavy tampons so I have the lowest needed absorbency throughout my cycle. My first day is really light so I stick with pads but I keep some tampons with me if I leave the house just in case it decides to sneak up on me. Then, usually, for the next 2 or 3 days I use 1 tampon during the day while I'm at work/school (for no more than 4-6 hours) and after I remove it I use pads the rest of the day, unless I have evening plans and then I'll use 1 tampon for 4-6 hours and stick with pads the rest of the night. Whenever my period is light enough that I'm not paranoid I'm going to spring a leak (it doesn't matter how long the pads are, I still manage to miss either in the way front or way back), I wear pads. And I try to wear only pads when I'm not out and about, usually on the weekends. I've only used a tampon 2 or 3 times at night and only because my period was so heavy that I feared I would get blood all over, but I set my alarm to go off after 4 hours to get up and change my tampon.

But, yeah...definitely anytime you feel your tampon is drying you out and there isn't a lower absorbency, you should stick with pads.

And don't forget to wash your hands before and after changing your tampon!

Old 07-05-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
(female)

Has Questions HB User

So is the TSS really the only thing I have to worry about when using tampons all the time? I use them from the minute I get my period to when it finishes. I change them often, maybe too often, but I also use them at night. I put a new one in when I go to bed and then take it out when I wake up and put in a new one.

I guess my last period was just really light and it only lasted 3 days, which isn't normal because it normally lasts 5-7 days. I think it's because I've been on BC for about 4 months now though. But since my period was light, the tampons weren't getting fully absorbed because there just wasn't that much blood. I will try getting some super slim ones or something. I normally use regular. I used to be able to use super all the time with no problem. Maybe it's just from the BC!

I just really can't make myself use pads, I think they're disgusting! I can't stand it when I feel dirty.
Thanx

Last edited by Has Questions; 07-05-2005 at 07:33 PM.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
(female)

hannahbob04 HB User

BC can make your period lighter and shorter. I think it's a good idea to try the slims. But don't undermind the severity of TSS. All tampon users should educate themselves about the condition and the symptoms to look for and get medical attention immediately if they think they might have it.
Good luck!

Closed Thread