It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

nickels05 HB User
Can Yeast Infections spread?

I'm a relatively healthy 21 year old female recently diagnosed with a first-time yeast infection. I was given a single (oral) dosage of Diflucan, but it didn't work. The following week I was to start my period (and I did), but following that it still hadn't gone away. I'm currently treating myself with over-the-counter 7-day vaginal suppositories, and there seems to be a reaction to the medication, but (with only 2 doses left) it doesn't appear to be completely gone. I'm almost positive that if it doesn't disappear all I need is a higher dosage from the doctor. During these few weeks, however, I've been concerned about this bacteria spreading. I'm particularly concerned about oral thrush, since it is the same bacteria. Am I being a little too paranoid or is this possible? I'm constantly washing my hands and using hand sanitizer, but I have a habit of touching my face whenever I'm anxious, and this whole ordeal has me completely stressed out!

In case it matters: During my pelvic exam, prior to diagnosis, I was routinely tested for diabetes. Tests have came back negative in the past, and this time they said they'd call if results came back positive. They never called, so I assume it's another negative. Diabetes doesn't run in my family, either.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Can Yeast Infections spread?

For some reason the single dosage med's never have been of benefit for me either. I have always had success with the 7 day med's. I've had yeast infections quite a number of times over the years and for some reason there is one popular brand which even after 7 days leaves me with that feeling that the yeast infection hasn't cleared up. I have since learnt which brands work better for me than others. I find the pessaries easier to insert, yet the messy creams work better for me. Everybody is different, so you really need to experiment and find out what works best for you.

As for spreading it elsewhere, so long as you practice good hygiene and wash your hands before and after using the med's, use clean underwear, change your towels more regularly, either abstain from sex or get your partner to use a condom and treat your partner as well as yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2005, 08:27 PM   #3
(female)

nickels05 HB User

It seems that I now have oral thrush. I went to "express care" at the local hospital yesterday (before it had spread to my tongue), but they weren't sure what it was, so they just gave me another 150mg of Diflucan for the yeast infection that I still have. Sure enough, this morning my tongue had a slight burning sensation. There is a thin white coating over most of it and small, red raised bumps have appeared. The white patches are only in my throat. They've been there for over a week, so I'm hoping they won't spread to my tongue.

Other than trying the Diflucan again, what can (or can't) I do to help control this?

I have no idea what to do for a doctor. My primary physician is always overwhelmed with patients and sends me to urgent care. Urgent care denies my insurance and sends me to the ER. The ER then sends me to express care where they don't seem to be very thorough. After I told them it's been over a month that I've had the yeast infection, they ran no additional tests, tried no other treatments. When I complained about my throat, they merely looked in my throat with a light. They didn't bother checking my ears or lymph nodes -- nothing. Pretty lousy for $500 visit.

Last edited by nickels05; 10-04-2005 at 08:35 PM.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Nickels05, that is lousy treatment!! Is there any other place/doctor you can visit who will take a swab to determine if its yeast or something else? It's just a simple swab, i can't believe doctors can't even do that.

While you are waiting, could you buy some acidophilos capsules/powder which helps combat yeast. When you take this, it should be taken on an empty stomach half an hour or an hour before meals. Also cutting out sweets, dairy, alcohol, yeast, caffiene, helps too. I once did a special diet and cut out a whole heap of foods and took some oral medication and vitamins for about 4 weeks and it helped amazingly. Previously i'd been suffering off and on for a few years.

When it comes to oral thrush, i'm not so certain as if i've had it it was only a minor case. But acidophilous should help as they say that yeast starts off in the gut as candida albicans and then spreads through out the body if it's unchecked. So if you have a bad case, it really does need to be treated in the gut with oral meds.

I hope you find a sympathetic and knowledgable doctor as dealing with this can almost send a person crazy.

Closed Thread