It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
(female)

timexgirl HB User
thermal balloon ablation

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has ever had a thermal balloon ablation. I am 47 and have been having really heavy periods and long periods. I had a uterine biopsy a few days ago to eliminate the possibility of cancer. I'm not a doctor, but I do not believe it is cancer.

Anyway, my doctor has suggested possible treatments, and wants me to think about it in the next couple of weeks. He suggested 1) horome therapy treatment, 2) a D & C, 3) a D & C with the thermal balloon ablation, d) and removal of my uterus.

I am considering the ablation because it doesn't seem as drastic a surgery, and in all probability, it will stop my periods. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with it.

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:49 PM   #2
(female)

dorothys HB User
Re: thermal balloon ablation

My doctor pretty much went over the same options with me. I couldn't do the pill because I get migraines occasionally and I guess that increases the risk of a stroke as a side effect (not something I want to even mess with). So I decided to have the ablation. I had it done on May 25th. My first period after the surgery was just as bad if not worse than before, but I guess that's normal for some people. My second period was much lighter, but still what most people would consider to be a "normal" period. My doctor says that it could still get lighter as my uterus scars over with time. I would definitely recommend it as something to try before going to the extreme of having a hysterectomy, especially if you don't have cancer or anything like that. The recovery was very easy since there is no incision to heal.

Good luck!

Last edited by dorothys; 08-09-2005 at 10:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 07:36 PM   #3
(female)

eye_4_got HB User

I am 39 and about 3 - 4 years ago I was having terribly heavy periods (which never happened to me, they had always been sort of light). I finally sought help from my gyno who put me on a regimen of bc pills. I took the pill everyday without skipping a week to help eliminate the bleeding. I tried this for about 6 months. It was horrible. Not only did it make my migraines worse but I was spotting almost daily. I never really got a period, but also never knew when I was going to spot. It was very uncomfortable and inconvenient.

My sister-in-law's mother had a similar problem and goes in about once a year for a D&C and that seems to help, but who wants to have to do that annually?

My gyno told me about endometrial ablation and how it is much less invasive than removing the uterus. I had to have an ultrasound and biopsy first, but was told it was procedure in order to make sure that there was nothing cancerous causing the irregular bleeding. Once I checked out fine I went ahead with the ablation. My doctor uses the Novasure procedure. If you Google "Novasure" you can check out their website.

That was two years ago this June and it was the best thing that happened to me. I was told that it would probably just lighten the flow of my periods but that a percentage of women (I can't remember, I think it was 40% or so) experienced no periods at all after the procedure. Well, I haven't had a period since then and I'm loving it! Because my uterus is still intact it does not mess with your hormones. There was a lot of discharge and spotting for the first two months after surgery but after that stopped it's been heaven. I know of two other women who had this procedure (one is a nurse in my gyno's office) and they have had the same results. No more periods!!!

It's done on an outpatient basis and the pain was bearable. If you've had children before it will be a breeze (kind of like BAD cramping, but nothing that a hot pack and a little pain medication can't fix). By the next morning I was up and around and only relying on Ibuprofin for the cramps. I was given the choice of being put out completely or just in "twilight". I chose to be completely out because they said you might smell the burning. Yuck!

It's important to know that you shouldn't have this done if you are planning on having children as it reduces the thickness of your uterus and pregnancy can be very dangerous.

I hope this information helps and good luck with your decision.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I also had this done 3 years ago. I am 47 and had irregular periods, sometimes 2 a month. My doctor also gave me those options. I didn't not want hysterectomy...it's been a blessing. Still have very very light periods, but nothing like before. They are irregular at times, but I figure it's du to my age....peremenepausal.......it was nothing to have done. Didn't have any pain at all............but I also heard you CAN NOT have children after this procedure...........

Old 08-13-2005, 10:28 AM   #5
(female)

timexgirl HB User

Thank you alll for the suggestions and advice. I have been leaning toward the ablation if there isn't cancer involved. I haven't had children, so I am concerned about having a little more pain. I really hope my periods will go away all together if I end up having the ablation!! At 47, I don't need them anymore!!

Old 08-13-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
(female)

eye_4_got HB User

Good luck! I will be praying that it is not anything cancerous causing your problems. I'm sure you will do just fine with the ablation. The pain really isn't bad, but if you are worried just make sure you get a rx for pain pills from your doc.

I hope you have the same great results that I had. It really is nice not having any periods. And with all the money you save on not having to buy pads and tampons, you can treat yourself to something fun!

Closed Thread