It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 07:35 AM   #1
(female)

kbrkman HB User
Question recovery time for ovary removal

I had my left ovary removed last week due to three large cysts that would not go away. When the Dr. explored she also found three large polyps in my fallopian tube(is this normal?). She also removed another cyst from my right ovary and performed a DNC. Everything came back benign thank god. But I am not sure about the length of my recovery time from all of this. I am still very tired and have quite alot of pain on my left side. Is this normal? Also I do alot of lifting at my job so does anyone have an idea on how long it will be before i can return to work. Thanks

Last edited by kbrkman; 11-01-2005 at 08:49 AM.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
Re: recovery time for ovary removal

What type of surgery did you have? Laparoscopy or Laparotomy? I had the Laparotomy to remove my left ovary because I had a baseball sized tumor growing on it. They couldn't get it out laparoscopically because it was just too large. If they had been able to do that, my recovery time was to be two weeks. It took me six weeks before I could go back to work. I felt pretty good at four weeks though. I did have some pain for a while on that side and decided it was just from the healing process. I had my chiropracter use his adjustment gun on it and the pain subsided by the 8th week. Basically it vibrates the area. It could have been some scar tissue trying to form and adhere, I'm not sure. I also had some cold laser done on my scar to help it heal faster and I think it worked. But it's hard to say if I would have healed that fast without it.
Did they ever tell you why you had cysts on both ovaries? Do you have PCOS?
Hope your feeling better soon,
Nodi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
(female)

kbrkman HB User

Thankyou so much for talking with me about this. Today is the first time I used this site and I was afraid that no one would respond. The surgery I had was done Laparoscopy. The Doctor never told me why I had the cysts. I don't know what PCOS is.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

PCOS is polycystic ovarian syndrome. There is no known cause for it but many women have it. It causes the ovaries to have cysts and is a cause of infertility. Women with the disease can often have symptoms of excess facial hair, irregular periods, weight accumulation around the abdomen, high blood pressure and other symptoms. It is not curable but can be treated with medications, change in diet, and exercise. There is a lot of information about it out there.
You were lucky you had the laparoscopy because your recovery time should be much quicker. I ended up with a big scar all the way down my belly from my bellybutton. I was just happy when I woke up that I still had the rest of my female parts. It wasn't cancer or they would have taken everything. It was a big relief.
Hope this info helps you,
Nodi

Old 11-02-2005, 07:51 AM   #5
(female)

kbrkman HB User

Thank's Nodi for all the information you are great. I don't think I have PCOS by your description. I am glad you are doing well. Had you ever known of anyone having polyps inside their fallopian tube before. This was something new to me. Also I seem to become tired so easy and some what emotional is this normal? If so how long do you think this could last. Oh and you are right about the scar my incision is quite small although with my luck it did become infected and is still quite sore. Thank's for helping me.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
(female)

admired1 HB User

Hi kbrkman, I had surgery last week also to remove an ovary I had the surgery you did and I'm feeling better as the days go on, the only thing that bothers me some is my belly button, the doctor said it was from the camera that he used look in my belly, did your doctor have to mess with your belly button also?

Old 11-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
(female)

kbrkman HB User

Hi admired1, Thanks for the reply. Yes my belly button is where the main incision is and where the cut became infected. It is quite sore with some discharge but feeling better. Do you work out of your home? If so when does your dr expect you to be able to return to your job? I am to call mine tmr with a check up. I am feeling better although I still get tired easily and have some cramping on the left side where the polyps and ovary were taken out. Thanks for the chat I really appreciate it.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

I had some polyps in my esophagus that had to be removed. It is possible that they can become cancerous but most are benign. I don't know if I had any polyps in my fallopian tube or not but many people do, they took that with the ovary. You can also get them in your colon and elsewhere.
Glad your incision is getting better,
Take Care,
Nodi

Old 11-03-2005, 04:34 PM   #9
(female)

admired1 HB User

Hello, kbrkman I do work outside of my house I work at a call center so I just sit all day and answer calls from customers but I still hane not went back to work yet I have a dr's appt at 11 in the morning and I'm gonna ask my doc is it safe for me to return to work, you said your incision had gotten infected, was you using any type of antibacterial creams or ointments like neosporian after you left the hospital, I'm glad you're feeling better I get tired easily also I have to slow down sometimes and tell myself that I just had surgery, well hopefully your pain will soon stop altogether talk to you soon.

admired

Old 11-04-2005, 08:51 AM   #10
(female)

kbrkman HB User

Hi, admired1 hope your dr appt goes well. Thankyou for the information. It sounds like we are having alot of the same feelings. I talked to my dr yesterday she's going to have me stay home one more week, which will make three off before returning to work. I think this is due to the lifting that I do and being on my feet all day. Also I have a wedding to fly to Las Vegas to attend on the 16th. This was my dr feels I will be more ready to travel. I did use neosporian on my incision, and continue to do so, it looks better although still red with a little discharge. Good luck if you return to work soon hope all goes well, it's been nice chatting with you. kbrkman

Old 11-04-2005, 08:56 AM   #11
(female)

kbrkman HB User

Hello, Nodi thank's for the information it sure does help. I talked to my doc yesterday she said after next week I should be able to return to work. This will make three, I think this is because of the lifting that I do on my job. Also my neice is gettting married in Las Vegas and I am flying out there on the 16th. My doctor felt that the extra week would insure that I will feel more like traveling. It's been great chatting with you, thank's again ...kbrkman

Closed Thread