It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Vitex/Agnus-Castus/Chasteberry for irregular periods

I have recently begun using this herb to hopefully get my period regular. I was wondering whether anybody else has had success with this herb. I've done some research on the net and apparently this herb has been used for thousands of years and is a natural way of correcting the menstrual cycle due to a hormonal imabalance. During my research i've also come across so much information stating that females have successfully had babies after taking this herb if their infertility was due to a hormonal imabalance. I had tried to have children years ago and doctors never found anything wrong with either myself or my husband, but my periods have never been regular and i even had difficulty knowing when i was ovulating. So i'm wondering if my inability to even fall pregnant was a hormonal thing. Hmmm, anyway, i dont think i want to start having babies at 39 or 40 or even later. I'd be happy to just get my monthly cycles on track.

I have been on three different forms of liquid drops from a naturopath, which aren't helping and i don't want to go on the pill when i don't need it for birth control and it causes too many side effects for me personally. I'd rather sort out my irregular periods by a natural source, besides once i go off the pill i end up with the same problem i had in the first place.

Has anybody used a natural method or know of anybody who has used a natural method to fix a period related problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Re: Vitex/Agnus-Castus/Chasteberry for irregular periods

You may want to check out this great book at the library. It is by Dr. John Lee called What your doctor may not tell you about premenopause. For women 30 and up. This book is not just for women in premenopause. It talks about correcting hormonal imbalances, infertility and so much more. It may give you insight on what vitamins and supplements you need to take for your problem.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

greenjppixie HB User

I began taking vitex in Aug. b/c DH & I are TTC. The first month I used it I ovulated about 3 days sooner and had less pre-menstrual spotting than I did the previous month (that's a problem that I'm trying to correct). Then, due to a series of unfortunate, yet minor events, I had an almost 2 week break from vitex. Low and behold, that time I ovulated later and had more spotting. Now I can't say for certian that the vitex is helping, but I tend to think so. I'll have to see what happens this month to know for certain. I have read some of the same info that you have read and from what I understand it is a really affective herb. Good luck with it.

Old 10-25-2005, 03:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Thanks for the replies

Belle2003, yes i did come across the title of that book in my research, but that's about all. I never looked into it further as i thought it might not really apply to myself.

greenjppixie, well i first dabbled with the vitex some months back, but i thought it was something you only took while your period was happening. No wonder it didn't work for me at the time. Silly me!! The instructions on the container didn't go into great detail, just to take 3 tablets per day before meals. Once my period had more or less finished i stopped taking it, thinking it could have an adverse affect. This time, after more research, i kept taking it and have been on it for a roughly 3 weeks. This is the first time i've not had major spotting after my period has finished. Up until my last period recently i had spotted from one period to the next, which is a major annoyance and i nearly caved in and went to the doctor for a prescription for BC pills.

Anyway, i feel the vitex IS doing something for me, but i'll keep monitoring and i'll post here incase the info helps others. I can't believe the naturopath i was seeing didnt put me onto this herb long ago. Instead i wasted time and money going to see her and nothing she gave did any help.

Yesterday while i was out buying another lot of vitex, i was looking at all the other vitamins etc and i came across the fact that raspberry leaf does a similar thing to vitex.

Best wishes with trying to conceive. I know how trying and emotionally draining that can be. I just wish that i'd known of vitex way back when i was trying to have a baby. Don't give up and don't focus too much on "trying". I've also heard that it's good to stick to an organic diet as the hormones, additives and basic junk they put in our foods and feed to our animals these days prevents some women from conceiving. Take care

Old 10-25-2005, 05:47 AM   #5
(female)

greenjppixie HB User

Don't know if it's true, but I heard that taking Vitex as a tincture instead of pills is better. I have been drinking red raspberry leaf tea, so it's funny that you mentioned that. I do mostly organic (and 100% vegetarian), but I have an unforutante sweet tooth so can't say that my diet is truly healthy !! I also wanted to mention that Vitamin B6 is supposed to do some of the same things as Vitex. You have to be careful though, b/c I think too much can cause nerve damage.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I believe it is true that most herbs in liquid form are faster acting than in pill form, but i can't get the liquid form and fingers crossed, so far so good, no inbetween period spotting yet. I'm so excited

Old 12-14-2005, 11:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just to keep things updated, i seem to be having more and more success with Vitex. The most important thing i want is to have no carry on spotting from one period to the next and i seem to be succeeding so far. The second thing i'd like is to have a regular period and know roughly when it's due. I've been tracking everything in a diary and my periods seem to be arriving closer and closer to a particular date.

I've been taking two tablets daily. One in the morning and one in the evening. They are best taken on an empty stomach before meals.

I guess the next thing to wait and see is when i finally stop taking the Vitex and what will happen then. At least it's been cheaper than birth control pills and no side effects.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:55 AM   #8
(female)

greenjppixie HB User

I'm glad to hear it's working out so well for you. I am actually taking a break from it this cycle. I'm going to see an acupuncturist on the 29th and she will probably make a chinese herbal mixture for me. I want to make sure all the other stuff is out of my system. I still have an unopened bottle, but I'm hoping I won't need it for a long while!

Closed Thread