It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
(female)

LJ56 HB User
Bacterial Vaginosis & Yeast Infection treatment ? - sorry TMI

I have been dealing with the BV/YI cycle for the past 8 months and it is getting old. I was diagnosed with BV and YI first in February. I took Flagyl by mouth to treat the BV and then diflucan for the YI. It would go away and then come back again. I got treated 3 times this way and each time it came back. So I was told the next time they would give me metrogel to treat it. I moved cross country in July and of course I have it again. I went in to a different clinic since I am not where I was before. I told them everything and they gave me metrogel vaginal and I'm taking diflucan and will probably take monistat too. This all started when I ended up pregnant and miscarried in February. I know that it is definitely BV & YI because I had the tests show it is. I had been tested for STD's back in March when it was about 2 months after I had slept with my boyfriend (he has been in Iraq since January and we are no longer together). So I know that it isn't anything else either.

So I started the metrogel two nights ago and the diflucan this morning and the stuff that is coming out of me is disgusting. This is where the TMI comes in. First a clear thick gel (almost like the sticky stuff that they use to keep credit cards onto the paper when they mail them) is coming out. So I looked down there to see what was going on and to get it out and it is extremely white and this clear thick gel mixed in there. It is overcome by white everywhere. It is so raw feeling down there and swollen and red. Is this normal with the treatment? Is this from the fact that the oral flagyl wasn't helping and it's been building up? I've always had the clear thick gel but not as much as this time. I don't have my insurance yet. It will start up again next month. So I will be going to a gyn at that time but until then I've had to deal with clinics. I would love to hear about anyone elses experiences.

I have been trying everything I can to prevent it and stop it from coming back. I'm hoping with the metrogel it works. I have been taking acidophilus pills everyday for the past 7 months. I haven't been with anyone since January so I'm not getting reinfected or anything like that. I dealt with this once before about 6 years ago when I was 20 and the metrogel and monistat worked and I didn't get again until this year. So I'm crossing my fingers that it works this time too!

TIA!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
(female)

dyana HB User
Re: Bacterial Vaginosis & Yeast Infection treatment ? - sorry TMI

hi I am 51 years old and have never had a yeast infection or BV till last Feb. Also I have been celabate for 15 years so what's up here? I also took all of the medications and herbals that you did but cuz' of no insurance the doctor would not re-fill anything. I read on this site to use boric acid capsules for 2 weeks (1 in am and 1 in pm)and it would help. It really does. I know the word acid sounds awful but thnk of the pain!!! You can get a bottle of boric acid and empty capsules at most drug stores. I can control this by inserting one capsule vaginally as soon as i feel BV coming back. DO NOT TAKE THIS BY MOUTH!!!
ONLY VAGINALLY. Do a search in this forum for "boric acid" and read what others day.
Good luck

Old 09-16-2005, 05:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I'm 38 and had my first BV nearly 3 years ago and my second case recently. My treating doctor said that it could be due to a number of things, but most often it's due to an imbalance of the bacteria which resides inside of the vagina.

She went on to say that a lot of women will get BV after a their period and that possibly this is due to the vagina becoming less acidic while you are on your menstrual cycle. This would explain using the boric acid i'd say as it would help to make the vagina regain it's acidity. Hmmm, will have to keep this in mind.

I forget the name of the medication my docotor prescribed me for the BV. It basically contained 5 pills and they ALL had to be taken in one hit. She said if this didnt work then i'd have to go on a course of antibiotics over a number of days.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

I also have alot of problems with BV infections. I find the Boric Acid to help

Old 09-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
(female)

LJ56 HB User

Thanks! I'll have to try the boric acid if this doesn't work with the metrogel and diflucan and comes back.

But has anyone had this type of experience from taking the meds? It has gotten to be so much white clumpy stuff coming out and very raw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ56
So I started the metrogel two nights ago and the diflucan this morning and the stuff that is coming out of me is disgusting. This is where the TMI comes in. First a clear thick gel (almost like the sticky stuff that they use to keep credit cards onto the paper when they mail them) is coming out. So I looked down there to see what was going on and to get it out and it is extremely white and this clear thick gel mixed in there. It is overcome by white everywhere. It is so raw feeling down there and swollen and red. Is this normal with the treatment? Is this from the fact that the oral flagyl wasn't helping and it's been building up? I've always had the clear thick gel but not as much as this time. I don't have my insurance yet. It will start up again next month. So I will be going to a gyn at that time but until then I've had to deal with clinics. I would love to hear about anyone elses experiences.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:05 PM   #6
(female)

kellylynn25 HB User

hey what has worked for me was acidiphilous...u can buy it at walmart for like $5 a bottel...its a vitamin ... good for stomach too and prevents yeast from growing.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
(female)

LJ56 HB User

Thanks! I do use acidophilus and get it from Walmart. I have been using it for about 7 months now. I've heard it takes a bit for it to really work in my body though. We'll see.

