It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
(female)

MariaRegina HB User
Bubble baths -> yeast infections?

I've heard that bubble baths can cause yeast infections, and I'm wondering if that's true? I've never taken a bubble bath in my life (I'm nearly 21 years old, heh) and have been majorly stressed out lately. I was shopping yesterday and spotted a key lime scented bubble bath/body wash/shampoo... and the idea is very tempting. It's not something I'd do like... every day LOL... but it does seem like a good way to relax. Just want to make sure I wouldn't be causing myself any problems first.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
(female)

LJ56 HB User
Re: Bubble baths -> yeast infections?

I think it depends on the person. I know people who can take bubble baths but I definitely cannot. If I even used a scented or different soap I get a yeast infection so soaking in it would totally cause one. I even get one if I used scented laundry detergent. So I guess it depends on you. I also know that it can cause UTI's as well. But that also may be with everyday use.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 01:17 PM   #3

Daphnee HB User

Maria,

Alot of women, even little girls can develope yeast infections from a bubble bath. It causes some women problems and others can have a bubble bath everyday and nothing happens. You can put alittle in your bath water but it wouldn't be wise to stay soaking very long. I am sure you can find milder products to use but be selective.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
(female)

Skylar333 HB User

When I take bubble baths I usually rinse off real good in the shower before getting out. And I don't get dressed right away. I haven't had a problem. I thinkyou should be fine, but try rinsing off right after and maybe only putting boxers on or going commando for awhile.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Soaps and anything that foams like bubble bath are alkali. The natural condition of a healthy vagina is acidic, which is not a good place for organisms that cause infections. If you are one of the 10% of women who take in water into their vaginas when they sit in a bathtub (I got this percentage number from a gyno a few years ago), then you are taking in water that will change the acidity of your vaginal tissues. This will create a perfect breeding ground for organisms that prefer alkali conditions.

While growing up in a household that had a bathtub but no shower, I had frequent vaginal infections. After I switched to 100% cotton undies and started taking showers (and never again sitting in a bathtub or swimming pool or sauna), I stopped having vaginal infections.

Sometimes I am wistful when I think of women who sit in a hot bubble bath with candlelight and relaxing music. Sigh. But I wouldn't be able to relax knowing that I was going to have a vaginal infection shortly afterwards.

--Rheanna

Old 09-21-2005, 07:33 AM   #6
(female)

laomy HB User

wow, ive taken bubble baths my whole life (im 24) and ive never had a yeast infection.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by laomy
wow, ive taken bubble baths my whole life (im 24) and ive never had a yeast infection.
laomy,

Enjoy! I'm envious. You're one of the 90% of women who have no problems with the alkali soapy water in places where it shouldn't be.

--Rheanna

Old 09-24-2005, 10:23 PM   #8
(female)

Miette1 HB User

I don't know if a bubble bath will cause a YI, but i know it can make one worse. Like most people said it depends on the person.

Closed Thread