It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
(female)

shelley49001 HB User
Unhappy Blood Clots while on period and taking Coumadin?

Hello, I have been taking coumadin for 6 months now for a DVT in my left calf/behind my knee area, and hopefully its almost gone, but here is my problem. I am 38 and have had abnormal periods since I was in my early 20's, I blame it on the fact that I took bc too young, anyways my periods use to be severely painful when I was a teenager, I had to stay in bed with a heating pad on for the first 2 days, but never passed anything but the norm. I have had 4 miscarriage's, one of them I had to be induced to start the process, after all of them, I passed clots that were huge, but considering what my body just went through, it wasn't abnormal and the doc's assured me that I would be fine, and I was. 4 months ago I had my "first" period since taking coumadin, and I was suprised that I only spotted for one day and I thought to myself, wow I can do this! Well the next month came and I didn't have a period at all, but since I was abnormal anyways I didn't think anything about it, until the following month and I have NEVER in my life seen so much blood It poured out of me like water, and my periods usually last 4 days tops, now they go forever it seems like about 6 days or longer. I went through 100 super plus tampons in 6 days, now that is ALOT of bleeding and I started passing clots (taking coumadin for clotting) and they weren't the usual little clots that some woman pass during a normal period, they were half the size of golf balls, and that is big coming out of someone. I bled so hard and the cramps were so bad I had to take Darvocit to relieve some of the pain, considering I am taking coumadin, I can't take anything over the counter except Tylenol and that wasn't going to touch the pain I was feeling, I got really scared and almost went to ER. I told the doctor about this and he informed me if I bleed that heavy again, then I need to go to ER. There is a procedure they can do, something to the effect of using hot water inside your uterus will stop the bleeding and make future periods less severe. Since my blood is already thin, my period was like a running faucet, it seemed like there was no end in site. Needless to say I stayed laying down with my feet up for that entire week. I then missed the next month after all of this, thank god, I don't think my body could have handled it. Now this month, I started and again, the bleeding is super heavy, but the cramps aren't so bad, I decided that I would skip a dose of coumadin to see if it helps the blood not be so thin, and it worked ok, but lastnight I had to go back on my regular dose and today, OMG here came the golf ball and the blood was extra heavy...When I started taking coumadin they told me that my periods would be a little different, they NEVER told me that I would be going through this, has any one out there experienced what I have? If so, please tell me what worked for you. I may have to take coumadin for the rest of my life, I don't know yet, but one thing is for sure, I don't think my body can go through this all the time. Thanks for reading and I hope no one has to go through this, its HELL for sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
(female)

starlet32079 HB User
Re: Blood Clots while on period and taking Coumadin?

Shelley,
Do you have APS/Hughes Syndrome? I just got out of the hospital on September 15th ( was in for 1 1/2 weeks and discharges and back in 1 1/2 days later) I was in for a total of 2 1/2 weeks. I had 12 pulmonary embolisms, 3 clots in my left leg, and 3-5 in my lower abdomen. I had to have emergency sugery done ( they found a defect in my illiac vein and artery) and stay in the ICU for 5 days and 2 days later I was discharged. 1 1/2 days later I was back in the Emergency room again with a clot that was from my abdomen all the way down my leg to my foot. They ended up finding out I tested posotive for Lupus Anticoagulant. It has nothing to do with lupus it is a antibody in your blood that makes it more likley to clot. That is one of the number one reasons why women have recurrent miscarrages.
I have just started Warfarin on August 29th and not had a period since I started it (39/40 days ago). I hope that mine is not like your. I hope that it getts better for you. I can't imagine how awful that must be. When I had my second daughter in march or 2004 I had a c-section. I was hemeraging after and the clots were so big I had to push them out .
Have you decided if you are going to go to the doc or the ER this time for the big clots? I would at least to have it documented.
Let us know what happenes...I would be interested in knowing. What has you INR level been? Is your blood to thick or to thin?

Starlet

Old 10-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

I dont have any advice..just wanted to give my support.

Clots are my biggest fear (have health anxiety). I dont know why, but they really scare me. I have no history of them hwoever.

When I had my daughter I bled alot. The pitocin drip wasnt working properly and my uterus wasnt contracting. My placenta didnt deliver and he had to get it manually - YUCK. After going home I passed clots the size of grapefruits!!! I went to ER and got checked out and they said I was fine. It as scary. Now when I get my eriods I get clots - sometimes quarter size or so..maybe even a bit larger at times. I also have bad cramping. This never happened before giving birth.

How did you find the clots in you legs? I am always scared..every pain or cramp I feel in my leg I get paranoid it is a clot.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
(female)

starlet32079 HB User

Cheers,
I knew something was wrong with me for about 1 month before actually going to the ER. The docs kept sending me home telling me I was fine. I think that they thought that because I was so young that nothing was wrong ( i am 26).
I finally knew I needed to see someone the morning I woke up and my left leg was slightly purple. I had a really bad cramp in my butt cheek (a pain in the butt) and finally about two hours after that I started getting pain in my leg. Otherwise I never really had any leg pain but I did have a low grade fever for that whole time. I also had chest burning and slight heaviness. That was because some of the clots went to my lungs.
If you are concerned about it and you know something is wrong or you don't feel right you need to go see a doctor. I wish I would have been more pushy with the docs. The docs in the ER told me I was luck I didn't die from how serious all of the clots were.
As far as you clots go with your period...have you been to your ob doc? If you haven't I would just to make sure everything checks out okay. I hope you feel better. Let us know how you are doing.

