It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
(female)

cambria HB User
Abnormal pap after giving birth ?

First off, I'll give some background info - I had been with my boyfriend for 4 1/2 years. We started having sex 6 months after we got together. Before we did that, we talked about our sexual pasts to rule out a concern for STDs. Neither of us had been with anyone prior, nor had we done anything else that would put us at risk for STDs. Fast forward 4 1/2 years later, when I decided we should take a break. Our break ended up kind of turning into a break UP, and a few months later, I was in relationship with someone else. We were only together for a few months, but I was STUPID and had sex with him a few times without protection. Then things ended with him, and my ex and I got back together shortly after that and started having sex again. A few months after that, I found out I was pregnant. I had my pre-natal exam when I was 3 months along, last October. My pap came back normal, but the doctor said I had an infection that's really common among women who have just became pregnant. So she gave me the medication for that. I had my baby on April 20, and didn't go back for my 6 week-up check up until I was 12 weeks postpartum because I had gone back home to visit my family. Anyway, that pap just came back abnormal. Needless to say, I'm very scared. The first nurse I talked to said that abnormal paps are usually due to HPV, but can sometimes be due to other things. The next day, I called back to ask some questions, and I asked her (it was a different nurse) if it could be due to the fact that I'd recently had a baby (I was thinking maybe inflammation or infection). She flat-out told me no.

Here's how it breaks down - the last time I had sex with the 2nd guy was in the middle of February. So, that makes it 7 months before I had my pre-natal exam and my pap came back normal. Does that make sense? Could I still have HPV, even though that first pap came back normal? Oh, I should also note that my boyfriend and I talked again before we started having sex again, and he said he hadn't done ANYthing with any other girls while we were broken up. And, I had been continually bleeding and spotting after I had my baby, up until the day before my pap that came back abnormal. I've read that having your period or spotting can sometimes affect a pap? But since I wasn't actually bleeding that exact day, but the day before, I'm not sure? And I've never had an abnormal pap prior to this. Also, they didn't want me to come in for the colposcopy until I had ended my next period, but I haven't gotten it yet (I'm still breastfeeding so my periods are irregular), so they told me just to go in this Tuesday.

I'm just so stressed out over this... I don't have insurance, so my parents are going to be paying for whatever has to be done... and if I do have HPV, I REALLY don't want to tell them that! But since they'll be paying for it, I'm sure they'd find out one way or another. Also, I never told my boyfriend about this other guy... DUMB, I know.

So is it possible that this is just from having a baby? Or is it most likely that I have HPV?

Thanks, everyone! Any comments would be appreciated!!

Last edited by cambria; 08-14-2005 at 08:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kirafaye HB User
Re: Abnormal pap after giving birth ?

My mum had an irregular one after giving birth and she said its commen and to wait 6 months and then do it again....

Old 08-14-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
(female)

lostinreality HB User

It depends on what the results of the pap are as to what you will need to do.

After my second baby I had a high level 3 bad pap at my 6 weeks check up. Level 4 is obvious cancer. It turns out I did have the HPV virus. They had me come back in and they did I believe it was the LEEP(?). It is an electric current on a spring like wire. That they used to take off like a 1/2 inch off my cervix. That was over 13 years ago and I haven't had a bad pap since.

Do not worry yourself too much over this. These cells grow alot faster while your pregnant than when your not. They are able to catch these problems extremely early and treat them suscessfully.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

When I was pregnant I had an abnormal pap smear at my first check up. Low grade dysplasia is what the results said. They checked again a couple months later and it was the same thing. After I gave birth they repeated the pap six weeks postpartum and this time it came back high grade dysplasia . Pregnancy can make the cells worse I guess. Anwyays a nurse told me the same thing even though they never tested me for hpv. Please note that hpv will not result in an abnormal pap right away. It can either take many years or even one to have the pap come back abnormal. Your parents won't really know why your pap came back abnormal unless they surf the internet and discover hpv is the leading cause. Even then you don't have to admit anything. You can just say prengnacy can cause it and I bet they would believe it. My guess is you could have contracted hpv from the other guy and prengnancy caused the hpv to speed up in changing the cells. I don't think you have anything to be worried about. I wouldn't tell your boyfriend anything about the other guy unless he asks. Afterall, you guys were broken up when it happened.

Closed Thread