It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2005, 06:43 AM   #1
(female)

cutiecat HB User
First Abnormal Pap, Scared

Well I received the dreaded call a few days ago. The Nurse called and said I have abnormal cells on my pap exam and they could not rule out high grade. So now I'm scheduled for a colposcopy in 3 weeks. I'm terrified about this news.

I was wondering if these things could have thrown off the pap I was still slightly spotting from my period and I did have sex 2 days prior not the 72 hrs. they mentioned? The doctor used the new liquid pap which is supposed to be more accurate than the old pap tests so now I'm really worried they detected something.

Has anyone else had a abnormal result and had a colposcopy? Was it as awful as I have heard? Any info would be great on this. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
Re: First Abnormal Pap, Scared

I had an abnormal pap during pregnancy. Six weeks later (after delivery) they checked again and it was still abnormal. They did the colposcopy (not painful at all) and then did cyrosurgery (frezzing treatment) not too bad at all. It was uncomfortable but not painful for me (oh and btw I am a huge whimp when it comes to pain!) So nothing to worry about!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Justawondering HB User

Probably some form of HPV which isnt much to worry about.... the above post explains it all..... No need to lose sleep over it... just keep up with your doctors appointments and take care of yourself..... Good Luck....

Old 07-17-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I had a colposcopy/biopsy 6 months ago for questionable cells, and I go back next week for another. I was so scared the first time, I was shaking all over. Believe me, it's not worth worrying about. I hardly felt the biopsies, and cervical canal scraping was a little uncomfortable, but it's over so fast you don't have time to get worked up! Everytime my doctor was going to punch a biopsy she told me to cough. She punched when I coughed and I was concentrating on the cough so much I hardly felt a thing. I read alot about the procedure on the internet and I was prepared for the worst. I know everyone feels pain in a different way, but I am the biggest chicken, and it was alright. I didn't feel any cramping afterwards either. Next week I will be going in with alot less stress! Good luck, and try not to worry.......

Old 07-17-2005, 06:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I think I would ask if they could just repeat the PAP one more time and see what happens. Its what my doctor did when mine came back abnormal and it ended up being a bacterial infection, easlily treatable with antibiotic cream. This was several years ago so maybe things have changed, but I was told at the time that common procedure was to repeat the pap several weeks later before going to more invasive procedures. It couldn't hurt to at least ask.

Good luck!

Nancy

Old 07-17-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

PLEASE do NOT worry and stress yourself over this! I had my very first abnormal pap last year in March...scared me to death...because of course I thought the "C" word and I was TRULY terrified. In fact, they said that it showed mild cervical dysplasia (pre-cancerous cells). I had to wait one very LONG month to have the colposcopy done...and then 1 more week to wait on the results...and it came back fine. So, I had to do another pap 6 months later....and it was....abnormal again!!!...BUT it didnt show cervical dysplasia that time...just abnormal cells, which they told me that it could be as simple as an infection that my body could/would take care of on its own. So, again...I had to go for another pap 6 months later. I was DETERMINED that it would come back fine.....I waited until my period was over for a complete 10 days, I had NO sex for at least 10 days prior to the pap.......I didnt use any kind of feminine products......I made sure I didnt do anything that could cause it to be abnormal. IT WAS FINE!!!!! YEAH!!!!!......
The other poster mentioned possible HPV....that isnt always the case for having abnormal paps. You will find that most posters/articles will claim that....but it isnt true....I do not have HPV.

As for reasons why paps can come back abnormal...you done the one thing that could cause it to come back abnormal.....having it done around your period. ANYTHING can cause an abnormal pap....from an infection, to having sex too close to having the pap test done, too close around your period, etc..... {removed} ....you will see ALL that can cause false abnormal paps....and use those examples to avoid things that can potentially cause you to have another abnormal pap. That is how I found out what I could do to see if it was something I had done "wrong" and to avoid before my next pap. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 07-17-2005 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Read posting rules. No how tos for searches.

Old 07-17-2005, 08:52 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Justawondering HB User

I just said 99 cases out of 100 involve some strain of HPV.... I didn t gaurantee it.... thats what doctors are for... just preparing her for what I thought she might need to hear....Anyway... Good Luck and no need to worry... Keep us posted....

Old 07-17-2005, 09:35 PM   #8
(female)

cutiecat HB User

Thanks to everyone who has responded. All this information is very helpful.

I know it may sound strange but it's very comforting knowing I am not alone and that others have gone through this too. I will try to relax I know there is nothing I can do at this point but hope for the best. I think I will sleep a little easier tonight.

Old 08-01-2005, 01:36 PM   #9
(female)

neats20 HB User

From my experience, doctors are SO quick to biopsy, even when it's unnecessary. I'm about to make a post about my experience. I had the same result on my PAP and they had me scheduled for a biopsy and all, but then it turned out that my HPV test had turned out negative... so they scared me to death for nothing. As far as I know, you're entitled to have your sample tested for HPV. If it turns out negative, you don't really need to have the biopsy. If it's positive or if they won't test you for HPV, you might want to have a repeat PAP before going through with the colposcopy, because "couldn't rule out HSIL" only means that the lab technician couldn't tell how abnormal the cells were.

Old 08-01-2005, 01:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

neats20---when they done my colposcopy (pap showed mild cervical dysplasia)...it wasnt just to see if I had HPV...it was to see if there were any cancer cells....which luckily....it came back fine on all accounts. so, i am not understanding why they would not continue the plans with you to do the colposcopy just simply because the HPV was negative. the biopsy is to make sure everything is fine....in every direction.

Old 08-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #11
(female)

neats20 HB User

Oh yes, but I just had ASCUS cells... no dysplasia, no lesions, no HPV. The two doctors who were going to do the colposcopy told me it was completely unnecessary to have the procedure and that they didn't know why I had been scheduled for it in the first place.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #12
(female)

neats20 HB User

Ladybug- you're absolutely right though... if there's dysplasia, colposcopies should definitely be performed... it's a good thing to make sure everything's ok. The only thing that made me mad in my case was that the doctor didn't even bother checking the rest of my results to see if the procedure was necessary.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:16 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

oh i see. i just didnt want cutiecat to think that if HPV was negative, that a colposcopy would be an unneccessary procedure...but in your case, i guess it would have been. personally, i am glad that i had mine done regardless...it put my mind at ease about not having cancer.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:39 PM   #14
(female)

neats20 HB User

Oh definitely, thanks for clarifying that. And you're also right.. sometimes it's worth having a procedure like that just to put one's mind at ease..

Closed Thread