Starlet

Old 10-10-2005, 06:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

At my last appt I mentioned it and it seemed of no concern to him. He didnt address it at all.

So what syptoms were you having that made you go to the ER the first times?

Old 10-10-2005, 08:04 AM   #6
(female)

starlet32079 HB User

Well it went kinda like this:
I went to my primary doc in the begingn of august and told him I didn't feel well. I had a slight fever 99-100 degrees. My chest burned when I would take a deep breath. He took a chest x-ray and it was normal so he sent me home and said it was just a virus. Then in the middle of August I went to the urgent care because the burning in my chest still wasn't gone and I had my period for 3 weeks and was also having some discomfort in my left pelvic area (next to my ovary), I also still had a slight fever on and off. He also did a chest x-ray and a pregnancy test and they came back normal too. He sent me home with a Rx for Zantac. Then on August 29th I went to another doctor at my clinic and told her of all of the symptoms I had been having but noticed that morning that my left leg was slightly hurting and was turning purple when I would stand up. She did a pelvic exam and felt around for any lumps or masses. She couldn't find anything wrong. She did a urine analysis and it was full of blood. She finally came back into the room and said she had no idea what was wrong with me and I needed to be sent to the ER right away. When I got there I was given another pelvic and they put a cathiter in for a clean urine sample and it had blood in it too. The sent me for a CT scan and saw alot of abnormalities. They did another CT but with contrast dye this time. That was when they saw all of the blood clots.
I had about 3-5 clots in my left leg, some big ones in my left abdomen by my ovary, and alot of pulminary embolisms (clots in the lungs). I ended up also being told the blood in my urine was from a rare for of kidney disease called Medullary Sponge Kidneys (unrelated to the clots). I was taken to about 5 more CT scans and then the next morning sent to emergency surgery to break up the clots.
The second time I had a clot was 1 1/2 days after I was released form the hospital the first time. I was trying to get my oldest daughter ready for school and I couldn't even walk. I had to crawl around my house. My leg was PURPLE and SWOLLEN. It was very painful compared to the first time. I had to be pretty much carried down a flight of stairs to get to the car and get to the ER. This time it was just one clot that went from my stomach all the way down my left leg into my foot. I also had some clots in my lungs again. This time they couldn't do surgery because it was to risky ( there are some big risks with it...internal bleeding and bleeding in the brain). I was in the Hospital again for over 1 week. I still have that clot and it will take about another 4 weeks or so to go away. It doesn't hurt as bad though, just a little throbbing and it gets swollen when I stand for a long time.
Don't let the doctors push you around. I know what that feels like. If you are concerned about it then you need to be seen again.
Here is a little test...when you pull your foot (toes) up towards the sky does it hurt? That is one of the tests they have for clots in the leg. I will say though that it didn't hurt when I did that test the first time when I had all of those clots.
common symptoms of a clot are:
-low grade fever
-pain
-swelling
-discoloration

You don't have to have those symptoms but those are the common ones. Do you have any of them? Do you have any rish factors? Like I said before, if you think something is wrong you push to find out what is wrong. I knew something was wrong but I just didn't think it was anything as serious as it was.
What are your symptoms, and how old are you, do you have any risk factors?

Starlet

Old 10-10-2005, 08:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

I am 31 and I dont have those symptoms. My biggest symptoms are EXTEME fatigue, anxiety, lightheadedness, taste of blood in throat (tho no appearance of blood) - think this is sinus related, bad sinus headaches, muscle pains...

I have no reason to think I have clots..it is just a HUGE fear of mine. Always has been.

Did they ever give you a reason why this happened to you? Were you high risk for them, is it genetic, anything????

I cant imagine going thru that. I am so sorry that happened to you.

Because I have anxiety disorder I have a hard time getting Drs to take me seirously. But I also have a hard time trusting them. So the problem is mine too, ya know??

Old 10-13-2005, 06:50 AM   #8
(female)

starlet32079 HB User

cheers,
Yes, the reason why I got all of these blood clots was because of a defect of my vein and artery in my legs and I also have a blood disorder which makes my blood more thick and easier to clot.
I understand the anxiety issue too. It is hard to believe that you are ok when you feel so awful. Fatigue has been a issue with me for the past 6 years. Since I have been on blood thinners though it has gotton slightly better. I have heard that from alot of people too.
I do believe though that if something doesn't feel right you should keep pushing to find out what is wrong. As long as you are doing everything you can too keep yourself healthy on your end and still feel yucky I would keep pushing the docs.
I am 26 yrs old with 2 young daughters and the doc all kept telling me I was to young to have any major problems. Well look what happened. I am not saying that there is anything wrong but you know your body and when it just feels off.
Let us know how you are doing.
Starlet

Closed Thread