It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2005, 05:33 PM   #1

bellezza_scuro HB User
nipple discharge that smells sour

I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about this--if its a cause for concern at all.

for several years now I've noticed a tiny amount of white discharge from my nipples, one more than the other. it always smells like sour milk. very noticably. also, the nipple that produces more of it, is also inverted.

I first noticed it being inverted when I was around 15/16. it had not been inverted before. its not always like that, but it is more often than not. it takes way longer to become "pointy" than the other one and it only stays that way for a very short time.

I've read things indicating it could be a sign of something serious if one nipple suddenly becomes inverted or it there is unusual smelling discharge...

the thing is, this started when I was around 16/17 (the discharge) and I have never been pregnant so the discharge is nothing to do with that obviously.

but what could it be?

I don't have any lumps in my breasts though I also have not had a mamogram because I'm only in my early 20's.

should I get it checked out by a doctor? I'm afraid they will think I'm getting worked up over nothing considering the chances of it being a sign of cancer or something are way smaller due to my age....

thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to bellezza_scuro For This Useful Post:
dashamika29 (04-17-2012)
Old 11-16-2005, 04:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User
Re: nipple discharge that smells sour

it does not matter if you are only 20---go get a mammogram and perhaps an ultrasound! yes it is probably nothing, but at least you will put your mind at rest. It could just be from the milk duct. I have discharge every so often but mineis hormonal. Good luck and keep us posted. Take care and GET A MAMMO!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #3
(female)

greenjppixie HB User

I would get it checked out too. Don't be surprised if you have to be a bit demanding. The med community does not like to give mammos to women your age. I once had a lump that could not be felt, but was picked up on a CAT scan of my lungs. It took me forever to get a mammo ordered b/c it couldn't be felt. It wasn't until my DR had the actual scan that she took me seriously. Turned out to be a minor problem, but it was annoying to be treated with such disregard just b/c of my age.

Old 11-17-2005, 02:07 PM   #4

bellezza_scuro HB User

yeah......I'm not a very forceful person though lol

however, my aunt had breast cancer and a partial masectomy at the age of 31 which, while considerably older than I am now, is still very very young for that sort of thing.

it is probably a milk duct though I don't know why...if I squeeze my left nipple (I know, tmi LOL) a bit of the discharge comes out.

I pretty much always have it but I don't really pay attention. maybe I only get it during certain times of the month...

Closed Thread