Old 09-24-2005, 10:58 AM   #8
(female)

sarra HB User

Hello all, I have been able to get great results for chronic/recurring BV, by using potent pro-biotics and a special vaginal pro-biotic suppository. These are available online. {removed} Hope this info helps. I also made all the usual lifestyle changes such as reducing sugar intake, stopping BCpills, using an olive oil based soap to cleanse that area and avoiding long, hot baths, which I used to love. Also eating lots of yoghurt. Good luck, Sarra

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 09-24-2005 at 12:31 PM. Reason: No how tos for searches

Old 09-24-2005, 10:04 PM   #9
(female)

Miette1 HB User

I went through a similar yet shorter cycle of all this. I got a YI after my period, so i got some generic 3-day YI medicine from walgreens, which sort of took care of the YI, but then i got BV, which i took anti-biotics for, which then gave me another yeast infection. I know how you must feel. These things can be very stressful, and irritating. I practically lived in the hospital for a week due to all this. Anyway, I'm not sure what it was called, but there is a pill you can take, that gets rid of the YI. It's only one pill, and it works within 2-3 days. I'm not sure what it is called, and maybe you mentioned it, but it worked for me. If you haven't heard of anything like this, then ask a doctor. I've also heard that putting yogurt on your vagina for a YI helps, and in some cases cures. My suggestion is to get rid of the BV (by taking anti-biotics) first then deal with the YI. Dealing with them both at once will over stress your body, physically and mentally. Goodluck.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:37 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I agree with the above poster, deal with the BV first and then the yeast. For some reason i never have luck with those once off treatments for yeast. I always seem to do better with the 7 day treatment.

The other thing with yeast infections is don't use the same product consecutively to treat the infection. (eg: if you use Caneston this time, use another brand next time) Apparently if you use the same product each time the yeast becomes accustomed to it and it takes for ever to clear up or you think it's cleared up but it's really still there, just not as pronounced.

Also, if you have a partner, treat them as well as yourself for yeast as it can be passed back and forth. If you must have sex then use a condom or abstain until you are in the all clear.

Old 09-26-2005, 04:37 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User

the white clumpy stuff is yeast. You are more prone to this if you have another infection like the bv. My doc said that swimming in a lake, or a pool that is not kept right, whirlpool tubs, even bathing instead of showering can cause bv. Something to think about. I know it is hard to understand, you keep asking yourself why is this happening? You do everything right, wipe from front to back to not spread fecal bacteria to the vagina. Only one sex partner or none and still it comes back.
good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 10-02-2005, 06:20 PM   #12
(female)

LJ56 HB User

Thank you so much for all the replies! I think the YI is back again since I only used the one day treatment this time and the diflucan by mouth. But my period is also due at any minute now. So maybe it's just because my period is due that things are getting a little bit out of whack. But I know that I don't have BV right now because I don't have the odor and that comes right away when I have BV. So I'm thinking about getting a 7 day treatment for the YI and hoping for the best. Then I will be making an appt to see a doctor for as soon as my insurance kicks back in (will be Nov. 1st). This way I can get everything treated properly. Thank you again!

Old 10-03-2005, 07:44 AM   #13
(female)

LKline24 HB User

Ugh! I am at my wits end with this as well. I have been battling for about a year now as well. First I tried Cipro. Which seemed to help, but then it seemed to come back after a couple of weeks. I am such a clean person (as I am sure all of you are, or you wouldn't be here asking about this) so I freak out when it comes back. My fiance and I have had sex about 2 times in the past 3 weeks because of it. I'm so self-conscious about it, it's putting a huge damper on our sex life. I will shower before we have sex, but then as soon as we start, I smell it. (sorry, TMI) When I shower, I clean and clean and clean down there and it STILL comes back. I don't know what to do anymore. I think I will try the boric acid and see what happens. I just don't have the money to keep going to the doctor for them to continue giving me something useless.
{removed}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 10-03-2005 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Please make a new thread for your question so the original poster can get theirs anwsered.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:08 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User

I read someplace else that the boric acid was only for treating yeast. {removed}
This has nothing to do with cleanliness I don't think its a bacteria over load or a certain bacteria that isn't supposed to be there at all. I did read that douching can make you more apt to get it.

{Read posting rules. Please make a new thread for your questions so the original poster can get theris answered.~Modinatrix21}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 10-03-2005 at 01:20 PM.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:38 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

When you say that you "clean and clean down there", what do you clean with? I've only ever had to lots of BV, but have had countless yeast infections over the years and have learnt pretty much what gets the yeast happening. These day's i'll only get the yeast if i've taken antibiotics. With cleaning down there, i ONLY use warm water these days and sometimes will mix a solution of tea tree oil and water to bathe the area as tea tree is a natural yeast inhibitor, or so i've heard. I can't use any soaps or vaginal washes, even though they say they contain the right PH level. The vagina is self cleaning also, so no need to go over board.

With stubborn yeast infections you often need to treat in in the stomach and not just the vagina, take a 7 or sometimes even 14 day yeast reatment, abstain from sex, have your partner take treatment incase he is passing the yeast back to you, use a condom if you MUST have sex, no hot tubs or bubble baths, look at your diet, drink PLENTY of water, yeast LOVES sugar and foods containing yeast.

Closed Thread